Richmond Coffee House

JWCJ

For me since im sure most of you know im a Republican Im going for either Mitt Romney or Fred Thompson. I think Mitt Romney is a good guy. Only thing holding him back is his religion of Mormon I think it is. One thing I would like to add in is that I think that with all the toy recalls lately this is what you get for our factories going to china. What would you rather have innocent toddlers and new borns dieing or us older people dieing from smog and pollution in the air. To me a new born or toddler dieing from led in a toy is sickening.

I

Mclaws- You cant have both its either gonna be one or the other with the way things are in our world today. To hear you say children have better lungs than young adults you sound like a sick man. You really think air pollution is gonna kill someone right away. Evidently your family doesnt come from working in factories and coal mines. My grandfather worked in a coal mine untill he was in his 40's and did just fine back in the 40's and 50's where it was easier to die from pollution than it is now. To be quite honest if we are gonna die from air pollution from the day after tomorrow then we are all pretty much whimps. I dont know if you have been to places like Baltimore and Pittsburgh where there are many chemical facilities and steel mills but when I used to visit pittsburgh and baltimore I could smell chemicals all over the city and it didnt bother me one bit. I think people are idiots when they think oh well that s gonna kill us in the next day or oh we cant do offshore drilling for oil cause its going to harm the ocean and id just rather see oil prices go up. I think people in this day and society are pathetic and dont see the big picture at all. People are purebred idiots and dont have a clue to what the big picture is for us. Instead they just want to make us look dumb. I get sick of people not looking at the big picture and instead seeing half or less than half of the picture and be like oh im satisfied with that.

Drilling off Virginia's coast isn't looking at the big picture... finding sustainable and cost effective alternatives to oil would be a step in the right direction. The big picture includes the environment and preserving the planet for future generations to enjoy just as much as it includes the almighty dollar.

And how can one argue that polluted air isn't a bad thing? I'm sure people in Balitmore or Pittsburgh or wherever are totally supportive of breathing in dirty air. Just because it isn't going to kill you tomorrow doesn't mean it's not horrible for you... not many people aspire to have asthma.

And I do come from a family where members have worked in gritty industrial conditions. My grandfather worked in the Welsh coal mines for years and died of black lung... and I'd like to think he wasn't a wimp or idiot or pathetic or dumb or a purebread idiot.

You all are stupid as crap. You all dont know a thing. If you all think your so smart then just keep ruining the whole world for all of us untill the day of the apocalypse. You really think there are alternatives to fuel. Coupe do you realize that when you look to alternatives to fuel you are putting Oil Companies out of business and that the oil companies will go out of business if we try to switch from oil to another source. You all really think that these types of things will work cause if you do you are a complete moron. You all dont look at what will happen if we do go green. You will put companies out of business and the economy will get worse because of us going green with millions of people loosing jobs. You know I kind of hope the apocalypse does happen soon so that god can recreate the earth and knock out all the people who have nothing but pure stupidity ideas in there head. Like I said before you dont look at the big picture. If you go green your asking for trouble with putting peoples jobs on the line and them eventually loosing there jobs. Coupe your uncle might of not been dumb but you sure sound dumb and so do many people on these sites. People just dont understand anything they like to argue and deny that its not going to harm the country or the economy. Just wait till the whole country goes green and just about every job in our country is lost to other countries because of our stupidity and our mistakes for going green. I must say americans are the dumbest people in the world compaired to other countries. But im glad im not one of those americans and that I realize what will happen if we do go green all the way. It will be a complete disaster and a mistake for what we have done.

Edited by Downtowner

Joey, nothing in that rant is factual. As we continue to create an environmentally friendly economy, jobs are constantly created, coinciding with the loss of the few and far between. Get your facts straight before putting out personal attacks.

Edited by TBurban

Joey, when crafting an argument, you're usually better off using substantive information instead of your main argument being "everyone is stupid and I'm not." Personal attacks aren't nearly as effective...

Oil companies are more than capable of spearheading changes in our energy consumption. Exxon and BP can easily become major "green" energy producers. Companies in any industry need to be able to adapt to changing market conditions, or else they'll fail. Thousands of jobs are being created in "green" related fields every year.

