Fulton/Louis/Ionia triangle

Khorasaurus

Is the small triangular surface lot and Fulton, Louis, and Ionia viable for development or is it too small? Did any buildings used to be on that site?

I always thought that the city (which I think owns the lot) should redevelop it into a plaza or park sort of like Capitol Square or Harmonie Park in Detroit (weird parcels of land created by the irregular street grid). I think it would encourage people to walk between the Ionia entertainment district and Monroe Center, which are not that far from each other but seem distant in most people's minds.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly big enough to develop. We've discussed some ideas for this lot before (urban park, flatiron-type building). It actually used to have a 12 story parking garage at one time, if you can believe it:

115398866_6c633092f1_o.jpg

.........................................^^right here^^

The lot wedged between Ionia/Fulton and the arena ramp can also be developed or made into a park. Why they left that piddly little lot with 10 or so metered spaces is beyond me. :silly:

I imagine some kind of McKay sister... Instead of the architecture of McKay I see a sleek modern glass building mirroring city lights while showing its steel frame. 15-20 stories will do. When I look at that picture it makes me kind of sad. :(

I wouldn't think that it would be too functional as a modern parking garage. Very few parking spaces would fit on a floor and all the corners would just be wasted space

I'm also guessing it must have had a lift/elevator system for moving cars since there apparently isn't room for a ramp system.

I've said it before, and I will say it again - pocket park with fountain, trees, and perennials. They could change out the fountain in the winter for a Christmas Tree. I really like the idea of keeping that open with all the buildings that face that triangle. Would do wonders for selling condos at the Fulton/Division Development. It would also be a nice respite in the middle of the city on a hot summer day. It's a very European idea.

When I was in Chicago I liked the way The Mile was kind of like a wall. I once envisioned Fulton in this way and to some extent the Eastern shore of The Grand. I like the transition of tall dense building into midrise/parkspace...

A plaza or park would be great for this location. However, I don't see a way for it to happen. Can the city afford to buy the lot from the current owner? No way. Will a private group want to buy the land and donate the land as public space? Doesn't fit the modus operandi of our local philanthropists. Anyone else see a way to make this happen?

This idea popped into my head after I originally posted. Would DeVos, Van Andel and Meijer chip in for a park to honor them (with a statue of each at each corner?) I know it's a goofy idea, but anything's better than a parking lot.

Ummm, I don't think so, but that would be goofy.

I'd be happy with some residential or the site would be great for another bar, maybe Dave & Busters like someone asked for a while ago.

I love the idea of a flat iron-shaped building 10-12 stories. You could do parking on the ground floor - I'm seeing a really open space, almost like the building is on stilts - is that possible? maybe an office or two on floors 2-3 and then full floor condos on each of the remaining floors. Clearly I'm not an architect, or an engineer, but I'm an urban dreamer! How cool would the views be? How cool would it be to live in that triangle?

I would say build some sort of building, 10+ floors and leave a small space open at the skinny end of the triangle for a mini park, enough for a fountain or statue and some benches.

If the building was roughly on the same footprint as the parking garage was, the park would be about the size of (or a little larger than) the island for the monument up the street. That's not a bad idea; there could even be a cafe on the first floor with outdoor seating in the park.

Hinman at one time planned to build a 12+ story building on the land and building a bigger parking ramp on his existing ramp (that serves the old MNB building).

I heard this straight from the horses mouth but it had to have been six or seven years ago. I haven't talked to him in years.

Joe

According to the book RISE OF THE NEW YORK SKYSCRAPER 1865-1913, the dimensions of the flatiron building are:

5th Ave. front 173 feet

Broadway front 190 feet

22nd St front 87 feet

What are the dimensions of the lot at 10 Ionia?

From your own photo above, we can guess from the listed dimension of the other lots across the street.

triangle.jpg

My guess is around 180' on Louis, 170' on Fulton, and around 120' from corner to corner on the short side.

I've said it before, and I will say it again - pocket park with fountain, trees, and perennials. They could change out the fountain in the winter for a Christmas Tree. I really like the idea of keeping that open with all the buildings that face that triangle. Would do wonders for selling condos at the Fulton/Division Development. It would also be a nice respite in the middle of the city on a hot summer day. It's a very European idea.

I second that.

Archived