Greer, SC updates

GSP Tiger

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an article in todays Herald-Journal That is a bit more informative.

Here are two quotes"

"The project would cover about 500 acres and would be the largest development of its type between Charlotte, N.C., and Atlanta."

"The development in question is called "mixed-use," a master-planned community like those that are found elsewhere in the country."

I agree that this project merits its own thread but, why under Spartanburg? Why not keep the topic under Greer updates? Better yet, why are Greer updates under Greenville and this project under Spartanburg? (I know the county line runs through the middle the city but then, the same could also be said for some projects.) Maybe Greer should just be under South Carolina it sure would make things easier to find.

The assumption that the project is not planned for an area already within the city limits of Greer could likely be off base. After all, all indications are that it is Greer and it's development arm, GDC that have been working on this project.

That thread is going to be moved to the Greenville section. All Greer related threads will be here. Duncan/Lyman/Wellford and Reidville, etc. threads will go to Spartanburg.

As a compromise, I will create a list of projects in Greer for our shared city in the Spartanburg section. I ask that as you create new threads related to Greer that you add a link and a brief topic description to that thread.

Link to thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28486

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was initially surprised, but after thinking about it for a minute, realized I should have seen it coming. The City of Greer and the County of Spartanburg are on opposite ends of the table regarding development. If I lived in Greer/Spartanburg County, I would seriously look into this issue.

Greer is talking about secession.... its directly related to the sewer/turf battle with Reidville, so lets talk about it here. (Link to story is in this thread)

I doubt it is solely directed to the serew/land battle with Spartanburg County.

The City of Greer and its outlying areas have steadily grew in recent decades. Its stability and growth is independent enough not to be a part of Greenville or Spartanburg counties.

What changes could we see if Greer as a "county"?

• city police department becomes county police
  • fire departments undergo realignment
  • coroner's office
  • state secondary roads (beginning with S-23 or S-42) would be redesignated as S-47

I wonder what Greer's future boundaries may include. I assume the outer boundary of the 29650/29651 zip codes, or the west boundary being the Enoree River and the 29687/29650 boundary line.

The Cazbah opening second location on Trade Street.

Rumor is that Blue Ridge Brewing Company may be right behind them. What we do know is that a Sport Bar called the BullPen is undercontruction, Bin112 is in the works as is an Italian restaurant. All on Trade St.

Hmm... so you are saying Greer could be it's own county? Interesting. As a Greenville county resident I was looking forward to enlisting in a local regiment to take part in the Greenville-Spartanburg War. Oh well. :silly:

No, The idea would be to move all of Greer into Greenville County.

I doubt it is solely directed to the serew/land battle with Spartanburg County.

The City of Greer and its outlying areas have steadily grew in recent decades. Its stability and growth is independent enough not to be a part of Greenville or Spartanburg counties.

What changes could we see if Greer as a "county"?

• city police department becomes county police
  • fire departments undergo realignment
  • coroner's office
  • state secondary roads (beginning with S-23 or S-42) would be redesignated as S-47

I wonder what Greer's future boundaries may include. I assume the outer boundary of the 29650/29651 zip codes, or the west boundary being the Enoree River and the 29687/29650 boundary line.

My understanding is that the part of Greer that currently lies in Spartanburg County would simply join the rest of Greer in Greenville County. I think this makes a lot of sense, especially since Greer seems more tied to Greenville than Spartanburg anyway (although it certainly receives influences from both).

I doubt Greenville County would want all of Greer coming in. Much animosity remains over a year after Greer's westward annexation into Taylors. Being an independent city-county allows Greer do its own things without realiance on other counties, and Greenville and Spartanburg counties can worry about their other cities.

I do not think this should happen immediately, but it is something to address later own.

For now, a solution with the sewer/land battle should be put to rest immediately.

With the various eatiers now coming to Greer Station, why not add Sticky Fingers and Wild Wing Cafe?

Moving the Spartanburg county side of Greer into Greenville County would be great for Greenville County as well as Greer.

It would bring to Greenville County some great assets such as the Plex and the 200 million + dollar project discussed on this site a couple of months ago, as well as a couple of other "biggies" rumored to be in the works. Some of Greer's most prime development property is on the Spartanburg County side, and yes, it's already in the city limits. It would also bring the quickly growing "motor mile" on Hwy 29 ... , Kia of Greer, the Toyota dealership, D. Brooks Honda, Hummer, and etc surely must be nice little tax producers.

I think it would be great, but how realistic is it that this will happen?

It's not that unusual in South Carolina. The Town of Edisto Beach has jumped back and forth between Charleston and Colleton Counties through the years (and is working on a plan to do it again now) and not long ago, Kershaw left Kershaw County and is now in Lancaster County. And I don't think either one of these towns had the problems associated with being split between two different counties like Greer does.

But remember, all Greer has said is they want to research the possibility and discover the advantages and disadvantages of secession. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Archived