Richmond Coffee House

JWCJ

Well I like what VCU does althought I wish they'd spare the carriage houses and leave Oregon Hill alone for development. If they increase the value and worth of houses, that's a good thing. Apparently, the richer our city is, the more things it can have, including a better less-neglected retail center downtown.

I wish there was a way to make the East End less poor and more well to do. I am waiting for the day they do bulldoze all of the public housing complexes and replace them with real housing. A lot of those who live there abuse the system and choose to live that way for generations. Those we need to smoke out because they appear to be beyond help. For those who do use them as a leg up, they'll still be able to do that, just not in a public housing complex. VCU seems to be expanding in the east too with the Jefferson Townhouses. Imagine what their little seed will do to the area? As long as they don't start gobbling up Union Hill with a new campus, it'll be fine, but I can see a better mix of residents and possibly safer streets.

My problem is that, as VCU expands, the property values are increasing and their condition for a large part is staying as complete crap. You can't generalize lower income populations as being predominantly abusers of the system. For example, in Oregon Hill and Carver neighborhoods, there are families that have been there for generations as working class.

I'm all for a better Richmond, but I don't want a wretched college town with bratty college kids that don't respect this city being the most "significant" portion of the population.

Isn't Overlook increasing property values? That project drastically transformed the southern end of Oregon Hill but I've heard amazingly little kvetching about it. In fact, it looks as if it might have spurred some sprucing up of old properties along streets in OH.

There's at least one thing to celebrate: Dominion has not (yet) built a tower on its riverfront property.

By the way, the gazebo and the new viewing platform are really neat.

Isn't Overlook increasing property values? That project drastically transformed the southern end of Oregon Hill but I've heard amazingly little kvetching about it. In fact, it looks as if it might have spurred some sprucing up of old properties along streets in OH.

There's at least one thing to celebrate: Dominion has not (yet) built a tower on its riverfront property.

By the way, the gazebo and the new viewing platform are really neat.

The overlook properties honestly don't seem to have a direct effect on the property values in the rest of Oregon Hill. I was looking at an assessment of the values by location on each of the streets... the Overlook properties are pretty much all $300,000 at the very least, yet the houses across the street are mostly under that price.

I hate the Overlook and many of the newer properties in Oregon Hill though, because they look like they're trying to go for that old urban style that the rest of the neighborhood retrains.... but with the new construction they didn't really seem to try much at all. The properties look so bland

At least the OHHIC houses that are built and restored retain high fidelity to the neighborhood's architectural style.

Is there another type of architecture you'd have preferred for the Overlook?

Certainly. The way Overlook looks now in comparison to the older parts of the neighborhood is like a very plain West End condo... not how the historic Oregon Hill neighborhood should be characterized. I would have loved to see construction comparable to 512.5 and 514 South Pine Street. OHHIC built all new construction that blends in well with the rest of the neighborhood. You can read about it and similar projects in the following link:

http://ohhic.org/projects/512514spine.htm

• 4 weeks later...

The Times Require Cooperation and Vision

1st District Councilman Bruce Tyler's vision for Richmond:

Where do we go from here? If we work to achieve the goals below, Richmond will be a great place to work, live, and play.

- The elimination of public housing as we know it: It can be transformed from large concentrated areas of poverty to select areas of mixed-income housing.

- A school system that is one of the top five school systems in Virginia: We have made great strides -- but more must be done. It is time for Richmond's schools to allow every student the necessary educational opportunities so that they can become productive citizens.

- A tax system that is competitive with the surrounding localities: Our real estate and business taxes should be within 10 percent of the surrounding communities'.

- A city that is one of the top 10 safest urban communities in the United States: Richmond can be a city where police are respected, criminals are prosecuted, and citizens feel they control their neighborhoods.

- A teen pregnancy rate 50 percent below the national average: We need to create a nationally recognized program that takes at-risk children and provides them with the proper support systems.

- A regional authority that funds (capital and operating) expenses for major regional projects: We need to double the number of conventions and tourists visiting our region.

- A vibrant downtown anchored by our premier institutions: Our city needs to double the biotech and medical complexes, increase our commercial stakeholders, and double the number of residents in the downtown area. A city governmental complex in Manchester is an example of a project that could move us in this direction.

- Economic development that capitalizes on the underutilized areas: These areas include Manchester; Scott's Addition; the Intermediate Terminal; Highland Park; and the 25th Street, Jefferson Davis, and Hull Street corridors.

- A city unemployment rate that is equal to the commonwealth's unemployment rate: Richmond currently has one of the highest unemployment rates in the commonwealth.

- A properly maintained storm and sanitary sewer system: Instead of being the largest polluter on the James River we can be one of the top five environmental cities in the nation. We need to invest in environmental systems.

