Bojangles says BBQ is Eastern Style

monsoon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back when I first moved here and still ate meat, I had Eastern BBQ for the first time (that's the yellowish-colored stuff, right?)... Anyway, I remember liking it a whole lot better than the maroon-colored stuff. It was so alien to me as a Northeastern transplant. That, and using 'barbecue' as a noun instead of a verb. That still doesn't sit right to these ears..

here to be quick, yea i know I like bbq too much. this is my own summary of bbq eastern and western

Eastern BBQ

1. made from the whole pig

2. vinegar based. (vinegar and a couple of peppers)

3. known basically as NC style bbq, because there is already a western, its called eastern no place where its actually documented to be from, when you see something called carolina style bbq (i've seen it in texas, and NYC) its eastern bbq.

4. harder to cook because the slightest bit of vinegar is used, so its more how the pig is prepared vs. the agent used to hide the flavor. when pig is not cooked right you can't hide it at all and it becomes vitually inedible even to the hungriest person

5. more fatty because it uses all parts of the pig including the more fatty portions.

Western

1. made only from the shoulder

2. from lexington, NC

3. tomato based (ketchup and vinegar)

4. less fatty because from very muscular shoulder

5. easier to use because you practically dunk it in the sauce, hiding imperfections in the preperation of the meat, pork is easy as hell to mess up especially when making bbq, you basically cook it forever, and if you cook it too much more than forever then it gets tough and inedible, if something is tough and inedible all you have to do is wetten it when is easier with western because so much sauce is used

other NC styles

Lemon and Tobasco sauce

SC&GA

mustard based

any other questions?

Actually from what I have seen, western style BBQ is not cooked with any sauce and they use both the pork shoulder and/or pork butt. Once the meat is cooked over hickory coals, it is either sliced or chopped and the sauce is added after the fact. Sauces tend to have vinegar in them and range from mild to spicy hot.

It is the western style that is most common in the Charlotte area.

In SC, they cook the BBQ with the sause and contrary to common belief there really isn't any rhyme or reason to what makes up the sauces as every place's sauce is secret.

All BBQ sauces have vinegar in them or they are not good and I have seen combinations that include both tomato and mustard in the same sauce.

I grew up in Texas very close to the Lousyana border and know what cajun is and just adding pepper to something (bojangles) does not make it cajun.

And after living here for 4 years, I still can't stomach the pork BBQ here.

Perhaps that's because as a Texan, you don't really know Barbeque. Y'all seem to think beef briskett is BBQ. Sadly, y'all are wrong. :P

Archived