Gary Player Moving to SC

gs3

More great news for South Carolina! Pro golfer Gary Player just announced he is moving his family and his design company from Palm Beach, FL. to Greenville County. In addition, once his newly designed golf course is open, he's looking to move his annual charity tournament to Greenville County. His annual tournament brings in major dollars and major names (Donald Trump, Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods, etc, etc). This comes on the heels of the US Pro Cycling moving to Greenville this year. Golf, cycling.....big dollars for South Carolina! :yahoo:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/14429265.htm

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....5/1003/ARCHIVES

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....8/1003/ARCHIVES

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome news indeed!

Greenville County just keeps getting larger.

This would be a great area to live in. It's one of the most BEAUTIFUL regions in South Carolina. Glad to have it in Greenville! :thumbsup: Hopefully it will do extremely well!

Hopefully they'll boast Greenville. The Cliffs flyers that can be found in newspapers across the country all show a picture of downtown Asheville... :angry: Which makes no sense especially since The Cliffs is bringing the US Pro Cyclinging event to GREENVILLE, not its neighbor to the north!

One of many quotes I especially like from that last article:

"I have designed 230, plus or minus, golf courses all over the world, and I have not met anybody like Jim Anthony. To give 1,000 acres to trails is unbelievable," Player said. "I call this the Switzerland of America. Is there a better place in the world? I don't think so." - Gary Player

I love that this is about so much more than just golf.....it's about hundreds of million dollar plus homes, hundreds of additional jobs, and millions of tourist dollars (not to mention name recognition). A really big win! :thumbsup:

This is HUGE guys! Gary Player is one of the biggest names in Golf, and in Sports. But beyond that, just the exposure. The article mentions 1500 homes, which means that between 2 and 5 thousand people could be living there before long. I would imagine almost all of them will be from out of the county, and most from out of state. It also mentions plans to have this televised, just think of the exposure for the state and for Greenville. This is the kind of thing that could have a massive snowball effect (not Gary Player moving, but the development itself and exposure). It looks like Greenville is developing into a sports mecca with the BMW, USPRO cycling, Big leauge world series in Easley, and now this. Even the new skate park will add to that. A lot of people are going to be hearing about the upstate over the next few years. :yahoo:

Don't know why the BMW flyers would advertise Asheville, especially since all the golfers stay in Greenville, and even have the Walk of Fame here. Everything I have ever heard about it says Greenville, or even Traveler's Rest.

If you watched the news this evening, you may have had tears of pride/joy. They inteviewed Gary Player and he talked about throughout his life, he never found a place he fell in love with the way he has here. He said he was "enamored" with this one spot in Greenville. He's from South Africa, and traveled the world. He has the power and money to live anywhere, period. He chose Greenville! :yahoo: Think we can get to join the UP forum? :P Talk about word of mouth....between he and George, we have a couple of big name spokesmen that LOVE it here as much as we all do.

This is HUGE guys! Gary Player is one of the biggest names in Golf, and in Sports. But beyond that, just the exposure. The article mentions 1500 homes, which means that between 2 and 5 thousand people could be living there before long. I would imagine almost all of them will be from out of the county, and most from out of state. It also mentions plans to have this televised, just think of the exposure for the state and for Greenville. This is the kind of thing that could have a massive snowball effect (not Gary Player moving, but the development itself and exposure). It looks like Greenville is developing into a sports mecca with the BMW, USPRO cycling, Big leauge world series in Easley, and now this. Even the new skate park will add to that. A lot of people are going to be hearing about the upstate over the next few years. :yahoo:

Don't know why the BMW flyers would advertise Asheville, especially since all the golfers stay in Greenville, and even have the Walk of Fame here. Everything I have ever heard about it says Greenville, or even Traveler's Rest.

They aren't BMW flyers, but Cliff's flyers. I've seen them in The Greenville News and in Chicago. They're all over in The State and USA Today.

They aren't BMW flyers, but Cliff's flyers. I've seen them in The Greenville News and in Chicago. They're all over in The State and USA Today.

That's unfortunate :(

Perhaps Asheville gives them money to print and circulate the flyers. HMMM, Greenville needs to do something about that. At least when i have seen the tournamnet on the Golf Channel, they always talk about South carolina, and Greenville or Treveler's rest. Asheville has very little claim on it, only one course is even in NC, and the players and stars all stay in Greenville, mostly DT, and the walk of fame and charity concert are both in Greenville, not to mention that the sponsor, BMW, is just across the county line.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived