Grand Rapids Nude Dancing Ban....For? or Against?

Grand Rapids Nude Dancing Ban....For? or Against?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Are you For or Against the Nude Dancing Ban in Grand Rapids?

• Against
    • For

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

according to that its not a lawsuit against the city, but a lawsuit against the Black Hills group that donated the money.

Snoogit,

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't read the whole article :blush: I saw the news blip and thought I would post the link.

...to keep one cool, silly!

:rofl: that reminds me of the WWMT story a few years back of the guy who would mow his lawn in a thong. He was nearing 60, and everyone on the neighborhood complained of him. Of course he wasnt breaking any laws (he was covered) so the judge said he could mow in a tiny thong.

• 2 weeks later...

London bought a liquor license last week.

Here is the link from the Wood TV8 site:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5024559

Quote from the article:

London told 24 Hour News 8 he purchased the license from Santo Domingo Night Club at S. Division and Burton. If and when the license is transferred, the Showgirl Galleria dancers on Market Avenue can remain topless, but not nude.

Here is the link from the Wood TV8 site:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5024559

Quote from the article:

London told 24 Hour News 8 he purchased the license from Santo Domingo Night Club at S. Division and Burton. If and when the license is transferred, the Showgirl Galleria dancers on Market Avenue can remain topless, but not nude.

does this mean santo domingo is going out of business, or does it mean now there might be a new player in the all nude entertainment league? :wacko:

does this mean santo domingo is going out of business, or does it mean now there might be a new player in the all nude entertainment league? :wacko:

I read it as London bought just the license from Santo Domingo but not the bar/building. So I would guess that the Santo Domingo can stay open but would not be able to serve booze. Maybe the Santo Domingo can change ownership and apply for a new license from the City :dontknow: Pretty sneaky :thumbsup:

I read it as London bought just the license from Santo Domingo but not the bar/building. So I would guess that the Santo Domingo can stay open but would not be able to serve booze. Maybe the Santo Domingo can change ownership and apply for a new license from the City :dontknow: Pretty sneaky :thumbsup:

Whether you purchase a new license, or buy an existing one, the scrutiny that the potential owner comes under is the same. Plus, I believe there haven't been any new licenses available to issue for quite sometime. That is why the existing ones are demanding such prices when they are available to sell.

• 2 months later...

"Strip club owner Mark London said the dancers at Sensations night club will be wearing bikinis after midnight Friday after a federal judge today denied a request to delay enforcement of the city's new strip club ordinance."

Bikinis would be far more attractive than nudity or those awful hooters outfits.

Throw some sand on the floor and turn up the lights! :shades:

If you need a peek you have one more day. :P

"Strip club owner Mark London said the dancers at Sensations night club will be wearing bikinis after midnight Friday after a federal judge today denied a request to delay enforcement of the city's new strip club ordinance."

http://www.mlive.com/newslogs/grpress/

Apparently the City of Grand Rapids hates the 1st ammendment of the Constitution. :)

Maybe there is some contraversy about doing a ban like this. But if the city wants to continue its revival of downtown then it must appeal to families and individuals with some afluence, many of which lean toward being politically correct than not. More importantly, I've seen a family type resteruant go out of business not too long after the Velvet Touch moved next door to it. Maybe it was due to other surcumstances but I just can't rule out the Velvet Touch as being the primary reason. But no matter the cause, if I were a business owner, or a parent, I would not like the idea of having nuddy bar or any adult book store next door to me. In short I'd be crying "NIMBY!". That in mind, I'm going with the city on the nuddy ban.

Maybe there is some contraversy about doing a ban like this. But if the city wants to continue its revival of downtown then it must appeal to families and individuals with some afluence, many of which lean toward being politically correct than not. More importantly, I've seen a family type resteruant go out of business not too long after the Velvet Touch moved next door to it. Maybe it was due to other surcumstances but I just can't rule out the Velvet Touch as being the primary reason. But no matter the cause, if I were a business owner, or a parent, I would not like the idea of having nuddy bar or any adult book store next door to me. In short I'd be crying "NIMBY!". That in mind, I'm going with the city on the nuddy ban.

Families? I don't know many families that go downtown to do anything. Downtowns typically aren't for families, they are for single business professionals (SBPs), young childless couples (TCCs), and empty nesters (ENTs). Downtowns have been thriving without the children influence, it can continue to thrive without them.

The "kid friendly downtown" approach gave us disasters like Mackey's World. I really dont think it could work again.

Archived