Springfield Transportation

I-44 and MO 13 (Kansas Exspressway) Interchange getting a makover... FINALY!!

The first Diverging Diamond Interchange in the US!

Link to rendering and information about Diverging Interchange: http://www.news-leader.com/assets/pdf/DO10...3kOTiUOyqLhg%3D

The best rendering is in the Friday News-Leader. MODOT put a photo of what the interhcange will look like.

WOW!!!

It's about freakin time!!

• 1 month later...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Springfield are going to renewal road work tax this year for 2009 to 2012 Projects.

Those are among the projects that would be funded through renewal of a 1/8-cent transportation sales tax, which costs 12.5 cents for every $100 spent in the city. The referendum will go before Springfield voters on Aug. 5.

Here what I heard about improvements:

WIden 65 HWY 4 lanes to 6 lanes, in two phases from Battllefield to Sunshine Street and Sunshine Street to Chestnut Expressway (Which I think this funds come from Springfield, MoDot statements (2009-2013) that might widen 6 lanes I-44 to Ozark which would pay whole north hwy and south hwy to Ozark)

As you know about this Interstate 44 and Kansas Expressway Interchange Improvements which is part of this project.

"Diverging diamond" model on National Avenue, and construct an tunnel under National access to the CoxHealth emergency department. (A tunnel under national? One of my eyebrow raised when I read that "beneath" the National road)

James River and Campbell Avenue interchange improvements (Phase I).... (Wait, Phase I? Is there another phases?? hmmm interesting... I hope they're part of Republic road too!)

Add left-turn lanes and through lanes for traffic on Campbell under the James River Freeway. Also conjunction with new retail development at the southwest corner of the interchange.

There are couples other projects too, which is not really big change on roads. So only these roads i put up there are BIG changes. I gotta to let my mom know about National and James River Freeway, so my mom won't go confused about "diverging diamond". :unsure:

Springfield are going to renewal road work tax this year for 2009 to 2012 Projects.

Here what I heard about improvements:

WIden 65 HWY 4 lanes to 6 lanes, in two phases from Battllefield to Sunshine Street and Sunshine Street to Chestnut Expressway (Which I think this funds come from Springfield, MoDot statements (2009-2013) that might widen 6 lanes I-44 to Ozark which would pay whole north hwy and south hwy to Ozark)

As you know about this Interstate 44 and Kansas Expressway Interchange Improvements which is part of this project.

"Diverging diamond" model on National Avenue, and construct an tunnel under National access to the CoxHealth emergency department. (A tunnel under national? One of my eyebrow raised when I read that "beneath" the National road)

James River and Campbell Avenue interchange improvements (Phase I).... (Wait, Phase I? Is there another phases?? hmmm interesting... I hope they're part of Republic road too!)

Add left-turn lanes and through lanes for traffic on Campbell under the James River Freeway. Also conjunction with new retail development at the southwest corner of the interchange.

There are couples other projects too, which is not really big change on roads. So only these roads i put up there are BIG changes. I gotta to let my mom know about National and James River Freeway, so my mom won't go confused about "diverging diamond". :unsure:

I am excited about alot of these projects but not the construction. Just imagine what National and JRF will be like. AHHHHHH!! We gotta get em' done some time right! I also read about the widening of 65 from I-44 to Ozark on the MODOT website, but I wonder when they will finish it.

There was also another big project at the Kansas Expressway Bridge over the Stockyards. It will be rehabilitated.

I am excited about alot of these projects but not the construction. Just imagine what National and JRF will be like. AHHHHHH!! We gotta get em' done some time right! I also read about the widening of 65 from I-44 to Ozark on the MODOT website, but I wonder when they will finish it.

There was also another big project at the Kansas Expressway Bridge over the Stockyards. It will be rehabilitated.

Ohh, I would like to hear about this Kansas Exp Bridge more...

It was in the Sunday News-Leader. All they said was "a major bridge rehabilitation on Kansas Exspressway."

I was thinking about this 1/8 cent sales tax and people would be stupid not to approve it. I understand that the economy is crap, but this is the only tax on the ballet this August and all of these road improvements for only 12.6 cents "IF" you spend $100! Come on! I hope that once the economy rebounds, the next time this tax rolls around in 2012 they make it 1/4 cent tax.

It was in the Sunday News-Leader. All they said was "a major bridge rehabilitation on Kansas Exspressway."

I was thinking about this 1/8 cent sales tax and people would be stupid not to approve it. I understand that the economy is crap, but this is the only tax on the ballet this August and all of these road improvements for only 12.6 cents "IF" you spend $100! Come on! I hope that once the economy rebounds, the next time this tax rolls around in 2012 they make it 1/4 cent tax.

