Greer, SC updates

GSP Tiger

That plan was scrapped a while back, it just didn't make sense, it was to much space, it wasn't downtown and upfit was still going to be expensive and the building was going to cost alot more to operate and maintain.

I'm glad to know that. The new bulidings on those renderings look nice. They look like they will be a quality addition to Greer's downtown.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen the sign for the Copper River Shops on Hwy. 29 in Greer? It appears to be a decent small development with a Copper River Grill restaurant included. :)

Grading has been underway on this project for over a week now. It will be nice, though just another suburban-style development on highway 29. Too bad a massive town center development was not built in that vicinity before all of these various shopping centers and strip malls started popping up. It is beginning to resemble Woodruff Road, albeit a wider version.

It is beginning to resemble Woodruff Road, albeit a wider version.

Give me the stores I need from Woodruff Road (Hello warehouse stores are you listening? You too PF Chang's and Red Robin or a brand new Cheesecake Factory). Anything so I don't have to go to Woodruff Road - ever. I live near 29 and agree the town center style development would be nice, but as the only development we can seem to get is the strip malls I'll take. Probably heresy to say here on these boards (for the strip malls). But seriously, Woodruff Road is bad, really really really bad

Grading has been underway on this project for over a week now. It will be nice, though just another suburban-style development on highway 29. Too bad a massive town center development was not built in that vicinity before all of these various shopping centers and strip malls started popping up. It is beginning to resemble Woodruff Road, albeit a wider version.

Part of the reason this has taken so long is that it has been redesigned. Now all that is to be built is the restaurant. Part of the reason was because of the size the restaurant is going to be, this had to do with the success of the exsisting stores.

Give me the stores I need from Woodruff Road (Hello warehouse stores are you listening? You too PF Chang's and Red Robin or a brand new Cheesecake Factory). Anything so I don't have to go to Woodruff Road - ever. I live near 29 and agree the town center style development would be nice, but as the only development we can seem to get is the strip malls I'll take. Probably heresy to say here on these boards (for the strip malls). But seriously, Woodruff Road is bad, really really really bad

I think you will not see much large scale development on Wade Hampton for a bit, I think developers are going to wait and see how things go at I-85 and HWY 14 first. Once thing that holds Wade Hampton back is that it is an old road. Much development along it happen long ago, so the parcels are small and shallow making it hard for large scale development, lots of assemblage has to be done and that is expensive. Most development that does happen along Wade Hampton has been redevelopment rather than Greenfields. I want to see retail head down Buncombe Rd. from Wade Hampton towards 85. Then we have more chances for larger projects in the area.

• 3 months later...

There is a good article on Greer's growth in the Herald-Journal today. It talks about the growth in the City, comparing it to the area between Dallas, and Fort Worth, Texas. Downtown developments are also discussed. They also touch on the idea that Greer has become much more than its city limits, with people from "across the interstate" becoming members of the Greater Greer Chamber of Commerce.

Its a good read on what's happening in and around Greer.

• 7 months later...

Could be Galley, but the building is different than any other McDonald's Ive ever seen,

very small for a McDonald's, looks more like a coffee shop.

The one on Laurens is like a coffee shop inside with warm colors and dark fake leather sofas and such, but I'm not sure about the footprint compared to its previous state.

This should be satisfactory:

Nice find Skyliner!

This building is well thought out. The video is good, but seeing this building in person is really a treat. I especially like the idea that it has no back. You can see the two "fronts" in the clip ... one is behind the Administrator and the other, behind the Mayor. Once the park is complete, which I hear is to be the first part of December, this will really be a show place. The second floor event center is sure to be a huge success. It was well worth my recent visit.

• 1 month later...

There is an interesting article in the Herald-Journal today about Victor Mill. The site, as y'all are probably aware is in Greer, but it has not been annexed, so it technically lies in Spartanburg County. The mill's owner is nowhere to be found and the County has received numerous complaints about the site from Greer residents. County Council has mixed opinions on what to do, but I get the impression everyone thinks something needs to happen with the site.

Being so close to downtown Greer, I am hoping that someone will have the vision to turn it into condos or apartments and keep the structure there. The Upstate has lost entirely too many of its historic mills, so I hope something positive will happen with this one.

Link: Herald Journal

There is an interesting article in the Herald-Journal today about Victor Mill. The site, as y'all are probably aware is in Greer, but it has not been annexed, so it technically lies in Spartanburg County. The mill's owner is nowhere to be found and the County has received numerous complaints about the site from Greer residents. County Council has mixed opinions on what to do, but I get the impression everyone thinks something needs to happen with the site.

Being so close to downtown Greer, I am hoping that someone will have the vision to turn it into condos or apartments and keep the structure there. The Upstate has lost entirely too many of its historic mills, so I hope something positive will happen with this one.

Link: Herald Journal

ummm to late, about 90% of the mill has already been torn down.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The BP gas station that's been derelict and vacant for over 3 years on the corner of Wade Hampton and 101/290 has front end loaders, back hoes and the like all over it; finally some life on a very prime corner of real estate. Anyone know what's going to go there? If I was a betting man, I bet it's gonna be another gas station; I'll predict a Hickory Point, as they're rapidly expanding. I hope that I'm wrong.

I don't know what is going on, but my guess is its coming down and that is it. Unless the property behind it has also been aquired.

That gas station is on a tiny lot and the reason it closed was the DOT took its access away on Buncombe Rd. leaving it as stirckly a right in and right out only on Wade Hampton. For something interested to happen there it would need to be combined with the office behind it.

I don't know what is going on, but my guess is its coming down and that is it. Unless the property behind it has also been aquired.

That gas station is on a tiny lot and the reason it closed was the DOT took its access away on Buncombe Rd. leaving it as stirckly a right in and right out only on Wade Hampton. For something interested to happen there it would need to be combined with the office behind it.

Brad what's going on on the Northwest corner of Suber and Wade Hampton, across from Mickey Dees? It's a pretty big piece of land and has been cleared and starting to be graded; looks like it could be potential retail, but I'm not getting my hope up.

The site at Suber and Wade Hampton with the clearing and grading is just getting prepped for marketing, it is getting cleared and, graded and maybe detention in place but that it will be put to see, that is my understanding anyway, same for the other site just downt the street that just had the same thing happen.

Graders need work and they are giving good deals right now so some land owners are taking advantage of it.

• 1 month later...

Archived