McMansionettes being torched in Dilworth

monsoon

Okay, I'll concede this argument for the boundaries of Dilworth (except for the part along Stonewall, which there is no question is part of uptown's Second Ward).

Here would be a better site, though, to define neighborhood boundaries:

http://ww.charmeck.org/qol/cwac.htm

Charlotte Dr is within Historic Dilworth's boundaries

http://www.idilworth.org/map_hist_dist.html

The Dilworth Neighborhood website includes the area east of Scott, but omits the parcels along King's. So now I'm very confused.

http://www.idilworth.org/map_neighborhood.html

Frankly, neighborhood boundaries often vary over time as people identify with nearby neighborhoods more than their official designation. As South End is no longer of similar quality or character to Dilworth, it will more and more be known as a separate neighborhood.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think that the CMPD could stakeout the area and catch this "girl"or whoever the culprit really is. Several residents have seen someone. Are they expected to chase the person down and do a citizen's arrest and then call the police? One of these small yard fires could quickly get out of hand and spread. Did the police ever find out who was behind the arsons in Myers Park? No. Have the police caught the Dilworth&Myers Park serial rapist? No.

Well we are only going by media reports based on speculation of people living there that it is a girl. It could be anyone buring these houses. There may even be several people as high media coverage cases like this sometimes spark others to do the same thing. Burn a few places in say East or West Charlotte, and nobody cares, burn Dilworth and the media falls all over each other in the mad rush to cover it. That may have something to do with it.

It would be interesting to know how many houses do catch on fire each year in CLT.

An escalation of what? Is there some kind of war going on over there? We have talked about this before but could this be a protest of the over the top homes being built there?

It could be. There have been other areas where environmental activists took advice from the PETA Book of Discordian Behavior. There was a high profile case either last year or 2004 where several homes in a development were burned by activists. Or rather allegedly burned by activists. There was a dispute over nearby wetlands. Anyway, it could be the same case here. Although I don't see the point of burning a building to protect the environment.

Yes, the ELF does not have a membership or any type of organization. Its entirely organic. Anyone who has an enviro/dev issue and wants to take direct action can use their banner. Thats why finding culprits is so tough. The Feds finally busted dozens of people several months ago. That being said, I think its more likely a troubled teenager or vagrant.

"This is Dilworth. People are often surprised to learn that Dilworth does not include the area across the street from Caribou coffee, i.e. Shomars, Talleys Grocery, etc. That is part of Myers Park Manor I believe."

That is not true, if you look at attached maps from Dilworth Pedscape presentation showing history of the neighborhood and boundary maps dating back to 1953. Dilworth stretches all the way to Freedom Park, the confusion might be historic dilworth compared to the total neighborhood.

http://www.idilworth.org/SAP_Presentation.pdf

That simply looks to be primiarly a document to justifiy the limitiation on TOD development to prevent towers in or near the dilworth neighborhood. The trick there is to extend the boundries to more than Dilworth to protect Dilworth itself. I admit it is a clever approach.

Speaking of TOD. According to the DCDA meeting on Wed its been deferred for the forseeable future. The DCDA board said the plannning dept is going to go back to the drawing board after hearing Dilworth complaints and the earliest it will be sent back to council is next spring. In the meantime conditional TOD will be in effect and projects will be viewed on an individual basis with zoning taken into account. The arson task force did not have much news on the fires. Just advised continued vigilance and a woman they suspected has been cleared.

Speaking of TOD. According to the DCDA meeting on Wed its been deferred for the forseeable future. The DCDA board said the plannning dept is going to go back to the drawing board after hearing Dilworth complaints and the earliest it will be sent back to council is next spring. In the meantime conditional TOD will be in effect and projects will be viewed on an individual basis with zoning taken into account. The arson task force did not have much news on the fires. Just advised continued vigilance and a woman they suspected has been cleared.

Does that mean that the planned changes to East Blvd. have also been shelved?

The streetscape improvements between Scott and Kings? They have started construction on that already. As far as the PED rezonings, I have a feeling that those changes will be delayed, and that the Morehead, Kenilworth, and Park Rd. PED plans may get pushed back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks as if the arsonist prefers the homes of Dilworth over Wilmore as, the lead story on WSOC's 6pm news, is that another house there has been lit up. Happened at 1am in the morning while the occupants were sleeping in their bedroom. They were awakened by the smoke and flames.

Scary stuff. Nobody knows if their house in Dilworth will be set ablaze at night and the police apparently are clueless as to who is doing it. According the WSOC, this is the 13th fire in 4 months.

Well looks as if the arsonist prefers the homes of Dilworth over Wilmore as, the lead story on WSOC's 6pm news, is that another house there has been lit up. Happened at 1am in the morning while the occupants were sleeping in their bedroom. They were awakened by the smoke and flames.

Scary stuff. Nobody knows if their house in Dilworth will be set ablaze at night and the police apparently are clueless as to who is doing it. According the WSOC, this is the 13th fire in 4 months.

Have any of the torched homes been in other areas of Dilworth or just in the South Blvd / Ideal Way area?

Well, according to Charlotte.com an arrest was made today in the arson cases. Finally some good news. I am sure people will sleep a lot better. BTW, there is the most DISGUSTING Mcmansion being built on the corner of Mcdonald and Euclid directly behind The Villages of Southend. I noticed it for the first time today. Its mammoth!! And looks absolutely ridiculous next to the small cottages lining the street. I am sure its only the first of many. UGH.

Archived