Ann Arbor Off-Topic

wolverine

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I just had Zinggerman's for the first time yesterday. Wow. I have never been so unimpressed with a restaurant in my life. I knew it was expensive to eat there, but still wanted to try it at least once. So, since I was in AA, I took my sister there for dinner. I felt really bad for her because her sandwich was so bad, she couldn't finish it. It was drenched in honey mustard.

My sandwich was the most popular one under the turkey menu. It had NO flavor, other than the bland taste of guacamole.

$30 for 2 sandwiches and a lemonade each. What a horrible horrible dining experience. The physical space was outstanding, but the food (for which we went) was an absolute disgrace! I've failed to understand what the big deal about this Ann Arbor point of interest is.

Panera Bread: Perhaps the only time I'll opt for "chain America" over the mom and pop support. I'll save a couple hundred pennies too.

Can we begin a discussion about this place? I need enlightenment about Zinggerman's Deli from the locals!

Nope, I pretty much ignored the place and just KNEW I had to try it from all of the hype that it was given over the years I knew about it. I couldn't even call it average.

The guy that took our order was wierd. I took interested in the little jug of lemonade and he got all excited and made it clear that the best thing about the lemonade is that it has a screw cap on top so that you can carry it out if you need to. I'm like great...that justifies the $5 price tag, surely. Good grief. Highway robbery!

I've always been a fan of ZA'S...good price for a quick italian fix. I just went to Sudaka a few weeks ago with my friends, pretty good sushi. Ann Arbor in the fall is great, main street is bustling and theres a good crowd mixture. I went to Rush Street and there were 21 year olds of all races as well as older adults all just chilling. The only thing it was like 12 dollars for a drink haha. I haven't been to Charley's but that place looks pretty cool. It sucks that Oz got closed down, that was a really nice club/lounge. I did not not know how crazy the UM football culture was but it was 1 am and there were still people chanting Hart-attack and walking in groups happy over the win against penn state. It'll be great when the wolverines come to Spartan country, and even better if MSU wins!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in a different forum or not but here in ypsi we will be voting on a city wide income tax tomorrow. There is quite a debate on why the tax is needed. Many say it is because of the water street project. Has anyone heard of this. The city has about 40+ acres availible for brown field redevelopment. Many say the taxes on this property is killing the cities budget and thats why they want the tax. There have been many ideas for the project. One being a mixed use PUD with housing along the river and business on Michigan Ave. Another was the possibility of Ypsi getting a minor league baseball team and would create a weekend tourist/sports area with shops and all that good stuff much like Comerica Park. This doesn't seem to be gaining speed either however. The latest I've heard was possibly a frisbee golf park. I was wondering what anyone here would think would be an appropriate development here?

If you are not familiar with the Water Street area it was be the ran down blighted area East of the Huron River on Michigan Ave and then I believe most of it reaches all the way over to Grove St. I have been on the property to look at it but it didn't give me the safest feeling in the world.

Let's here your thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad news.

I went to get dinner at Za's Italian Restaurant today, but found it had closed due to a fire. A guess there is damage throughout the building. No word when the place will reopen exactly. This establishment is in the building next door to the recently demolished Melrose-Ambrose place apartments.

Sad news.

I went to get dinner at Za's Italian Restaurant today, but found it had closed due to a fire. A guess there is damage throughout the building. No word when the place will reopen exactly. This establishment is in the building next door to the recently demolished Melrose-Ambrose place apartments.

• 1 month later...

Mos Def Performs Sold out Show at Hill Auditorium, Receives Visiting Professor Award

I went to this great concert last week as part of a day long event honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Much of the concert was also dedicated to J. Dilla, a notable hip hop producer and mc from Detroit who passed in 2006 from lupus diease

At the end of the performance, Mos Def was presented with a plaque by Senior Vice Provost of Academic Affairs, honoring him as a University of Michigan visiting professor.

"That's Professor Def to You!"

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...ION03/801220378

• 1 month later...

The plaza in front of the grad library looks like tanks rolled over it. Bricks missing everywhere. The granite where the M is all heaved up and broken. Actually the bronze M is sitting uneven in the cavity and makes a loud sound when you step on it.

There was some tunnel work going on nearby. I wonder if they will repair the plaza also? I actually find it to be an embarrassment, especially with campus day groups passing through.

"And right here, you see the giant M, in an over sized pothole. Michigan has lots of potholes, get used to them!"

I know ice is a big issue, but it might also help if they reduce the weight limit for large vehicles parking during events or for area maintenance on the plaza.

I dont see what the goal of this series is; its something that states the obvious at most universities. Athletes will take the easiest path of resitance when it comes to their education. I know thats a large generalization, but I dont think this is really new "news" to anyone.

Having read a little more recently, it appears many of the athletes were steered toward a single class; an independent study with this one psych professor, I don't remember his name off the top of my head. The obvious concern there is favoritism and leaniency above and beyond what you might find in a General Studies Class largely populated by athletes.

Hey, I haven't been around here regularly since last summer. Can someone give me some updates/status on these projects?

1. The Gallery Luxury Flats: This is/was a proposal for the 400 north block of Main Street that was to include a 12-story residential tower.

2. Kingsley Lane Lofts: Kingsley & Ashley, 9-story residential tower

3. Metro 202: 200 south block of Division, 9-story residential tower

4. Glen Ann Place: last I heard of this was in July when it was finally approved.

5. Tierra on Ashley: 200 South Ashley, 8-story residential tower

From what I've heard/read. Some may be just rumors.

1. The church that occupied this site is currently half demolished. It has been in this state for quite some time. So this project is likely on hold.

2. The site was reverted back to a grass lot. It might be canceled

3. This project is under construction, but it was never approved. (?) See recent article.

4. The site has been cleared, and disputes involving the two houses on that site have been resolved. They have yet to be moved. A bad housing market has placed this project on hold.

5. Haven't heard anything.

Edited by wolverine

• 3 months later...

Thanks. Are both of the sections of the building under construction?

BTW, I was able to find after doing some research that Metro 202 went from an apartment building by McKinley, to a hotel by First Hospitality Group which was shot down by the city, and back to an apartment building but this time with 88 units intead of 44 with First Hospitality still in ownership of the land. It must have been pretty recently, the change, because the article was dated just June 22.

Speaking of McKinley, I don't think they are ever going to build Kingsley Lane Lofts, yet the developer still has a website for it, and the architects still have a profile page for the building on their site.

^ The construction site was taken down for Kingsley and restored to a grass lot unfortunately.

It looks like they are beginning to pour foundation for the SW building on North Quad. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Edited by wolverine