- A properly maintained road system: We are creating long-term debt to maintain our road system. We need a plan that does not require long-term funds for general ongoing maintenance.

Thoughts?

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I'd like to see Bruce Tyler become mayor after Wilder is done. I also hope that Pantele doesn't become mayor cause to me he's to much of a whimp and doesn't seem to step up to the plate with issues in the city and instead only does stuff to his benefit. I think Bruce Tyler has an excellent vision for the city and I would most definitly like to see him become mayor of Richmond. thats my 2 cents.

I know I wouldn't look out for myself It would be my job to look out for the people for there greater good and the city and not myself. People shouldn't benefit themself because thats not what there job is for. Its for them to look after the people of the city and make the city a better place for the people and not for politicians.

Edited by Downtowner

That's the theory of it all, but more often than not personal political aspirations quietly trump what may be truly in the best interests of what is best. Obviously it's much more complex than that though.

In discussing Tyler's ideas... I think they are all good, noble causes, though I wish his transportation goals included multimodal public transit instead of simply road building. The biggest obstacle to achieving those goals is funding. He calls for cutting tax rates sharply while also calling for more spending. Eliminating public housing, funding regional authorities, fighting crime, lowering teen pregnancy and infrastructure improvements don't come without a price tag. Perhaps Wilder's City of the Future money can help?

Starting a dialogue is good, but we need a course of action and actual action if we are to achieve his goals.

That's the theory of it all, but more often than not personal political aspirations quietly trump what may be truly in the best interests of what is best. Obviously it's much more complex than that though.

In discussing Tyler's ideas... I think they are all good, noble causes, though I wish his transportation goals included multimodal public transit instead of simply road building. The biggest obstacle to achieving those goals is funding. He calls for cutting tax rates sharply while also calling for more spending. Eliminating public housing, funding regional authorities, fighting crime, lowering teen pregnancy and infrastructure improvements don't come without a price tag. Perhaps Wilder's City of the Future money can help?

Starting a dialogue is good, but we need a course of action and actual action if we are to achieve his goals.

Eliminating public housing... price tag (in Sim City $1)... just bulldoze through and kill two birds with one stone... it'll help take a dent out of crime.

Teen pregnancy... is this still an issue? I'm sorry Oprah, sew 'em up and give them a straw. Education's not working when they can easily say yes because I LOVE HIM!

Well the infrastructure... I don't think they cut back enough bodyguards from Wilder's posse. I doubt we could ever fix every one of Richmond's streets or water/gas lines etc. Why can't cities win lotteries?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well he was governor, he should know the laws. But Richmond elected a strong mayor to get rid of all the corruption in City Hall and straighten everything out and this is just one of those things he sees needed to be done. Then council is good for nothing. They're the last remnant of the old days and old ways and they should stop fighting. The last thing I'd like to see if a figurehead mayor who's nothing but a yes man. Richmond always wants something, gets it, then complains about it.

Ok so how long will we have to put up with a dictator as a mayor? This image he is portraying is doing nothing but damaging our cities credibility. Even if he has a legitimate gripe, he is ignoring the laws of the land to achieve his goals, and that I will not accept.

I know. It was a real shock that the school board was put out of city hall. Wasn't it?

While we are at it, I just thought I would let you know that I have leased your house to a family of crack-heads for $10 per year. I hope you don't mind.

I know. It was a real shock that the school board was put out of city hall. Wasn't it?

While we are at it, I just thought I would let you know that I have leased your house to a family of crack-heads for $10 per year. I hope you don't mind.

A family of crackheads? Man Gloria Allred is really going to be busy with Britney et al now.

But have they been put out? I thought they were orded back in the building and now there's a big fight about to occur. I wondered if Thursday will be the right time to go to City Hall for a map... or will I be caught in some crossfire?

But have they been put out? I thought they were orded back in the building and now there's a big fight about to occur. I wondered if Thursday will be the right time to go to City Hall for a map... or will I be caught in some crossfire?

From what I could gather about the emergency cease and desist order handed down by Judge Spencer, it was based on "confidential" records being moved by unauthorized persons. The entire basis of the order to put everything back is based on a "blown-out-of-proportion" accusation by King Henry (Marsh) and his platoon of dumbasses.

I predict that the school board(part of the above mentioned platoon) will ultimately have to move. They know it too and if they had any brains, they would have let the Mayor and his crew finish the job. But they are stupid IMO. All I know is that I hope to God that someone runs against Carol Wolf in the 3rd district.

As for the council resolution that gave the school board a lease for $10 a year for 5 entire floors on top of City Hall....well, that is about as legit as someone leasing property that isn't theirs, to a family of crack-heads or anyone else for that matter. The bottom line is that anyone doing business with the City of Richmond knows that it would be beneficial to have DPU in the same building as DPW. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how much money would be saved if ALL city departments could be together. Telephone systems, I.T. systems and janitorial services alone would save the city hundreds of thousands a year. Chris Hilbert stated that if someone would show him the potential savings, that he would personally go up and help pack boxes. To that I say, "Get movin'!"

