Michigan pulling itself out of slump

Phizzy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ann Arbor, has never really been affected by Michigan ups and downs, It's kind of in its own bubble. It good news to see that Grand Rapids, Ressurgance, and the fact that the residents have been fighting the economic downturns, is finally starting to get noticed.

as far as the demographics, I think I heard that MI is actually loosing white population and maybe even black, the boom is from Hispanics, asians and foriegners.

The problem is too many young college grads leave MI thats how many of the whites are leaving and there are a lot of blacks relocating down south.

Minorities used to be confined to the cities as with most of the midwest but now subburbs are becoming a lot more diverse

Most Michigan central cities are, even the article makes the point that Grand Rapids proper is, as well. The only thing currently "saving" Michigan is its sprawl.

That is true, the burbs are growing, but ask yourself why? Why do people choose to live in suburbia, maybe instead of beotching about how much sprawl sucks, we should focus on making our cities more competitive, so that the trend here reverses and people want to move back to the cities. It's a free market thing, and right now the burbs, have a more enticing product.

as far as the demographics, I think I heard that MI is actually loosing white population and maybe even black, the boom is from Hispanics, asians and foriegners.

The problem is too many young college grads leave MI thats how many of the whites are leaving and there are a lot of blacks relocating down south.

Minorities used to be confined to the cities as with most of the midwest but now subburbs are becoming a lot more diverse

The "Brain drain" from Michigan has slowed Dramatically in recent years. The focus in new industries, and the resurgance of the western side of the state you can thank for that. Michigan hasn't lost it's white pop. It's growth has been positive. However it's pretty flat. Still not negative, With the majority of people moving here being foriegn in desent.

Most Michigan central cities are, even the article makes the point that Grand Rapids proper is, as well. The only thing currently "saving" Michigan is its sprawl.

That's pretty much true in any State in the country. The cities with explosive growth right now are all adding growth in their burbs. Atlanta is gobbling up land around it at a feverish pace. Same with the cities in the Desert Southwest.

Granted, Michigan has become particularly good at sprawling out.

Didn't phizzy's census figures show GH, and HOlland were loosing population?
Yes, the cities of Grand Haven and Holland did lose population from 2000 thru 2004. However, the surrounding townships had big gains.

Holland, and surrounding townships, for example:

wipkw6.gif

That's pretty much true in any State in the country. The cities with explosive growth right now are all adding growth in their burbs. Atlanta is gobbling up land around it at a feverish pace. Same with the cities in the Desert Southwest.

Granted, Michigan has become particularly good at sprawling out.

Just a technicallity, but Atlanta proper is pretty much done annexing land. I'm not even sure if they can anymore, and the city proper has posted relatively slow growth. Suburban Atlanta is what's growing and sprawled to hell. What is scary about Atlanta is that the city proper is about the size of Detroit's city proper...but with just a little bit more than half the population of even a declining Detroit. That is some scary sprawl to consider. lol

I think what the article is refering to is the fact that the state is growing Lmich, we all know that Almost every big city in Michigan is losing population, but the respective regions are getting healthier. The same is true of Lansing, the same of GR.

I think it's great that we are getting recognition for the turnarounds starting to take place. It's what's good for goose and gander. If the region is healthy, and getting healthier, the same is true for GR. I think the city is doing well, and It's getting better, you can see it everywhere. And Sprawl, which seems like your cryptonite, is somewhat unavoidable. Unless you think that we should more tightly regulate everything, what people do where people live. You can't convince everyone that living in a 32 story high rise is great. Some people live in suburbia because they like it. The same reason some people like city life. It's a choice, and sprawl happens with growth, even if it's planned.

• 1 month later...

"The east side has dominance by the automotive industry and the UAW (United Auto Workers). In the west part, we don't have a predominance of unions. That allows us to be flexible and innovative."

Ouch! :lol:

Archived