Guys believe it or not but Oil Companies will not carry an environmental product you know why. Here are the reasons

1. If you were to replace oil with a more efficient product you would have to replace the oil tanks underground the gas stations with brand new tanks that have no oil on them. Where there are millions of gas stations in our country.

2. It would require to much government and local legislation for gas stations to be replaced with green products.

3. I dont get how every gas station in the country would even go green theres too many gas stations on this country for our country to go green. It would require too much to go green. People wouldnt be able to get every place in america to have green stations instead of gas stations. Plus oil rigs out in the ocean would have to be demolished and it would cost to much to go green.

4. With all this happening it would just cost way too much to go green with the replacement of everything and with the demolition of oil rigs out in the ocean. Plus im not willing to pay my tax dollars for a bunch of stupidity to go green and for my country to be in worse shape than it already is.

Comre- Don't get smart with me. Because im not one that uses correct grammar unless its for something important. Plus I am a very good speller. Because I dont see anywhere where I spelled anything wrong. So dont get smart with me its just a waste of your time and my time.

Edited by Downtowner

More and more TV documentaries of late are showing us what trapped gasses in our atmosphere are doing to the planet. If it continues unabated coastal cities may be inundated by the oceans in a few generations.

Less use of fosil fuel and greening are most definitely the way to go. American leadership on this issue could convince all the world to take precautionary measures.

Guys believe it or not but Oil Companies will not carry an environmental product you know why. Here are the reasons

1. If you were to replace oil with a more efficient product you would have to replace the oil tanks underground the gas stations with brand new tanks that have no oil on them. Where there are millions of gas stations in our country.

2. It would require to much government and local legislation for gas stations to be replaced with green products.

3. I dont get how every gas station in the country would even go green theres too many gas stations on this country for our country to go green. It would require too much to go green. People wouldnt be able to get every place in america to have green stations instead of gas stations. Plus oil rigs out in the ocean would have to be demolished and it would cost to much to go green.

4. With all this happening it would just cost way too much to go green with the replacement of everything and with the demolition of oil rigs out in the ocean. Plus im not willing to pay my tax dollars for a bunch of stupidity to go green and for my country to be in worse shape than it already is.

Comre- Don't get smart with me. Because im not one that uses correct grammar unless its for something important. Plus I am a very good speller. Because I dont see anywhere where I spelled anything wrong. So dont get smart with me its just a waste of your time and my time.

How many miles of interstate highways do we have? How many billions did it cost? The government can do anything it wants... including wasting billions of a war based on a personal vendetta.

Yeah Cam but the interstates were needed to get to places faster and for more capacity of vehicles. If you all really want to go green thats fine with me but you all will be the ones making the mistakes for going green. You all just dont realize what will happen in the future if we go green. Plus if the whole world goes green whose going to be making our goods like clothes and shoes and other stuff? But I think there is just too much crap to go through for this country to go green. Plus alot of people that started this going green thing was that either they were hippies during the 60's or that there parents were hippies during the 60's and if we want to have another horrible era like the 60's have at it but I wont be in this country when everyone is smoking pot and doing ecstasy and sitting on there rocks talking about stuff that is so pointless. I'll probably be relaxing on a nice island enjoying myself saying I told you so but nope you didint listen. End of discussion

Imagine if we'd continued dumping solid waste into the James. Who'd want to swim in it? Imagine all the pollution and how bad our general health would be without taking care of the planet. We've raped it for centuries and nature has a way of returning the favor in far regrettable ways. There have been many warning signs. Nothing's evil about keeping a clean environment. This planet is our only home for the forseeable future, take care of it. You wouldn't carelessly wreck your own house.

I scoffed at all this go green stuff... and I still blame hippies, some of it goes too far, but it's nothing wrong in the long run.

Going green doesn't mean go do drugs, come on Joey.

Edited by Cadeho

Plus I am a very good speller. Because I dont see anywhere where I spelled anything wrong. So dont get smart with me its just a waste of your time and my time.

