Springfield Transportation

The I-44/US 65 interchange in northeast Springfield is getting it's outdated cloverleaf design 4 new flyover ramps starting this summer. The first phase will be completed by the end of this year and the seconde phase has not been set for construction. This same design is going to be done at the US 60/65 interchange in southeast Springfield.

DO350865.JPG

OTO (Ozarks Transportation Organization) is making plans for widening US 65 to 6 lanes from I-44 to a point in Ozark. The timetable has not been set but city officials are pushing for this project to get done as soon as possible becasue of the traffic congestion along this stretch of highway.

Here is a link to the Missouri Dep. of Transportation: http://www.modot.org/

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Don't usually see these kinds of mixmasters outside of major metros.

Yeah you really don't, although there are some in midsized metros, I really think it depends on the traffic more than anything. I can't wait for these to get done but I'm sure when their being built it will really hold up traffic :angry: Anyway's by 2011 all three flyover intersections will be completed in Springfield thanks to the 6th largest Highway cut Missouri got from the Fed Gov.

• 1 month later...

Amtrak passenger train service could come to Springfield within a year or two.

"The Missouri Department of Transportation is working with Amtrak to develop a daily round-trip route between Springfield and St. Louis. The route would include stops at Lebanon, Rolla, Sullivan and Kirkwood.

The project is only in early stages of development, but it can't come soon enough for retired railroad worker Glenn Martin.

"We've ridden Amtrak trains before, and it was marvelous," said Martin, a 35-year veteran of the Frisco and Burlington Northern rail companies."

To read more on this story click here: http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../606150369/1007

• 2 weeks later...

^^

I remember the Amtrak station where I grew up in St. Petersburg, FL. I've only ridden Amtrak once in my adult life and it is truly the best way to travel... a bit on the expensive side, but still my favorite. I used to daydream as a kid looking out the window passing by all the people in their backyards and wondering what their lives were like. Then trees would fill the window and another town with more backyards would appear. Memories. :rolleyes:

Hey Slyder, do you have any numbers on bus passengers for Springfield?

The number of paid riders on just the Springfield Bus System was 1.47 million in 2005. The city is expecting a 15% increase in 2006 along with a new downtown Station by 2008.

The number of paid riders on just the Springfield Bus System was 1.47 million in 2005. The city is expecting a 15% increase in 2006 along with a new downtown Station by 2008.

That sounds like a good number for a city of around 150,000. I'd say that breaks down to over 4,000 riders per day. Are there many bus stops in Springfield and do they have covered benches? I've forgotten what urban life is like living in NWA. :D

That sounds like a good number for a city of around 150,000. I'd say that breaks down to over 4,000 riders per day. Are there many bus stops in Springfield and do they have covered benches? I've forgotten what urban life is like living in NWA. :D

There are bus stops all over Springfield. Of course at every major intersection as well as most secondary intersections then speratically placed on the sides of the roads. All of the bus stops at the major intersections are covered as well a downtown and others. I would say there are easily 50 covered bus stops in Springfield.

There are bus stops all over Springfield. Of course at every major intersection as well as most secondary intersections then speratically placed on the sides of the roads. All of the bus stops at the major intersections are covered as well a downtown and others. I would say there are easily 50 covered bus stops in Springfield.

Man, I wish our bus system was that extensive.

That's one of the things I miss about living in St. Petersburg, FL and Dallas, TX... and Thousand Oaks, CA for that matter. I used to just walk to just about any street corner and sit on a covered bench and hop on a bus that would get me anywhere within the city limits. You meet the most interesting (and some not so interesting) people on a city bus. A city bus system can be considered one of the most important features of urban living.

That's one of the things I miss about living in St. Petersburg, FL and Dallas, TX... and Thousand Oaks, CA for that matter. I used to just walk to just about any street corner and sit on a covered bench and hop on a bus that would get me anywhere within the city limits. You meet the most interesting (and some not so interesting) people on a city bus. A city bus system can be considered one of the most important features of urban living.

You certainly do meet alot of interesting people. I love to ride the downtown trolley, I get to meet so many out-of-towners those are the most interesting people to me. Anyway's the new bus staion being built downtown will be in a brand new 1000 space parking garage with restaurats and shops. The design has not been reveald but it shouldn'tbe too long.

Springfield Highways are getting more and more busy as the years go by. From all the directional flyover interchanges being constructed to upgrading once neglected highways to interstate standards. As the I-44 US 65 interchange is being constructed the BIG DADDY to the south, also known as US60/65 interchange is getting ready for a rebirth all its own. Here is a current photo of the intersection and what the first phase will look like. The second phase will be the same design but will be on the other two clover leafs.

bilde-1.jpgDO33781711.jpg

Here is the link to the OTO Ozark Transportation Organization website. They have very extensive lists for current and future road projects within the OTO boundries.

• 2 weeks later...

Springfield Highways are getting more and more busy as the years go by. From all the directional flyover interchanges being constructed to upgrading once neglected highways to interstate standards. As the I-44 US 65 interchange is being constructed the BIG DADDY to the south, also known as US60/65 interchange is getting ready for a rebirth all its own. Here is a current photo of the intersection and what the first phase will look like. The second phase will be the same design but will be on the other two clover leafs.

bilde-1.jpgDO33781711.jpg

Here is the link to the OTO Ozark Transportation Organization website. They have very extensive lists for current and future road projects within the OTO boundries.

Very impressive. I like those flyovers much better than the old clover-leaf interchanges. I can't believe that train tracks actually cross US 60! That's insane and it's great that they're going to raise US 60 over the tracks, which should have been done in the first place IMO.

Very impressive. I like those flyovers much better than the old clover-leaf interchanges. I can't believe that train tracks actually cross US 60! That's insane and it's great that they're going to raise US 60 over the tracks, which should have been done in the first place IMO.

You're telling me. The train only goes through at night except for 3 times a month during the rush hour traffic. I will never forget when I was stuck in that mess to say the least. When the train goes through during the rush hour, traffic is backed up to exits. I remeber sitting there for 15 minuets not even moving an inch. I would like to find ther idiot that came up with that great idea. "Hey lets put a set of train tracks on a highway." Of course it was done along time ago but you would think that they would plan into the future, then agian we are in the Ozarks. Anyways I am not looking forward to the construction and traffic delays when this project starts up. Traffic volumes for this intersection are over 120,000 cars a day! What can you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that School is back in session traffic becomes even worse. Springfield swells to about 180,000 when all the colleges are in full swing and it doesn't make the traffic situations any better. The OTO is finnaly getting the funding to get 65 up to 6 lanes and 8-10 in certain area's. Construction is set to begin sometime next year. :yahoo: No more rush hour backups on 65!

• 5 months later...