Soleil Center I & II at Crabtree

durham_rtp

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although there is uncertainity on this board, not sure there is that much uncertanity in the marketplace. And I am sure the Weston Brand is seeing more issues in other cities than here. JMHO

The only certainty about this project is the delays that it has experienced! Westin has patiently waited for some time now to enter the Raleigh market.

It would be nice if Mr Walia could lend some (inside) information on estimated completion. IMHO

The only certainty about this project is the delays that it has experienced! Westin has patiently waited for some time now to enter the Raleigh market.

It would be nice if Mr Walia could lend some (inside) information on estimated completion. IMHO

Yes indeed. What is the status of this VERY important project?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a news report on the RBC center on News 14 in which they reported the RBC would be the tallest building in Raleigh but not for long. The reporter said the Soleil Center would be the tallest when it is completed next summer. I don't know how accurate that statement is but doesn't any here know if this project has been on track for that timeline for a while or is this something new?

I wonder if they know about Tatton Hall being torn down and replaced by a Wal-Mart...

You just scared the crap out of me. I live right down the road from Tatton on Fairview at Five Points. I pass by Tatton every day and was about to get really pissed off, lol. Then I saw the date of your post, well played, well played.

It is sad that the "three Four Points rooms" to "two Westin rooms" conversion would have made it the first three or four star hotel in Raleigh. Now it will be fourth, behind the Umstead, the North Hills Rennisance, and the downtown Marriott (assuming the convention center hotel doesn't follow the Crabtree Marriott's trajectory). Heck, even the RTP Westin, which started years later, will probably open first.

I still don't know how they got Westin on board for the conversion and *then* discovered the old hotel's bones were not worth rennovating. If the Soleil Group was half as good at execution as they were with PR/marketing, the steel would be visible from 440 (if not Creedmoor/Millbrook if sight lines allowed) by now.

The recent delay to the nearby Galleria, and slow/non movement on Kidd's Hill, does not make the greater Crabtree area seem as "hot" as it thinks it is. There is a demonstrated need in the area for high "stuff" in the area -- hotel, restaurants, shopping -- though luxe-lite (Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Chang's, Lord & Taylor, Best Buy's Magnolia Home Theater section, the piano store) has been Crabrtree's bread and butter for the last 10 years or so.

It will be intersting when the Westin Soleil Center story mentions how the "late 2009/early 2010" opening timeframe for Glen-Tree was their plan all along.

webguy, I'd guess the crabtree area can only ever get so "hot" with the current state of transit/transportation in and around there....its basically maxed out. Look what traffic did to retail on Capital Blvd....nothing can survive there other than used car dealerships and gas stations (I know demographics play heavily too though). Yet another reason for business of all types to choose downtown...better infrastructure already in place and planned.

webguy, I'd guess the crabtree area can only ever get so "hot" with the current state of transit/transportation in and around there....its basically maxed out. Look what traffic did to retail on Capital Blvd....nothing can survive there other than used car dealerships and gas stations (I know demographics play heavily too though). Yet another reason for business of all types to choose downtown...better infrastructure already in place and planned.

I can see downtown Capital being a problem, but north of the beltline Capital seems to be doing ok, especially when you hit New Hope Church, northwards. On a side note, Rite Aid is joining the drug store foray up there and building one at the New Hope/Capital intersection. I am really hoping the city doesn't blow it with Devereaux Meadows and we get some big there that will revitalize that end of Capital.

I can see downtown Capital being a problem, but north of the beltline Capital seems to be doing ok, especially when you hit New Hope Church, northwards. On a side note, Rite Aid is joining the drug store foray up there and building one at the New Hope/Capital intersection. I am really hoping the city doesn't blow it with Devereaux Meadows and we get some big there that will revitalize that end of Capital.

The change from what was north of 440 20 years ago is very disheartening at least from 440 to mini-city, and mini city has its problems. Closures I can remember....HQ, Service Merchandise, Winn Dixie (before they all closed anyway), Marshalls, Phar-Mor, Roses (before they all closed anyway), the department store before it was Dicks, Dicks moved to TTC. Brentwood shopping center gave up on an anchor and subdivided the space.....your're right though there is alot of stuff even if its not high-end, and there's certainly a place for that in the city...24 used car dealers(I counted one night) gives you plenty of options....maybe its more demographics than traffic.....with Crabtree though, I know I plan my way around it via Duraleigh, Glen Eden or North Hills Drive depending on where I am going out that way...I live pretty much due south of five points...still though...how many more developments....even if they are "lifestyle centers" can poor Glenwood handle? Maybe Soleil residents don't want it to be so "hot" there that they have to share their exclusive space with too many people so little or no road improvements or transit is fine with them...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Soleil is reporting deep foundation work 100% complete.

http://ulanguzi.bm23.com/public/?q=preview...i8vikl7qqbvxaz4

This is an interesting quote pulled from the article:

"In excess of 800 truckloads of concrete, 900,000 lbs. of reinforced steel and caissons ranging from three to eight feet in diameter were drilled to hard rock at depths of up to 75 ft. from existing grade. This has resulted in a total of 5,900 linear feet of structural drilling to support what is soon to be the tallest residential building in the Carolinas!"

It sounds like they've been busy.

... soon to be the tallest residential building in the Carolinas!"

The Soleil Center is not just a residential building. It will have retail/rest. and hotel, (mixed use?). The RBC building will be taller...and I believe that there will be other buildings in Charlotte that have or will have residentail/condo's that will be taller? I think... :dontknow:

tallest residential building in the Carolinas

Well at least they modified what they were saying about being tallest building in Raleigh. Every time I hear this "Soleil will be the tallest" crap it makes me cringe. Now they are being clever by just saying residential.

RBC is definitely taller, unless at the last minute Soleil jacks up this hidden spire or something with a giant lit sun at the end of it.

"what is soon to be the tallest residential building in the Carolinas!"

Well that doesn't sound very correct speaking that Ground has broken on both Wachovia's 46 story condo tower(quoted from charlotte magazine) and the 53 Story Vue (site plans are now calling it 53), which threw up a tower crane today. Lets not forget that the 53 story 210 trade has recently cleared up its issues that were keeping it from going anywhere and work will soon restart on a building that is already 7 or so stories off the ground.

It will definately be the tallest residential building in Raleigh, but it would have to have pretty massive floorheights to be taller than Vue or 210trade. On a side note, It will definately be the tallest suburban tower in the carolinas though, if not the southeast (outside houston).

Archived