1. 1. Where do you live?

• In the city
    • In the metro, but not in the central city
    • Outside the metro
    • Cow Country

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I lived in the city, but unfortunately I don't. I live about 10 miles from the Flint city limits, and about 53 miles from the Detroit city limits, in the middle of a sprawling suburb :(.

I live here. The pic is a couple years old though. There's not more open land left, except for the space at the bottom left...that property has wetlands & is adjacent to I-75, so no developers have developed it yet.

housepic.jpg

My boyfriend said something last night about buying a place in the suburbs someday. I nearly leaped across the table to throttle him. I made it quite clear we would be buying a place within the Providence city limits. We currently live on Federal Hill, about a 10 minute walk from Downcity.

My boyfriend said something last night about buying a place in the suburbs someday. I nearly leaped across the table to throttle him. I made it quite clear we would be buying a place within the Providence city limits. We currently live on Federal Hill, about a 10 minute walk from Downcity.

LOL. I don't blame you. I hate living in the suburbs. The only good thing about the suburbs is that the schools are generally better than the inner city schools. Other than that, that's about the only positive thing I can think of. Unless you like having to drive everywhere because there are no sidewalks and the stores you frequent and your job are several miles away...And if you like the look of surface parking lots, tacky strip malls, and the horrendous traffic that comes with typical suburban development...and if you want to live in a cookie cutter box of crap, instead of a real home. I could go on and on about my hatred of suburbs, but I'm going to stop now, since I could go on forever.

Guest donaltopablo

Hate to admit it, but I'm in the burbs. Just can't find even remotely affordable homes with 2 car garages in the city. And frankly, I only bought my house for the garage. Having a bedroom and all is just a nice extra.

I forget how 'big' cities can be in other parts of the country. At 18.2 square miles, Providence doesn't have very many suburban style neighbourhoods. Though there are a few areas on the edge of the city that are a little suburban-ish with detached homes and such. Though even these areas are quite walkable.

I live in a nice safe suburb because that is where my job is though I was born and raised in Boston (Dorchester). I certainly don't miss having to look over my shoulder coming out of the supermarket. Though at some point I hope to purchase a place in town to stay there part of the time because suburbia is so bland.

btw- I was in West Roxbury in Boston the other day and was amazed at how suburban it is.

I live so close to Manchester, that my next door neighbor has to pay two taxes cuz half their land is in Manchester aka Manchvegas aka the Queen city(The real Queen city ;) ). Infact you can put Manchester on you mail and send it and it will get to me. So technically I live in Hooksett, but it still counts as Manchester. Oh yeah and right across the street it is Manchester and on my side its Hooksett cuz it angles. Freaky isnt it.

Cow Country, but in the metro. :blink:

I do drive by real farms, cows and horses. There's a barn across the street from my house and both neighbors own horses. There's a stream in our front yard and the sounds of nature everywhere!

I'm outside the city of Asheville, in a very rural area of Henderson County. It's a half hour drive from my house to downtown Asheville. I don't live in the Arden town limits. I live outside Arden, but I'm in the 28704 zip code, which gives me an Arden address. Only recently did they extend cable TV to this area and that was thanks to Asheville's sprawl (new subdivisions and large country homes are going up just down the main road to my house). In a few years, the area will move up from rural Asheville to suburban Asheville. :P A developer is already in talks with our neighbor about buying his land for new homes. I'm on a gravel (dirt) road and you have to take two dirt roads to get to my house. If they build this new subdivision, they may pave the last two dirt roads I drive on to get to the highway. :D Right now I'm at college in Georgia and there's nothing like living inside a city. I plan to move into the city after college. I want to stay in the Asheville-Hendersonville area, where my family and friends live. Living in downtown Asheville is very expensive. If I can't move into a place downtown or around Town Mountain Road, I would like to move to West Asheville. Henderson County is very beautiful, but the city is calling me! ;)

I live in one of the densest part of the Miami Metro area- Miami Beach. I can walk to the stores, restaurants, nightclubs, bars, the beach, park, library, museum, convention center.

Sometimes it surprises me the amount of people in the area. It truly is a walking city.

Here is a picture

483186145619igggku_ph.jpg

When I'm back in the country, I stay with my parents in Norwood, a pretty urban suburb 10 miles southwest of Boston, along I95 and Rt 1. It is serviced by mutliple MBTA bus routes, as well as three Commuter Line stops. We used to live in Hyde Park. While technically within the municipal Boston borders, Hyde Park (along with West Roxbury) is more of an inner-ring, street car suburb: detached houses with yards packed into small quarter acre lots and Green Line stations.

In Tokyo, I live literally in the dead-center of the city, within walking distance of the Emperial Palace Grounds

I'm officially in the city, since the whole county is pretty much the city of Jacksonville. But my apartment complex is definately in the suburbs. I'm in the process of looking for land to buy to construct a 3 unit urban townhouse project in or within walking or skyway distance to downtown right now. I plan to live in one and sell the other two units to pay for my cost to build it.

Archived