Springfield Transportation

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Trying not to be rude but I believe we have this info stated in the springfield Transportation thread.

I know there's another thread for this... I would like to make new topic for this only... Since when I was childhood, this is one worst interchange ever I had.... because of railroad and steep lanes. Finally, they are are going to make more safety and cool looks!!!

Nah, you're great guy!

Edited by Pyaxi

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this is City's first six lanes? I never knew that South National was quite busy at this afternoon.

Intersection: adding dual left-turn lanes and dedicated right-turn lanes in all directions, as well as widening National to six lanes south of Primrose to the on- and off-ramps at James River Freeway.

Also possible in the future of James River Freeway and National for Improvements.

Springfield Business Journel:

http://www.sbj.net/article.asp?aID=2916855...&aID2=76415

I believe this is City's first six lanes? I never knew that South National was quite busy at this afternoon.

Intersection: adding dual left-turn lanes and dedicated right-turn lanes in all directions, as well as widening National to six lanes south of Primrose to the on- and off-ramps at James River Freeway.

Also possible in the future of James River Freeway and National for Improvements.

Springfield Business Journel:

http://www.sbj.net/article.asp?aID=2916855...&aID2=76415

It will be six lanes from James River Frwy. to Battlefield Rd. on National,. The first phase will consist of the widening to six lanes south of Primrose and then the second phase is widening from Primrose to Battlefield. The same design aesthetics are being planned for Glenstone Ave. from James River Frwy. to Sunset (the road that lines the north side of the mall). These projects should have been done along time ago. I compared traffic counts on roads with 6 lanes or more in cities the same size as Springfield. Needless to say, Springfield had some much higher numbers than those of other cities with 6 lane roads. Leave it too Missouri to always lag behind. At least we NOW have a good plan to fix all of these bottlenecks.

Edited by slyder1

According to the traffic volume map, in 2005 National had a volume of 40,000 cars a day from Battlefield to James River and in 2003 Glenstone had 35,000 cars a day from Sunset to James River. Whats even more crazy is that Campbell had a count of 43,000 and that still is only 5 lanes. We are going to have some really, really bad traffic in a couple of years. :angry:

here's a link to a traffic map for that area......http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/egov/publi.../info/ADTse.pdf

Edited by slyder1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone driven by the 65/I-44 Interchange? They are making lots of progress and the steel for the first flyover is almost complete. It is really starting to look like a BIG URBAN INTERCHANGE.

:D

I did... I watch them growing.... 2 or 3 times a week. I just love to see things erect up the sky.

:D

I might be crazy, but I gotta to do this. For folks to see what it looking right now... I-44 & 65

As you're driving to North, you will see new flyover to I-44 also new road more wide and safety for to East I-44. I believe they are making 2 lanes on Flyover, oblviously see this big wide flyover.

44655.jpg

Still on North I-44...

44654.jpg

As you look at your left, you will see the new flyover behind the bridge, which will be soon connected where cars will go over to West I-44...

44653.jpg

And another last shot more closer...

44652.jpg

As you're turning left to West I-44 (which will be no more stupid old "clove road")... You will see the south of view where new flyover to West I-44.

44651.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What are everyone's thoughts on a east-west or north-south limited access expressway through Springfield + downtown? It would obviously reduce traffic on the main arteries, but do you think it would be cost effective? Also where could one go without tearing down whole blocks of the city?

Crosstown Expressway, hmmm, interesting... Springfield have Chestnut Expressway on north of Downtown, Kansas Expressway on west of Downtown, National Road on east of Downtown... I think they won't make additional road on that area.... BUT I heard a rumor about putting Highway on the Chestnut Expressway, don't expect that one. Crosstown, I like that sound of name... sound classic. :shades:

Edited by Pyaxi

What are everyone's thoughts on a east-west or north-south limited access expressway through Springfield + downtown? It would obviously reduce traffic on the main arteries, but do you think it would be cost effective? Also where could one go without tearing down whole blocks of the city?

It will happen the question is when? Propably about 15-20 years. Once the smaller underutilized roads like Benton, Trafficway, and Division to five lanes, chestnut will propably get widened and upgraded to a freeway status. However it would take at least 3-5 years for it to be completed. Meaning all the interchanges and land aquisitions that are needed.

North-south: Kansas Expressway will be 3 lanes in each direction soon as you can see the extra lanes are there in the new interchanges at battlefield and sunshine but there needs to be some major upgrades around the I-44 intersection to make to make the route a quick trip accross the city with not all that many waits at stoplights

East-west: chesnut would be easy to upgrade through the middle of the city as there are no driveways on it but the road. I think it would have to be re-routed as it approches US-65 becuase of all the buisnesses dirrectly on the road.

Edited by d_weava

Comments may be submitted in writing to the Ozarks Transportation Organization, PO Box 8368, 840 Boonville Ave., Springfield, MO 65801; e-mailed to [email protected]; or faxed to (417) 864-188

You can send comments about your idea or anything, they're are very great organization. They're planning to improve interchange 65 and 14 in Ozark, and many things!

I'm so glad that we have more groups than MoDOT for transportation! More are better than single.

Hope this will help you! :D

Edited by Pyaxi

North-south: Kansas Expressway will be 3 lanes in each direction soon as you can see the extra lanes are there in the new interchanges at battlefield and sunshine but there needs to be some major upgrades around the I-44 intersection to make to make the route a quick trip accross the city with not all that many waits at stoplights

East-west: chesnut would be easy to upgrade through the middle of the city as there are no driveways on it but the road. I think it would have to be re-routed as it approches US-65 becuase of all the buisnesses dirrectly on the road.

I noticed that as well about Kansas. The only thing is that when Kansas Expwy. reaches Chestnut they will have to aquire land all the way to I-44 to widen it throughout the whole city. I still can't believe that a city our size doesn't have a 6 lane road or expressway through town. Glenstone will be another fun road to widen! LOL

Folks, I found a treasure.

PDF from MoDOT, that shows whole about Missouri Transportation such like improvements, developments, etc. Most of them cost up to more than 37 billions dollars. :shok:

As you know I-70 and I-44, that they are discussing about adding lanes and Truck Lanes, improve interchanges, exits, etcs. Amtrak rails will be between St. Louis to Springfield AND will have Springfield to Branson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whole U.S. 60 will have corridor improvements, but I don't know much about it. It doesn't have a detail about it.

Also...... James River Freeway and U.S. 65 will add lanes and to revise interchanges, too!!!!!!!!!! Both of them cost about more than 300 millions dollars.

I hope you guys will enjoy it!

I agree with MSU bear. I REALLY hope that they are adding a third lane on the I44&65 and 65&60 interchanges. With the rate of growth in the area a third lane will be needed on I44, 65, and 60 in the near future. If MoDot didn't plan for that then they are retarded.

Lol, I agree. But, I-44 will have 8 lanes. one lane extra, and one will be truck lane.

I'm not sure how much they will add the lanes to 60 and 65... tough to predict.