Nashville to be home of Billy Graham statue

smeagolsfree

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, could be a nice piece. However, as selfless as Rev. Graham is, I bet it makes him a bit uncomfortable. I grew up listening to him preach and have seen him a few times. Not that he has been forgotten at all but it is good to see his faithfulness acknowledged and remembered. I hope this sculpture is first class.

Nashville will be home to a larger than life tribute to Billy Graham. The statue will be outside the Lifeway Center downtown. Its great to see more public art coming to town. Here is the related article from the Tennessean.

In keeping with Nashville's recent tradition of sculptures, the question has to be asked...

Is Billy gonna be nekkid ? :lol:

FMJ, I was thinking the EXACT same thing as soon as I read the first post!!! Ok, if he's not going to be nekid, lets put him in front of division circle; I hate that awful creation!

I've never been to a Billy Graham crusade, but I appreciate the work he's doing as an instrument of God. As the buckle of the Bible Belt, I'll be grateful for this type of artwork on our city. (As an aside, instead of more nudie statues and fake rollercoasters, why don't we have more artwork that reflects our Music Heritage and the Faith of this city?)

FMJ, I was thinking the EXACT same thing as soon as I read the first post!!! Ok, if he's not going to be nekid, lets put him in front of division circle; I hate that awful creation!

I've never been to a Billy Graham crusade, but I appreciate the work he's doing as an instrument of God. As the buckle of the Bible Belt, I'll be grateful for this type of artwork on our city. (As an aside, instead of more nudie statues and fake rollercoasters, why don't we have more artwork that reflects our Music Heritage and the Faith of this city?)

rtb, this is an excellent suggestion! As a baptist, the "Nashville Necked" doesn't bother me at all and I think it is beautiful in a way I guess but I'd love to see more art work that reflects our heritage and faith, as you said. It would be nice, as our city rapidly moves forward, to make sure we remember where we came from and why we are here.

come on guys, i want to see something more pedestrian friendly. maybe open up a christian bookstore in his lobby. all ya'll ever want is height height height..... :P

:rofl: Love it!

Why not make him a full fledged tower? Would it not be so cool to say

"Yeah I live inside Billy Graham."

I can see it now..."The Billy, good clean living!"

:rofl: Love it!

I can see it now..."The Billy, good clean living!"

You guys are totally out of control!!! :rofl:

Seriously though, I think it's wonderful that a statue to one of the world's most admired men and inspirational leaders will be right here in Nashville.

I'm sorry to break the comical spirit of this thread, but im going to have to be negative on this one.

As a person of a different faith I am unsettled by the lifeway compound. Everytime I drive into town and see the ENOURMOUS crucifix on the side of the Lifeway building I am reminded that I am a minority. It makes me feel unwelcome and uninvited. I think this is a stigma on our city that most outsiders cannot overcome. They consider us the heart of the Bible-belt and are afraid that we are all going to persecute anyone that is not of Christian faith. I know this is a dominant part of Nashville's history, I just wish that it wasn't so flaunted by the skyline of the city.

Please don't consider this an insult on Billy Graham or Christianity. I thing Billy Graham is a great man and a good role model for Christians. I also know that many of you have strong feelings on this issue, but I just felt the need to express mine.

Get over it. I'm Jewish and I see crosses all the time. I never let them offend me. As members of a minority in a free society, we can choose to be offended or not. I think it's absolutely silly to think that b/c someone is a Christian, or a city has Christian symbols, that its citizens will persecute me. Keep in mind, every place has minorities. I feel no differently when I'm in NYC, where I'm most definitely NOT in a minority.

Mind you, I'm not saying that discrimation doesn't exist, but that's not your beef either.

nashvillwill,

I encourage you to abadon your qualms regarding the Lifeway Christian Center (and/or the Bible Belt). Those types of sentiments are usually self-induced anyway. We have the ability to convince ourselves of anything--rationalize everything. In essence, we can decide how we feel.

After all, Lifeway is a Christian organization--why wouldn't they use a symbol of their faith on their building? Seems rather practical. It's not a particularly unattractive building, I don't think. Certainly, it's no more of a "stigma" than the Baptish or St. Thomas Hospital monikers. I doubt and "outsider" would take issue with the name or affiliation of a hospital if their health were at stake.

If you think Billy Graham is a great man, think of that greatness as a product of his Christian convictions. I don't believe that the two have to be exclusive. He could be a great man and good role model for Christians and for others as well. Good is good. People are people. Christians are people too.

I am always concerned when something so simple as religion puts a dry feeling in someones mouth. We like to simplify and categorize, and it's so easy to do that.

Because of this, it is important that we are not only mindful of our differences, but that we aware of our prejudices also. When we grow to appreciate our differences--not just respect them--that is when society truly thrives.

We are a diverse society. In as positve and complete a manner as possible, our skyline should symbolize who we are--all of our City.

We are a diverse society. In as positve and complete a manner as possible, our skyline should symbolize who we are--all of our City.

vinemp, point taken....after thinking about this i realize my aggrevation is more for unrelated political reasons that i don't even want to discuss.

Archived