Soleil Center I & II at Crabtree

durham_rtp

One of my inside sources, that is closely related to the project, says that Soleil is actually in the process of trying to sell this project to another developer. She's quite a reliable source so far as development in that particular area. She also said that even though we're this close to the construction stage. that she doubts this project will take physical shape. This is the same person who told me about the Kids Hill development a year before it was publicly shown to fall through. However have some hope, because this is still just speculation...

The project could potentially get transferred to a new developer, but to say that this project will not get built at this point is ludicrous. They have gone thru the process of announcing the groundbreaking to the world, and they've also gone thru the process of publicly switching real esate agents.

I think that your source needs to do some more research.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO MORE SOURCES. THE MAN IN CHARGE IS HERE ANSWERING OUR QUESTIONS. STOP TALKING TO THE HORSES a$$ AND TALK TO THE HEAD. GOSH <_<

Yeah, the representative/developer wouldn't have any incentive to paint anything less than the rosiest of pictures as far as the project goes, would he? :rolleyes:

They have their foundation permit and have started foundation work. That is a huge exspense to go through and then drop the project, especially with the expensive foundation this building has. I know of only one other project in the area that has gone this far and not gotten built, the second phase of the Capital Center. There they put in the foundation for the building and then stopped. I'm not saying that it won't happen here, but it is highly unlikely.

There is no date set for a groundbreaking yet... They announced that they are "close" to a groundbreaking.

Work is underway to build it up, and as Mr. Walia said, the equipment for the anchors should be en route by now.

With the "curtain wall system" and amount of glass shown in renderings, I don't think there will be much concrete (other than the floors) above the parking deck piece of the structure.

45th page of this thread, eh?

I take any naysaying in this thread with a grain of salt since there is so much emotion behind the project. One straightforward question, however, is how long is Westin willing to sit around and wait for this property to come online? They have no presence in this market, and a little hotel out in RTP will do nothing to satisfy Raleigh's overwhelming demand for nice hotels.

Is there a project sign yet? I imagine that in order to even get piles of dirt and gravel to the site a GC must have been selected, probably meaning the project has in fact 'begun'. Once that contract is signed with bonds in place its not in anyones interest to turn back as stated earlier in the thread.

As I said above, they have their foundation permit. And they now have submitted for their building permit: http://onlinedevcenter.raleighnc.gov/devse...onNumber=194452.

According to the owners, they were to start foundation work this past Monday. I have not gone by the site to see if they have. I do know that they have completed their preliminary grading. I think this project is moving forward.

They was a press release on July 17th 2007 announcing construction started.

However, there was also a press release on February 23rd, 2005, months before city council's approval for the 43 story structure, announcing "The Westin Raleigh, Crabtree, Raleigh, NC (opening 1st quarter 2006, 222 rooms)"

Starwood/Westin has been quite patient with this project, especially with Raleigh's increased population and prominance. Instead of being open a year and a half, they are now at least a year and a half from operating. With delays due to engineering, refinancing, and everything else, they are putting up with a lot to be in that location.

Starwood likes the Triangle, as evidenced by the two Alofts and the RTP Westin. Though it is kind of ironic that the hotel that was removed to make room for this project was branded as a Four Points by Sheraton, another Starwood concern.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update on Soleil Center.

The general contractor and the listing agent are now gone... sounds like Soleil is in spin mode, but we'll see...

The developer has since hired New York-based Hunter Roberts Construction Group to take on building. Financing is in hand, and at least 40 percent of the 54 planned condominiums are presold, Soleil partner Sanjay Mundra says. He thinks at least half of them will be under contract by Christmas.

And a generous calendar -- Soleil has long said it would be finished in late 2009 -- is giving the developer the calm and confidence of a ringmaster.

^

I'm not a construction management expert, but isn't hiring an out of state construction company to come in and take over a project that is already underway a recipe for a fiasco? Has this company ever worked in this area? I remember the NC State library expansion in the late 80s, when some company that had never done a project in NC got the bid. The project ended up being finished more than a year behind schedule...

I wonder how much of this article is acturate. It seems to me that this is just another story to add negative views for this project. I live near this site and there is a crawler crane out there I'm guessing working the ground. They still can't understand that 43 stories doesn't mean automatically the tallest for Raleigh, but thats a losing issue it seems. You think be a professional writer you could do just a little research to get your facts strainght. In other professions when you get facts wrong people can die, but I guess thats apples and oranges here...

"Late 2009" is a *new* finishing date, not a long held one. On the Soleil Center website, under "news" in the story dated May 8, 2006 (also available on the N&O's website):

The 12-story hotel was imploded Sunday to make way for the Soleil Center, a $120 million tower that will be the tallest building in Eastern North Carolina when it is finished in the next two years. It will feature a hotel and pricey condominiums.

That would put the opening date around June 2008, not late 09. The 2006 story was contributed to by... wait for it.. Jack Hagle, who wrote the latest story and "generous calendar" line. Does the left hand not know what the right hand is writing?

I thought the ad campaign ended because they had sold most of the units, but they are still hoping for 50% by the end of the year.

Real estate agents have wondered: Who wants a condo with a view of the mall?

I've really tried my hardest to remain as positive as I can regarding this project, but it just really seems so far fetched to me that I really question what will happen. I also live very close to this site, I would estimate about 3 miles from it, just off Glen Eden Rd. I understand the real estate market quite well where I live because it is a very prime area. But the spot for this tower and its condos and the outrageous prices still baffle me. I'm no real estate expert (but I hope to be soon) but I just really cannot imagine paying over a million dollars to live in a high rise condo with no better view than the top of Crabtree Valley Mall.

If you really stop and look around where the building will sit and imagine yourself on the 43rd floor, your view will for lack of better terms be crap because the building sits in an absolute hole. The back of the buildings may look over the top of the trees, but will only have view of an the Camden Apt. complex on Edwards Mill and the front of the building will likely not see anything higher than the top of the Embassy Suites across Glenwood Ave. Looking towards downtown, you'll catch glimpses of the beltline and some office buildings and the top of the mall, which is quite unattractive (look at google earth and tell me if you don't agree) and your view to the north west will likely be really nothing more than trees and maybe the hill coming down Glenwood in the winter when there aren't leaves on the trees.

This project would have a completely different feel to it if it sat, lets say on the lot at Kidds Hill where the old Food Lion and Brendal's was. At least in this location it would sit on land high enough that condos would have at least a view of something in the town. I honestly believe that the whole condo part of this building should just be scrapped and let it just become a Westin Hotel by itself. There have just seemed to be too many things in limbo with this project from the start and it seems to just continue, meanwhile the RBC Plaza downtown is what like 10 or 12 floors from completion of the main skeletal frame?

I really don't want to sound like a "negative nancy" and I've tried to give this place a chance, but the more I think about it every time I drive past the site, the more it seems like an absolute waste and a lost cause.

I wonder how much of this article is acturate. It seems to me that this is just another story to add negative views for this project. I live near this site and there is a crawler crane out there I'm guessing working the ground. They still can't understand that 43 stories doesn't mean automatically the tallest for Raleigh, but thats a losing issue it seems. You think be a professional writer you could do just a little research to get your facts strainght. In other professions when you get facts wrong people can die, but I guess thats apples and oranges here...
Wow! the the worldwide web is truly great, the common man can now get real uncut news from the source before the so called real media gets it. And, I can now see why the N&O has lost it's luster, for those of you who feel like this is new news, shoot me a message with your e-mail and I can prove that this project is truly underway and that this is old news, This article is poorly written and yes RDUairport your right because I have the photo's of the site sent to me by Mr Walia himself.

Archived