Took a couple of shots this week end.

beerbeer

Very early on a rainy morning. First, I took this shot of the progress at the Sage Allen building. To me it looks like they are cutting corners on construction and using less attractive materials on the project. Regardless, this will be a major addition to Main Street especially when school is in session and t is filled with college kids.

134814765_f8e332e655.jpg

Below is Trumbull on the Park. I shot from the Starbucks across the street which was doing a good business.

134814764_026ad92d77.jpg

This Blue Building is a great looking building in the middle of the city. It's too short to show up on many skyline shots. But it is a nice buuildig in its own right.

134814767_7dafcde880.jpg

As I said, it was a raw, cold, cloudy, morning so the light was pretty blah.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shot of Trumbull on the Park is spectacular. I love how you framed it with that blooming tree in the foreground.

Sage Allen is a little dissapointing, but this is no surprise.

The "blue building" is 100 Pearl Street. It's always been on of my favorite buildings downtown, despite its lack of substanstial height. I believe it is around 280ft tall. I know a prominent Hartford lawyer who has his offices in 100 Pearl (Brown, Paindiris & Scott) - the building looks like it is always full.

Emporis list 100 Pearl as 236 feet tall. At 16 floors it isn't tall enough to break the skyline as it sits in the middle of the city. I have always thought it is one of the best looking buildings in Hartford.

Interesting. Yeah it looks like 236' is accurate. I should have known that 16 stories =/ 280 ft. Standing at the entrance to the building it appears taller. No wonder why it's almost never seen in any skyline shots.

WOW! I'd never seen the before. It's hard to complain about what they've done seeing the horror that previous generations inflicted on the poor building. I'm assuming the center will get a full historic renovation and the new buildings flanking will have varying degree of detail.

Well, here comes the complaint. The rendering of what they were supposed to do with the building was awesome, what it's coming out like is very.... average. Is it better than the original? Of course. Can it be a lot better than it probably will be, absolutely. They half-assed this, plain and simple.

Very early on a rainy morning. First, I took this shot of the progress at the Sage Allen building. To me it looks like they are cutting corners on construction and using less attractive materials on the project. Regardless, this will be a major addition to Main Street especially when school is in session and t is filled with college kids.

134814765_f8e332e655.jpg

Below is Trumbull on the Park. I shot from the Starbucks across the street which was doing a good business.

134814764_026ad92d77.jpg

This Blue Building is a great looking building in the middle of the city. It's too short to show up on many skyline shots. But it is a nice buuildig in its own right.

134814767_7dafcde880.jpg

As I said, it was a raw, cold, cloudy, morning so the light was pretty blah.

Those are really nice shots. The blue building is one of my favorite Hartford skyscrapers.

Well, here comes the complaint. The rendering of what they were supposed to do with the building was awesome, what it's coming out like is very.... average. Is it better than the original? Of course. Can it be a lot better than it probably will be, absolutely. They half-assed this, plain and simple.

Bingo.

The original renderings complimented the Richardson Building so well. What we have now looks like a cheap dormitory. I am very disappointed in the way this turned out. The windows are much smaller, the wrought iron is gone, the cornices are gone and the balconies are gone.

That being said, as Cotuit said - it is a huge improvement over what was there. Its better than nothing. What Sage-Allen did to the architecturally significant facade of their flagship store was criminal and was a wrong that took too long to right.

I only hope they don't cut corners on the facade erstoration.

Archived