Nashville to be home of Billy Graham statue

smeagolsfree

O, I understand where you are coming from. Remember the old saying, "Religion and politics dont mix". Many of the political parties try to do this. One thing about Billy Graham is that he was involved in some politics very early on and then decided to never take sides on political views. I think that is one reason he has a lot of respect on both sides of the political spectrum. He has been a spiritual adviser to a number of Presidents from both parties.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, I think that Billy Graham is widely respected outside of Southern Baptist circles similar to the way that Mother Teresa was outside of Catholic circles. Billy is all about bringing glory to God, not about bringing it to himself, least of all by attacking others. And I do think that it is cool that Nashville will have this statue. (Why not the Billy Graham Center for Evangelism at Wheaton College here in the Chicago suburbs?) But could someone clarify for me where exactly it will stand? I recall there being several Lifeway buildings dotting the western side of downtown, from Broadway to Church. Could someone refresh my memory on which building is the headquarters building described? I'd like to check out the statue sometime.

My guess is that it will be in front of the building that sits diagonal to 9th and Commerce, well within the organization's business space and not exactly in what I would call the extreme public realm. Dr. Graham is a great man, a visionary. If the denomination wants to honor him, I think it's quite fitting.

Hell, Peterbilt has a full-size 18-wheeler on a stick in front of their place in Smyrna. The Ryman has the Captain. War Memorial has Mr. Butt. Parthenon has Athena. River has John Donelson. Capitol has Carmack. The Roundabout has the Nudie Express. Nobody seems to complain about the Virgin Mary, she's all over the place I tell ya.

If any one group wants a statue to honor their beliefs, fine. I think it's great. If said group feels they deserve one, that's great too. Buy a spot, hold a fundraiser. Make it tasteful, pls.

I have no problem with this statue personally. As long as it is a good looking piece of art, then great! Billy Graham was a very good man, so he deserves a statue and i'm pleased it will be in my city. Jerry Falwell on the other hand...well...lets just say i'm not exactly fond of him and leave it at that. :blush:

Archived