Richmond Coffee House

JWCJ

Even the Mayor's press secretary acknowledges that his boss mis-spoke. Council, contrary to Wilder's loose lip comments, increased funding for the Police Department each year during Monroe's tenure, including in the new budget.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...05-07-0167.html

Not shocking at all, I think we can all agree that Wilder is a few bagels short of a dozen upstairs...

That being said - I haven't seen anyone else worthy of electing for the Mayor's position, has anyone else seen the same thing?

Anyone working downtown able to witness the State Police and I.N.S. roundup over at the new Federal Courthouse this morning?

Something like 50 illegal aliens were arrested at the new Federal Courthouse after it was surrounded by law enforcement. This happened around 8:30 I hear. Should have been interesting to see from the upper floors of a building nearby.

Anyone working downtown able to witness the State Police and I.N.S. roundup over at the new Federal Courthouse this morning?

Something like 50 illegal aliens were arrested at the new Federal Courthouse after it was surrounded by law enforcement. This happened around 8:30 I hear. Should have been interesting to see from the upper floors of a building nearby.

I hope those agents don't move on The National and RCS and slow down work on those projects.

Not shocking at all, I think we can all agree that Wilder is a few bagels short of a dozen upstairs...

That being said - I haven't seen anyone else worthy of electing for the Mayor's position, has anyone else seen the same thing?

Of those who have announced, I'd go with Jones.

Very funny bagel analogy. :lol:

As far as I can determine, Obama is the only Presidential candidate who has offered more than lip service in support of a high-speed rail network in the US. As he points out, America is the only World power without a speedy rail system.

The Times Dispatch is saying that it was more like 15 people arrested.

Initially, over 50 were being held. As it turns out, 24 men and 9 women were being held for some kind of charges related to illegal activity. Charges include documentation fraud, being in the country illegally and re-entering the country after being deported.

If they had hit this jobsite last year, they would have doubled their catch.

The local news (NBC12) had an interview with a worker at the VAPAC site who said someone yelled "police" and the workers at the fed courthouse scrambled. They were pulling them out of port-o-johns, from under cars, hiding in materials, everywhere.

Today, news comes about that there is some immigrant group that is planning a protest. I can tell you, from working with a legal immigrant, I see the struggle that comes with immigrating to this country legally and the costs associated with it. It is very expensive, income taxes are more oppressive, and the bullcrap that the fed agencies put one through is enough to give you an understanding why illegal exploration is wrong. Illegal explorers should not be able to jump the line like that.

The T-D today stated that it isn't know what tipped authorities off. DUH! It's a freakin' FEDERAL COURTHOUSE under construction. What kind of genius couldn't figure that there would be some federal marshall or other federal authority poking around while this building is being finished, and realized that there were quite a number of latino workers.

Monroe was down here in Charlotte last night for a local community forum with the other 2 finalists for police chief. Apparently his reputation is well known b/c most of the fanfare was with him last night. He already seems to have made a good impression on the local folks. People were very knowledgable of his Richmond success. Should be interesting to see how things transpire over the next few weeks. I honestly don't think our local candidate has much of a chance. If I were a betting man, I'd say Monroe is the favorite. But, I'm sure Richmond council is smart enough to come up with some kind of counter offer/persuasion to try and get him to stay.

Monroe was down here in Charlotte last night for a local community forum with the other 2 finalists for police chief. Apparently his reputation is well known b/c most of the fanfare was with him last night. He already seems to have made a good impression on the local folks. People were very knowledgable of his Richmond success. Should be interesting to see how things transpire over the next few weeks. I honestly don't think our local candidate has much of a chance. If I were a betting man, I'd say Monroe is the favorite. But, I'm sure Richmond council is smart enough to come up with some kind of counter offer/persuasion to try and get him to stay.

Monroe already is paid more in Richmond than Charlotte is offering. He has said that he wants to move on, so it's very likely Richmond will lose him.

As expected, Monroe is going to Charlotte.