I must have missed that part of article.

I'm pretty sure, they will vote... I just read blogs in News-Leader, they all agreed with it. They were cheering for extra lanes on 65 HWY, but some of them disapproved on tunnel under the National.

I must have missed that part of article.

I'm pretty sure, they will vote... I just read blogs in News-Leader, they all agreed with it. They were cheering for extra lanes on 65 HWY, but some of them disapproved on tunnel under the National.

I'm still confused about this whole tunnel under National thing. I don't understand if you access it off JRF or National. They say it will go "under National" and connect with the emergency exit. I will say that the Cox South Emergency Entrance Exit is pretty poor access. St. John's beats them by a mile, and in every other category as far as im concerned.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget to vote "YES" on the transportation tax tomorrow (those of you that live in the Springfield city limits). I know that everyone is tired of taxes and cash is strapped, but I also know that everyone that reads this forum wants these cool projects and more get built in Springfield. Investment in infrastructure is important and pays itself off in the long run. Not too mention, sales taxes are good because the cost is shared with people that don't live in Springfield but still use our roads and services. I hope it passes... six-lane US 65; interchange improvements at Kansas and I-44, National and James River, and Campbell and James River; various other intersection improvements, and more!

Don't forget to vote "YES" on the transportation tax tomorrow (those of you that live in the Springfield city limits). I know that everyone is tired of taxes and cash is strapped, but I also know that everyone that reads this forum wants these cool projects and more get built in Springfield. Investment in infrastructure is important and pays itself off in the long run. Not too mention, sales taxes are good because the cost is shared with people that don't live in Springfield but still use our roads and services. I hope it passes... six-lane US 65; interchange improvements at Kansas and I-44, National and James River, and Campbell and James River; various other intersection improvements, and more!

Today, they just voted YES! Hooray for updating Springfield's most congested traffic spots!

• 6 months later...

I just visited the OTO's website and they have a new map of the Regional and Statewide priorities for Springfield. If the Stimulus package is passed they said that they would start the widening of US 65 to six lanes from I-44 to James River Freeway, widen I-44 to six lanes from James River Freeway to 125 in Strafford and many other projects.

Here is the pdf link to the map: http://www.ozarkstransportation.org/Docume...ignificance.pdf

Link to OTO's website: http://www.ozarkstransportation.org/Priorities.html

The News-leader reported that a new Interchange will be built on Hwy. 65 between Battlefield Rd. and James River Freeway. The new interchange will provide access to the new 400 million dollar development on either of Hwy. 65. Construction will begin when Hwy. 65 is widened to 6 lanes in winter 09'-10'.

• 5 months later...

The News-leader reported that a new Interchange will be built on Hwy. 65 between Battlefield Rd. and James River Freeway. The new interchange will provide access to the new 400 million dollar development on either of Hwy. 65. Construction will begin when Hwy. 65 is widened to 6 lanes in winter 09'-10'.

I just heard the news about 6 Lanes between I44 and 60 Hwy, they will start work on it in September.

^Yeah I saw that as well. They moved it up to September from November I think. They said it will be done in the fall of 2010. That should be the same time that the two flyover ramps open up at 60/65 interchange, although the entire interchange wont be done until 2012! Yikes! Just glad to hear 65 is finally getting widened after all the talk.

• 5 years later...

New Battlefield/Hwy65 interchange

Project

• Replace Battlefield Road bridge over Route 65

• Convert interchange to a Diverging Diamond Interchange design, which allows
    Battlefield Road traffic to make “free” left-hand turns onto Route 65

• Build a southbound and a northbound auxiliary lane on Route 65 to connect
    the Sunshine Street and Battlefield Road ramps.

• Install new traffic signal at Battlefield Road and Woodstock Avenue

Construction Schedule:

• November 2014-January 2015
    • Build auxiliary lanes along Route 65 between Sunshine Street and Battlefield Road
  • January 2015-May 2015
    • Replace south half of Battlefield Road bridge over Route 65
    • Convert interchange to Diverging Diamond traffic pattern
    • Raise ramps on south side of interchange to meet higher bridge
    • Improve intersection of Battlefield Road and Woodstock Avenue and install new traffic signal
  • May 2015-August 2015
    • Replace north half of Battlefield Road bridge over Route 65
    • Raise ramps on north side of interchange to meet higher bridge
  • August 2015-September 2015
    • Open Diverging Diamond interchange to two lanes in each direction
    • Build new islands and medians

Completion: September 30, 2015

Project cost: $12.5 million

Battlefield-Road-Route-65-B.gif