BTW, is Henrico's School board / Administration in the same building with the rest of the County Government? Just curious.

From what I could gather about the emergency cease and desist order handed down by Judge Spencer, it was based on "confidential" records being moved by unauthorized persons. The entire basis of the order to put everything back is based on a "blown-out-of-proportion" accusation by King Henry (Marsh) and his platoon of dumbasses.

I predict that the school board(part of the above mentioned platoon) will ultimately have to move. They know it too and if they had any brains, they would have let the Mayor and his crew finish the job. But they are stupid IMO. All I know is that I hope to God that someone runs against Carol Wolf in the 3rd district.

As for the council resolution that gave the school board a lease for $10 a year for 5 entire floors on top of City Hall....well, that is about as legit as someone leasing property that isn't theirs, to a family of crack-heads or anyone else for that matter. The bottom line is that anyone doing business with the City of Richmond knows that it would be beneficial to have DPU in the same building as DPW. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how much money would be saved if ALL city departments could be together. Telephone systems, I.T. systems and janitorial services alone would save the city hundreds of thousands a year. Chris Hilbert stated that if someone would show him the potential savings, that he would personally go up and help pack boxes. To that I say, "Get movin'!"

BTW, is Henrico's School board / Administration in the same building with the rest of the County Government? Just curious.

You hinted that you don't believe the confidentiality of the records in question? (I could be wrong, it is the internet afterall). In light of that, I couldnt disagree with you more. If I were a parent or a student, I would be mortified to know that Joe Schmoe Mover got to look at my social security number, my address, my grades, and SOL scores and a host of other information that the school system would have in its central office. No one, and I repeat no one, except for the hired staff of the school department should be packing that place up.

I will not argue that a ten dollar lease is absurd, but that was born out of the financial difficulties the city has born in the recent past. It is an error that can be fixed. I dont see why the school system has to move miles down the road. Build another building within a few blocks and centralize city functions. I dont care if Wilder is heavy-handed, I care if he is carrying a bat to exact some sort of revenge.

To answer your question about Henrico... no is the answer. But they are in the same COMPLEX, which by definition in suburbia is the same thing. The City of Richmond's dynamics are quite different. Centralization is the key to dissemination.

I dont disagree that getting all the cities functions under one roof or within several blocks of each other would save boat loads of money.

Thinking along those lines... why hasnt the mayor offered up the 6th St Marketplace's office space for the school system? It is city property now sitting vacant, and wouldnt that allow the small stores and restuarants to come back? Am I missing something here? Does Wilder have yet another hidden agenda with this property?

I don't doubt that the records are confidential. However, where is this great concern when the cleaning crew comes in to empty the trash cans every night. Are you mortified at the prospect that some Maria Garcia cleaning woman can get a glimpse of social security numbers? Why is that crap laying around unsecured anyway? As for the movers, I believe there was enough media on location to record every single swingin' johnson that touched a box. If something goes wrong, just call channel 6. They probably have hundreds of hours worth of video to review.

As for Wilder carrying a bat, do you remember the movie "Walking Tall"? I wish Wilder would start carrying a bat, broom, nightstick or something.

I could see the logic behind the school board remaining in city hall IF they shared phone systems, computer servers, etc.. But the simple fact is that they refuse to. They have their own phone systems, their own cleaning contracts, computer I.T. department and servers. They also run their own health insurance. Now that's what I call cooperation! Any simple fool knows that the best deal would result if they would consolidate services, yet they refuse. Since they desire to fly solo, I believe they should get a little shove from the nest.

As for the city forfieting any additonal property to the school board, I would have to disagree. I believe they should use one of the buildings like the Patrick Henry school or maybe they should take over the Model Tobacco building where DPU is currently located. That way, they would be just down the street from their beloved school busses.

I don't doubt that the records are confidential. However, where is this great concern when the cleaning crew comes in to empty the trash cans every night. Are you mortified at the prospect that some Maria Garcia cleaning woman can get a glimpse of social security numbers? Why is that crap laying around unsecured anyway? As for the movers, I believe there was enough media on location to record every single swingin' johnson that touched a box. If something goes wrong, just call channel 6. They probably have hundreds of hours worth of video to review.

As for Wilder carrying a bat, do you remember the movie "Walking Tall"? I wish Wilder would start carrying a bat, broom, nightstick or something.

