Soleil Center I & II at Crabtree

durham_rtp

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell Allen needs to go-he isn't the right guy to manage a rapidly growing city. He would belong more in a Garner/Knightdale type post. The Council should really recruit a high level person with experience in larger metro areas experiencing similar growth. I do believe he will be gone in the next year or two.

I agree totally. It's sad that the city council even considered him for the job in the first place. what were they thinking? anyone who understands anything about urban policy relaizes that a city in the situation that Raleigh is in needs leadership that can help take the city to the next level, and they need experience in doing this. Somehow, i do think that the council is starting to get that message.

• 3 weeks later...

I was jogging behind the Soleil Center construction site this afternoon and say that work was actually being done. It appeared that they were removing the concrete foundation of the old hotel. It's a good thing to see work being done on this project. Yeah!!! :thumbsup:

I'm actively considering buying a condo at the Soleil Ctr (the least expensive one of course ;) ) and received this notice 2 weeks ago via email:

We are pleased to announce The Westin Raleigh Soleil Center Residences is now accepting reservations</H2>Our spectacular Sales Center is scheduled to open March 2007. We welcome you to visit and allow us to showcase the innovative architectural and interior designs created for our luxury condominium residences.

For further information, please contact our expert sales team,

Mica Stacy and John Floyd. We will be glad to schedule a private appointment to discuss The Westin Raleigh Soleil Center Residences and the luxury amenities that will be afforded exclusively to our residents.soleil-center-top.jpg

Visit website {sodEmoji.|} Contact Sales

919 719 3090

They have launched a redesigned website (I think today). Their new floor plans are very nice. The smallest unit is 2,000 SF with 3 bedrooms and the largest is over 6,000 SF. I can now fully understand why they are going for so much. It looks as if they are really starting to move with this project. :good:

They have launched a redesigned website (I think today). Their new floor plans are very nice. The smallest unit is 2,000 SF with 3 bedrooms and the largest is over 6,000 SF. I can now fully understand why they are going for so much. It looks as if they are really starting to move with this project. :good:

Just took a look at the new website. It's a bit more informative than the old one. What's interesting is where Midtown is depicted on the map (on the Location page). It shows Midtown covering an area extending from the Crabtree Valley area to the RBC Center area. That seems a bit off to me.

Soleil Center Website

The "location" map is bad, to say the least. "Midtown" arches the wrong way -- it seems to go from Crabtree Valley Mall, around the beltline clockwise to (depending on who you ask) Six Forks, Wake Forest or Capitol Blvd.

Other errors:

- Michael Dean's location is close on the map, but it is not at 510 Glenwood. That is the Red Room/Bogart's/Hi 5 cluster.

- North Hills is a little more than a PO Box.

- The convention center has not been at 500 Fayetville Street for a while now.

The sales center is still not listed on the website. The projected early February opening passed a while ago. The latest news posted to the site is now six months old.

The "location" map is bad, to say the least. "Midtown" arches the wrong way -- it seems to go from Crabtree Valley Mall, around the beltline clockwise to (depending on who you ask) Six Forks, Wake Forest or Capitol Blvd.

I disagree. The area on the map depicted as Midtown extends counterclockwise from Crabtree towards west Raleigh. Theoretically, Midtown should encompass both Crabtree and North Hills.

Does anyone else believe that this Midtown competition between the Soleil group and Kane will only intensify and to the benefit of Raleigh?

Sorry, I wrote that wrong...

The map shows midtown going from Glenwood to 40/Wade. I meant to say:

The map's "Midtown" arches the wrong way. Most descriptions of midtown start in the Crabtree Valley Mall area and stay outside the beltline clockwise to (depending on who you ask) Six Forks (North Hills), Wake Forest/Falls of Neuse, or Capitol Blvd (to include Highwoods).

Edit - midtown is only marketingspeak for now. North Hills is the closest to creating a sense of place, even though that sense of place will never extend to non-Kane owned property.

Looks like they were trying to get the fairgrounds, RBC Center, Art Museum and Carter Finley into midtown for marketing.......noticed they only showed the most expensive restaurants too....clearly this marketing scheme is aimed at the rich, and presumably out of state buyers who would be able to buy in Soleil....

WRAL has a story about Soleil I... will it ever be built? Developers need 25 of 49 condos to be sold at nearly $600/sf ea (not sure if that's avg or highest #)... developers say they will break ground within 90 days but no paperwork into city inspections for permits (and those issues can takes months to resolve)... developers say it will be built by 2009.

It's is a great design, but the condos are rediculously overpriced and it is in a terrible location. Only time will tell...

Well, keep watching to see whether or not permits get applied for. If this gets built, it will be interesting to see if the units appreciate or hold their value over time. From the website, my sense is that the cachet of this place is completely driven by the concierge based lifestyle and the fouffy fittings of the units and the public areas, and to a lesser degree, by the design of the building.

All of these cachet-drivers have no location-specific qualities, and the former two are very easily duplicated downtown, the latter, not as easily, but still not impossible. When you look out the windows at Soleil and look down, there's no city hustle-bustle, just a mall and a prototypical American auto sewer landscape.

Then again, Mr. Walia has come here and said he has reservations and a waiting list. So there may easily be more than enough people who want luxury skyscraper living without urbanity. I wonder whether or not those folks will remain satisfied with that lifestyle over time, but as long as there is a small group that likes it, that may be enough to fill the building.

WRAL has a story about Soleil I... will it ever be built? Developers need 25 of 49 condos to be sold at nearly $600/sf ea (not sure if that's avg or highest #)... developers say they will break ground within 90 days but no paperwork into city inspections for permits (and those issues can takes months to resolve)... developers say it will be built by 2009.

It's is a great design, but the condos are rediculously overpriced and it is in a terrible location. Only time will tell...

We really didn't learn much, the Mayor says " I don't know", the Planning Director says "be patient" and the Developer says "we are doing fine". They didn't report anything new and to top it off they did the live shot with downtown Raleigh as the backdrop when the main topic was Crabtree Valley.

Keep watching the building permits site, as soon as they submit for permit it usually hits the website that same day.

Well, keep watching to see whether or not permits get applied for. If this gets built, it will be interesting to see if the units appreciate or hold their value over time. From the website, my sense is that the cachet of this place is completely driven by the concierge based lifestyle and the fouffy fittings of the units and the public areas, and to a lesser degree, by the design of the building.

All of these cachet-drivers have no location-specific qualities, and the former two are very easily duplicated downtown, the latter, not as easily, but still not impossible. When you look out the windows at Soleil and look down, there's no city hustle-bustle, just a mall and a prototypical American auto sewer landscape.

Then again, Mr. Walia has come here and said he has reservations and a waiting list. So there may easily be more than enough people who want luxury skyscraper living without urbanity. I wonder whether or not those folks will remain satisfied with that lifestyle over time, but as long as there is a small group that likes it, that may be enough to fill the building.

Its interesting that the suburban mentality would want to live high up in a glass tower....I guess is it is not too different from Highwoods office park, in that it is clearly suburban in all aspects other than the buildings themselves (referring to the taller Highwoods buildings, I know the short ones don't even qualify as dense)....this happens to cut against all my personal preferences, I would not want to live in a suburban landscape or 40 stories up...much prefer the third floor of a 100 year old building amidst an urban landscape.....

These are Uptown.

I'm sorry, but no. That guy's full of it. The N.C. State area should never be called something like "Uptown." It just doesn't fit.

What's wrong with "West Raleigh?"

Anyway, to get back on topic, "Midtown," in mind my clearly includes the area along I-440 from Glenwood to Capital. To extend that area to Wade is a bit of a stretch, I think.

Archived