1300 jobs for Spartanburg

hub-city

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved these posts... I figured that since this is such a huge development that it deserves its own thread!

The article says about 1300 jobs. The plans are not finalized, but that is an awesome bit of news. That would have a substantial impact on that part of town. Hopefully for the better :)

Don't like the sounds of this article. Our brilliant politicians..... :(

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../604270314/1003

I read this! :( They better not screw this up! That'd suck and honestly deserve to lose their jobs!

Hopefully it won't affect the possibility of them coming to Sparkle City. We'll see... my fingers are crossed!

I wouldn't give up hope completely. If the company was close to a deal before the news leaked, what did the leak do to change their minds about locating in Spartanburg? In my mind, the leak did nothing but good around here at the very least. :thumbsup:

Well, if you read the article you'll see that companies take confidentiality very seriously when searching for new loations. It is also of note because if one of the competing cities finds out who its compteitor is, they can alter their offerings appriately and we could do nothing to counter since we dont know who it is. If it becomes a repeating problem then companies may stop investing in SC. Supposedly this was a rookie mistake but it could end up being a very costly one. I am very confident that he won't make it again. The info leak is certainly not a good thing, but its probably not that big of a deal. It depends on how far a long in the negotiations they are. I think that it won't be a problem though.

Thats news to me! Thats the site just west of Dave Edward's, right?

That would be great news now! Has anyone heard of anyone wanting to locate in the following former big-box locations?:

The remainder of Franklin Square (between Kohl's and Hobby Lobby)

Anywhere in Market Square (particularly the old Home Depot and old Michael's)

In the old Lowe's/Best Buy

Any old Winn-Dixie

The former eastside Harris-Teeter

The old Community Cash store on E. Blackstock Road (next to Shamrock Lanes and Ricky's)

The old Ingle's/Family Dollar complex on Reidville Road (between Bi-Lo and the Beacon)

Any other old empty grocery store (particularly any Community Cash, Piggly Wiggly on Chesnee Hwy, any old Ingle's, two of which are the 292 Lyman location and the old Springfield location)

Any old restaurants

I am confident that these will be filled, and that there are some big-boxes that we still do not have and could support (Staples, Borders, Books-A-Million...coming soon)

Also perhaps Target should soon consider upgrading to be a Super Target store for Spartanburg.

I would love to see the return of Kmart and Rose's (they still have them) to Spartanburg.

That would be great news now! Has anyone heard of anyone wanting to locate in the following former big-box locations?:

I am confident that these will be filled, and that there are some big-boxes that we still do not have and could support (Staples, Borders, Books-A-Million...coming soon)

In most cases, empty big box structures will need to be scraped, especially if a national tenant is looking at the site. It is generally easier for companies to build a "branded" big box than to retrofit somebody else's. Of course, with the combination of higher construction costs and more design standards that eliminate the ability of national retailers to "brand" their buildings, this may become less of an issue in the future.

While re-occupations like Jeff Lynch taking over the old Lowe's in Greenville are great, they are uncommon, unfortunately.

I do know that there are companies looking at these sites for other types of uses... recreation and light industrial, but there are more empty big boxes than there are comanies to fill them.

Very true. Our last batch of big boxes was leveled with the exception of the Eastside Kmart, which was split up into some small shops and a midsized store (Ross). Sometimes splitting them up is an option sometimes, but I think that with most of the locaitons mentioned, they will have to be torn down. Its good that our commercial developers only plan for buildings to last 10 years or so, otherwise it might be expensive to tear them down and cheaper to reuse them.

• 3 weeks later...

The Spartanburg County Council just approved an inentives package for EchoStar

"The proposal includes a millage rate reduction, a fee in lieu of taxes arrangement, and job and infrastructure tax credits for the DISH Network satellite television provider." They didn't go into any further details since the negotiations are still ongoing.

Its good to know that we didn't scare them off.

Article

• 2 weeks later...

Great news! :yahoo: I wonder if this is the large building next to the I-85 bypass, near I-26? That would make the most sense, but I am not positive about the name of the business park. This will certainly be a shot in the arm for Spartanburg's economy, and I imagine it will inevitably strengthen the Upstate and even the state economy as well. Dish Network provides the best service, IMO. :shades:

I believe so. There are also a couple of other buildings in that industrial park already occupied. i think this is the one being built on the right as you look from I-85. I was thinking of switching to Dish. This might have just made up my mind. 1300 jobs will be a tremendous boost to those from beverage-air and other companies that have downsized or closed in the area.

Archived