Monroe to Charlotte

I fully expect Wilder to start bashing City Council and blaming them for him leaving, but I think this is simply a case of an excellent leader being recognized by another city with a need to fill. It is perfectly understandable why he would jump at the chance to take on a new challenge in a larger city. I am grateful for all he did while here, and wish he would stay, but wish him all the best in Charlotte.

Edited by CommRE

As expected, Monroe is going to Charlotte.

Monroe to Charlotte

I fully expect Wilder to start bashing City Council and blaming them for him leaving, but I think this is simply a case of an excellent leader being recognized by another city with a need to fill. It is perfectly understandable why he would jump at the chance to take on a new challenge in a larger city. I am grateful for all he did while here, and wish he would stay, but wish him all the best in Charlotte.

I'm sure that Richmond will be sad to see Monroe leave. He's done a lot of great things in just 3+ years. Hopefully his Richmond success will carry over down here in Charlotte. So here's to less crime in Charlotte and continued success in Richmond with whoever the new chief may be :good: (I was looking for a beer mug to toast with, but no luck)

Edited by dbull75

What in the hell is happening? For better or worse, many of the leaders that run our city will look much different in the coming year:

The Superintendent of schools, Deborah Jewell-Sherman, will be stepping down

School Board Chairman Braxton is not seeking re-election

Wilder will not be seeking re-election

Chief Monroe is heading to Charlotte

Who's next?

The above four positions are likely THE most important in relation to improving our city. This year may become an even greater crossroads than the switch to an elected mayor. In spite of the turnover, this could become a fantastic opportunity to step up to that next level and turn another page.

What in the hell is happening? For better or worse, many of the leaders that run our city will look much different in the coming year:

Who's next?

The above four positions are likely THE most important in relation to improving our city. This year may become an even greater crossroads than the switch to an elected mayor. In spite of the turnover, this could become a fantastic opportunity to step up to that next level and turn another page.

Just so the rest of the world knows details about the Mayor's departure, I'm posting the inRich breaking news here, Coupe.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...05-16-0247.html

It does make me wonder seeing the top tier of the City's leadership leaving their respective posts. However, I am confident that the overall health of the City will improve. I was not a big fan of the Mayor or the School Superintendent, but hearing of Chief Monroe leaving was heavy on my ears.

I hope someone within the Police Department, who understands Monroe's legacy is hired. This would provide little disruption in term of changes to the way the Department is managed. Therefore keeping morale up and crime down. According to an inrich article, an intern chief will be chosen in-house.

In terms of the Mayor's office, I may not have liked Wilder, but I do like the strong mayor approach. It provides a well rounded checks and balances system within the City Government. IMO it would be the best benefit of the City to continue with a strong mayor system. Thoughts?

I wonder if Wilder's annoucement will cause Pantele to join the race? Thoughts?

Edited by Shakman

Who's next?

I think you should add to your list a few more people:

* 2 other school board members will not be seeking re-election. (The names escape me now. I want to say Mimms and Carr)

* The assistant school superintendent will also be moving on. She is taking a job in Tennessee I believe.

* The future is uncertain for a certain hot-headed driver and manipulative leader of the REA. After playing Kyle Bush on I-95 this week, I wonder if he will have the power to be puppet master to the next school superintendent. I also wonder if he will continue to be a part of the panel that the school board assembled to find a new super.

As a Kenyan friend of mine said yesterday, "The entire empire is collapsing."

With this many open positions to fill in city government, I wonder if this is the dawning of a new day for a brighter Richmond or if this is the tip of the dagger that will tear the heart of this city wide open. Now is the time to closely examine the potential leaders and demand excellence.

With this many open positions to fill in city government, I wonder if this is the dawning of a new day for a brighter Richmond or if this is the tip of the dagger that will tear the heart of this city wide open. Now is the time to closely examine the potential leaders and demand excellence.

I agree that we are coming to an incredibly crucial tipping point.... Which way we'll tip is anyone's guess but I'm hoping it's the start of a new golden era. There's no other choice.

• 2 weeks later...

And I am not boycotting Henrico, although I do think Henricoans can be bowled over by feathers when it concerns their hatred of the city of Richmond as evidenced in many letters to the editor in the Times-Dispatch. Henrico is a county of fools.