I could see the logic behind the school board remaining in city hall IF they shared phone systems, computer servers, etc.. But the simple fact is that they refuse to. They have their own phone systems, their own cleaning contracts, computer I.T. department and servers. They also run their own health insurance. Now that's what I call cooperation! Any simple fool knows that the best deal would result if they would consolidate services, yet they refuse. Since they desire to fly solo, I believe they should get a little shove from the nest.

As for the city forfieting any additonal property to the school board, I would have to disagree. I believe they should use one of the buildings like the Patrick Henry school or maybe they should take over the Model Tobacco building where DPU is currently located. That way, they would be just down the street from their beloved school busses.

I may be wrong as I have not been watching the events as tight as I should have but I thought the Mayor had notified the school board ( That I don't think should be in city hall ) that they needed to move by a specific date. Seems he kept his word and the School Board thought they didn't need to listen or thought they couldn't be told what to do.

I thing city services al things being City items should be in the Hall. The school board I think would be more effective in a place of their own and surly there is property that is owned by the city currently not being used that would suffice their needs.

I also like what Mayo Wilder has done, I used to watch the councel meetings because of all of the crazies, now I watch to see whats taking place in my home town.

Jon, I think a place of their own, as well as other scattered city offices, should be in a "mini city hall" set up in Jemal's Central National Tower on Broad at 3rd. It would be preferable to spending hundreds of thousands on the old Seaboard buiding on West Broad and would keep them downtown under the watchful eye of the Emperor in his tower down the street.

How are you coming along with preparations for the New City Master Plan session?

I'm not really taking sides on this because I haven't kept a close eye on the events, but I have hunch that the Mayor is right in this case. The only problem is that it is being played out in the media as a circus act! It's ridiculous that the fighting can't be done behind closed doors...this negative attention has got to be killing Richmond's image! No wonder businesses don't want to move downtown - they don't want to get involved in the "circus"! Perhaps construction hasn't started on the new MWV headquarters because they are having second thoughts after discovering how downtown Richmond TRUELY is. It's all just a shame and embarrasses me as one who claims Richmond as my home.

Burt, I imagine the Central National Bank building will require rents that are above what the school system can/should pay, and I don't foresee Douglas Development selling the property to the city.

Man, this whole thing just makes my head hurt. This debacle seriously needs to be resolved once and for all. Both sides have been in the wrong here and there, but in the end I think the mayor is right even if his execution is a little... crazy. City services should be consolidated under one roof at City Hall... it makes little sense for departments to be scattered all over the city. They should all be convenient to city residents, and consolidating them in city hall or adjacent buildings makes the most sense. The School System is a quasi-local government function in that they operate independently of the city but the city government holds the purse strings. I see less importance in the school offices being in City Hall than a city agency. The School Administration needs to move out.

The mayor has repeatedly given notice to the schools that they need to move out, and as each deadline passes, the schools remain. What we are witnessing currently is really a sorting out of authority/power under the new strong mayor system. It may seem like dysfunction, but it takes time to work kinks out and to establish the boundaries of power each branch of government possesses. Does the mayor have the authority to say who can have their offices in City Hall.. or does Council? We'll find out soon enough. Much of this is intensified by the recent change in governance.

The citizens of Richmond voted for a change in governance from city manager to a strong mayor. I think we're better off with a strong mayor and we'll be better off having had Wilder in office even with all the drama. The worst thing that could happen is to have Wilder replaced with a good ole' boy yes man. We need someone assertive like Wilder, but someone who can get the same job done without being as abrasive and divisive. This city is chocked full of potential and we need to do more to realize that potential. We need a visionary mayor and a visionary council to take Richmond to the next level. Where are all the good civic leaders these days?

-----------------

I'm not really taking sides on this because I haven't kept a close eye on the events, but I have hunch that the Mayor is right in this case. The only problem is that it is being played out in the media as a circus act! It's ridiculous that the fighting can't be done behind closed doors...this negative attention has got to be killing Richmond's image! No wonder businesses don't want to move downtown - they don't want to get involved in the "circus"! Perhaps construction hasn't started on the new MWV headquarters because they are having second thoughts after discovering how downtown Richmond TRUELY is. It's all just a shame and embarrasses me as one who claims Richmond as my home.

From RyanR at RCW regarding Meadwestvaco:

The POD for the building has not been approved. I believe the architect/engineers are still in the process of finishing up the plans.

The POD for the site preperation has been approved however.

Having government drama out in the open like this certainly isn't good from an economic development standpoint... notice how Greg Wingfield of the Greater Richmond Partnershipwas quiet in the article about it today? Still, I think your getting caught up in the sensationalism as much as the media. Many people didn't want to do business in the city before any of this in the first place because of dealing with a dysfunctional city hall. Under Wilder, city agencies have become more responsive and customer service has improved because for the first time in decades accountability has been demanded. Things will settle down and when they do, Richmond will be a better place.

Edited by wrldcoupe4