I could give you some examples - but you are correct. It is just a waste of time. Rant on... :thumbsup:

Personally I think NBC spending a week of programming to push "go green" is annoying. I don't need Hollywood pushing their political agenda on me. I happen to use some compact flourescents for lighting, so I am not against conservation and saving energy. But I also drive a truck. So what does that make me?

I believe in saving the environment but not to the point of stupidity. I mean some of the going green ideas are way too far fetched especailly with the stuff that al gore says. He once said to build your house out of straw. I said wow you are lame if you want our houses to blow away from us with the wind. I mean some of it I am ok with its just the stupidity ideas that kills me with going green. I think Al Gore needs to leave the going green issue and retire because his ideas are pathetic. If we really want to go green we need someone better than Al Gore. To me he isnt worth five cents with going green.

1. If you were to replace oil with a more efficient product you would have to replace the oil tanks underground the gas stations with brand new tanks that have no oil on them. Where there are millions of gas stations in our country.2. It would require to much government and local legislation for gas stations to be replaced with green products.

Underground tanks get replaced all the time. That's perhaps the worst argument against moving away from oil I've ever heard. Companies will sell whatever makes them money. Today it's oil; tomorrow, it could be hydrogen or deionized water or used cooking grease. Besides, I thought you were the big Republican? Any good Republican knows that there's no reason for government interference in such matters.

I honestly don't get what your point here is (maybe it's because I didn't go to Henrico County schools?). Do you really think reducing our dependence on oil, most of which is controlled by entities who are either borderline or outright hostile towards the US, will leave "your" country in worse shape?

I'm not ComRE, but when you call people stupid for not agreeing with you, don't be surprised when people bite back, especially when you make yourself such an easy target.

Can we just end all this stupid talk. BGW dont even get me started with you now because I was doing fine untill you had act rediculous just now. Everyone just cut the crap out. Especailly you BGW for starting it back up. I said earlier end of discussion. BGW DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT END OF DISCUSSION MEANS!!!!!!!!? Plus your kinda stupid for thinking that the COMRE advice was to you you are pathetic. I never even said your name. It was all to Comre are you like blind or something because if it says its to comre then its to Comre. It was never to you. OMG BGW you ruined everything. God people dont know when to quit.

Edited by Downtowner

I think its safe to say the environmental discussion can be dropped at this point, but I want to add that I enjoyed the heated debate. Sometimes, when people get angry, it makes the reading much more interesting. Kinda like Springer.

The logic's the most funny...

Well you're always working!

I'm trying to support you and our baby!

Well it's me or the job!

Kinda like that.

The logic's the most funny...

Well you're always working!

I'm trying to support you and our baby!

Well it's me or the job!

Kinda like that.

My favorite is Maury Povich. A young 'lady' sits next to Maury, crying because she hasn't found her babydaddy. Maury calls in the first guest, who gets viciously booed by the crowd for denying the child is his. An argument ensues, in which the 'lady' insists to the former suiter that, "you know dis yo baby, step up and be a man". The results of the paternity tests are revealed, and low and behold, he's not the father. He jumps out of his seat in a victory dance, says "yeah, thats right!" in the woman's face and then struts off victoriously. More former beaus are carted out onstage with the same result, sometimes several dozen of them spanning several episodes, before finally the father is found.

Its quite tragic, but I just can't help laughing when I think about how many men the woman slept with without any form of birth control in a two week period. I mean in some cases it has to be at least 2 per day on average, not including repeats. I'm sure some of these situations are fabricated, right?

• 1 month later...

No one has a problem with events being downtown, but as I've said before, it was a few business owners in Carytown that got together and made something happen. It was very organic, hardly sinister. No one took the initiative downtown, and so now it's some evil "West Enders" plot???

Yes. This bunch of people are used to having everything near them and catered to them. They are pampered and more rotten than spoiled children... which ironically they also produce. This event is one more giant feather in their cap as they turn their noses up at the rest of the city once again. Find out where the organizers live. If they are from the West End, I rest my case.

This is delusional. The guy that dreamed this thing up (a native of NOVA but living in Richmond now) bought New York Deli a couple years ago... I couldn't tell you where he lives. RVA Mag co-sponsored this event and its folks are clearly not cut from the stereotypical West End crust you keep referencing...