What do you like and dislike about the Triad?

jasoniman24

I got the idea for this topic from a thread in the Charlotte forum. What do you love about living in the Triad? What are the things that drive you crazy?, or just think could use a little improvement. Don't want it to turn into "My town is better than your town", just want to know your compliments and concerns about your city and/or area as a whole.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest "dislike" about the Triad is the lack of a "singles" scene. Everyone seems to be "coupled", "partnered", or "married." It makes it tough on us single folks. It also tends to make most of the activites cater to these groups.

My biggest like about the Triad is there is a quite a diversity of things to do, from art galleries to wineries, history to music scenes, it seems every town tries to contribute something to the pot. :)

My biggest "dislike" about the Triad is the lack of a "singles" scene. Everyone seems to be "coupled", "partnered", or "married." It makes it tough on us single folks. It also tends to make most of the activites cater to these groups.

My biggest like about the Triad is there is a quite a diversity of things to do, from art galleries to wineries, history to music scenes, it seems every town tries to contribute something to the pot. :)

I agree with youn on the singles scene. Plus, many of the single women I meet have children.

Don't worry jersey I had no problem navigating the single scene when I was attending NCA&T :shades: . Although the clubs where spread out the overall nightlight was full of promise!! Anyway I dislike the highway/freeway numbering around the region. There has to be a better way. Come NCDOT stop being so backwards and figure things out. What I like is the multitude of things to do. They may not be concentrated in a single district but the region fullfilled my needs. Also the Triad is the underdog and I can't wait until people realize the true potential of this metro.

I'm sure there are many things that I dislike and like about the Triad that I could list... but I'm lethargic. In all honesty, though, the Triad has really grown on me since I started freshman year in 2003 @ UNCG. Personally, I would like to "beautify" areas (but all towns have decript areas) and I would like to implode Wendover Avenue where all the big boxes are :) because that's the most horrible mess ever.

I Would like to see a more agressive attitude and action towards change and growth in the Triad. The Triad cities dont like to take the bold risks that Charlotte and other areas take and always uses Charlotte as a barometer. The mentality is wait til Charlotte does it then we'll do it. The Triad needs to become more of a leader and not a follower.

I like the fact that Greensboro and Winston are bringing their downtowns to life. With all the new condos going up maybe more people living downtown will help bring more business downtown. That is especially a plus for people that also work downtown because of the rising gas prices. However, I hate seeing acres of woodlands and rolling fields bulldozed to make way for McMansion subdivisions. With the rising fuel costs, you would thing some people would want to cut their driving distance, not extend it. Poorly managed growth is one of my greatest pet peeves of the Triad (although it is not the only metro with this problem). Also I would like to see the Triad cities work together instead of competing with one another.

I Would like to see a more agressive attitude and action towards change and growth in the Triad. The Triad cities dont like to take the bold risks that Charlotte and other areas take and always uses Charlotte as a barometer. The mentality is wait til Charlotte does it then we'll do it. The Triad needs to become more of a leader and not a follower.

I agree

Well Charlotte is not a bad barometer,i think every city or Metro area has their time in the sun,I think you guys forget that your area the Triad was number one for so long in this state, you guys are the reason why Charlotte and Triangle became hungry for growth believe it or not,i think you guys are making a pretty good comeback and you will have your time in the sun again you guys have too many assets not to make a comeback great colleges ,art you have the best highways in the state and a blue collar flava that can't be duplicated! :thumbsup:

Highway transportation links that are state maintained roads are excellent and continually improving

Most retail and restaurants are easily accessible

It has an urban feel but can quickly get away from it without too much sprawl to drive through

UNC-G and Wake Forest

Positive development such as Dell and FedEx moving in

Dislikes:

Former anchor job markets such as tobbacco & furniture are disapearing fast

Growing too fast

Prone to ice storms in the winter time (this year was lucky)

Crime

Stupid green interstate shields :P

I have to agree with the "green" highway designations too. I don't see why they don't just call the entire loop around G-boro I-840, and leave I-40 as a "blue" interstate. I really like the look and the feel of the older neighborhoods such as Ardmore, West End in Winston, and Irving Park, Kirkwood, and the area around UNCG in Greensboro.

• 1 month later...

I've been in W-S about 6 months now:

Like: Smaller than Charlotte, but not too small

Like: only takes me 10 minutes to get to work

Like: School choices within zones instead of A school you HAVE to go to.

Dislike: Not enough of stuff. I'm used to having 3 Best Buys, Multiple big malls, etc.

Dislike: The News

Dislike: Everything in sports revolves around the ACC

• 2 weeks later...

It would be really nice if a river ran through downtown Greensboro and Winston-Salem. I envy Danville, Virginia becasue they have one.

This would be great....I remember talk on this board about having a small lake that people could jog around by the southside neighborhood near the train station...anyone hear anything about that?

There are plans for a park where the old rail yard is right now in front of southside that will include a lake and all of the bells and whistles. We'll see what happens.

This would be great....I remember talk on this board about having a small lake that people could jog around by the southside neighborhood near the train station...anyone hear anything about that?

yup. Its not really a river but according to Action Greensboro's master plan it will be a chain of lakes stretching a mile throughout downtown along the railroad tracks. It will resemeble a waterway. But right now thats in the masterplan and there isnt a time table for construction on the lakes.

Here is a rendering. The master plan drawing has changed slightly with the ballpark now being located in the northwest part of downtown.

You can see the chain of lakes

axon.jpg

I don't like the amount of overhead utilities on many of the main roads in the Triad. Of course many other metro areas have this same problem. Part of Dixie Dr near Randolph Mall in Asheboro has underground utilities. Even though there is commercial sprawl on that stretch, at least it is somewhat more aesthetically pleasing without the utility poles. Imagine how much better Battleground Ave, for example, would look without the overhead power lines. Of course burying the power lines would be expensive, but it could be done gradually over the years. By the way, it would be nice to see a lake get built on the southside of DT GBO.

Archived