Richmond Coffee House

JWCJ

Let it be delusional, but the day when the West End doesn't get whatever it wants or whatever moved closer to them, will I be able not to think of there being favoritism. I'm glad the idea of moving City Hall westward was just an idea... but they got the Children's Museum out of downtown and just about every shop there to move or go out of business. With few exceptions will I be able to trust a West Ender. I saw the attitude while I went to school there and it has not changed.

The NY Deli owner could come from the far reaches of Siberia, he operates a West End store that caters mainly to West Enders and this event is a West End event, not Richmond's. He got sponsorship from several places including channel 8 which originally was from Petersburg... so sponsorship can come from anywhere, but the idea and the support from the public, mainly from the I'm-Better-Than-You West End.

Edited by Cadeho

Wow cam you need some help. Why do you care so much about the west enders and what they do? Worry about yourself, even though I hate some of the women in the west end because there so oblivious I still hate it when people see the west end like this. People like you cam piss me off so much cause not everyone in the west end is like this. hell I bet I go downtown more and then alot of people in the west end. The West End might have its share of stuck up people but not everyone is that way on this side of town. You got your head in the wrong places. Worry about your end of town and i'll worry about mine. But I get so sick of people talking crap about my end of town just because of the way some people act. Believe me im in no way like this but I still might be a little shy when meeting someone new. For you to call this a west end even is rediculous. It just happened to be a guy that resides on the west end part of town. Its nothing stereotypical. You need to get over stereotypes and go on with your life and not worry about it. What if I was to worry about the east end all the time saying that they are coming back to life with all these projects on the east end, or if I was to say they have to many poor people on that side of town. Just go along with your own life and stop worrying about stereotypes because most of the time its all unreal.

I didn't go to Carytown as I was home listening to the wonderful sound of automatic weapon's fire, but I did get an update from a few friends that did go.

One friend said he saw someone get stabbed with a glass bottle right in front of him. That explains why the police threatened Black Cash with arrest if they didn't stop playing immediately.

Another friend said that they observed hundreds of people heading to Carytown on foot, carrying cases of alcohol. :alc: The aftermath was nothing short of Mardi Gras according to yet another report. Glass covered the street (Cary) from Dooley to the Boulevard.

If this event ever has any hopes of surviving, the RPD, DPW and someone like Downtown Presents or someone, will need to get their asses in gear. From what I gathered, it's a miracle that someone didn't get killed at this thing.

Yeah people are just stupid now and cant control themselves therefore the government has to take necessary action so assholes dont cause the carytown NYE to be banned in Richmond. Wow dont you love people nowadays. I wish we would be more classy like we were in the early 1900's. Why do people like to ruin everything? Before you know it someone is gonna get killed at the NYE causing them to shut down the NYE party if the city government doesnt take action. If I was in charge of getting it in to gear id say no booze allowed in the party and no glass bottles allowed either and I would have people wanding people before they go into the NYE Party. I would have the whole event secured from each direction people come in and have cops wanding you when you come in and have cops on the lookout when you come out of the NYE Party. I would look for anyone getting in fights,people drunk or even accidents on the road when you get out of the event. Once you were out of reach of the NYE event you would be on your own on getting home. If I saw someone drunk id hold onto them and say im getting you a cab. This is something I would love to take control of to make safe and fun for all ages. Because people are that stupid nowadays untill you have to keep a constant watch on them becuase alot of grown people still act like a little child. Therefore have to have a babysitter to watch after them when they leave the NYE Party.

Edited by Downtowner

Wow cam you need some help. Why do you care so much about the west enders and what they do? Worry about yourself, even though I hate some of the women in the west end because there so oblivious I still hate it when people see the west end like this. People like you cam piss me off so much cause not everyone in the west end is like this. hell I bet I go downtown more and then alot of people in the west end. The West End might have its share of stuck up people but not everyone is that way on this side of town. You got your head in the wrong places. Worry about your end of town and i'll worry about mine. But I get so sick of people talking crap about my end of town just because of the way some people act. Believe me im in no way like this but I still might be a little shy when meeting someone new. For you to call this a west end even is rediculous. It just happened to be a guy that resides on the west end part of town. Its nothing stereotypical. You need to get over stereotypes and go on with your life and not worry about it. What if I was to worry about the east end all the time saying that they are coming back to life with all these projects on the east end, or if I was to say they have to many poor people on that side of town. Just go along with your own life and stop worrying about stereotypes because most of the time its all unreal.

What profound words Joey. I assure you I'm not worried.

• 3 months later...

We all know a couple years ago, the Bottom would probably have flooded from the recent rains....

And Journi... I say why not throw your hat in the ring... or why not City Council if you could bear it? You could walk to meetings at City Hall!

I am relocating to other parts of the city soon... So I will do that for the next election most likely... more concentrated on my licensure at the moment... campaigning would be too distracting!!!

But... overall... it is coming!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as if Rodney Monroe will be saying goodbye to Richmond in order to take over the Charlotte Police Department. See stories yesterday and today in the RTD.

Not good timing for Mr. Wilder if he is planning to announce for a second Mayoral term, IMO.

Edited by burt

I urge everyone to contact Council and the Mayor and urge them to do whatever it takes to keep Monroe here. Though the system that has brought us so much success would still be in place if he leaves, it would still strike a blow to the morale of the City if we lose him. On the other hand keeping him from going to a larger city would be a boost for Richmond.

The article says that he is a finalist for the postion in Charlotte. There are other finalist as well.

If he goes, first Charlotte takes Sovreign Bank and now Chief Monroe.

It's a shame that the Braves aren't moving there, too....then we could just say they are trying to reconstruct Richmond down there.

Well, first of all, Charlotte isn't trying to "recontruct" Richmond and we're not out to steal anything... I've lived there and know the mess that Wilder has created. I think Monroe has been one of the few feathers that Wilder can put in his hat. I would gather that Monroe's openess to look at another opportunity would be because 1) he's tired of City Council short changing him or 2) he wants a different challenge. I would gather it's probably mostly #2 and from what I heard he's not interested in the money. Charlotte has had spikes in several areas of crime over the last few years, due in large part to the population growth. A lot of people here are sick of hearing about it (myself included) and city council is tired of it as well. You should be happy that someone else sees the success Monroe has had in Richmond. It speaks volumes of his work. IF, he ends up getting the job down here, I'm sure he has a good system in place for the next Chief to come in. Trust me, I would much rather have someone from Richmond come here and fix things then give the job to someone from Atlanta any day of the week.

Well, first of all, Charlotte isn't trying to "recontruct" Richmond and we're not out to steal anything...

Easy there, buddy.... No need to get defensive. Reread my comment -- and come to think of it, no one said anything about "stealing".

Besides, Charlotte wants Monroe and Richmond wants to keep him. It sounds like it's good all around that there's a candidate worth both cities getting all googly-eyed over. :)

Easy there, buddy.... No need to get defensive. Reread my comment -- and come to think of it, no one said anything about "stealing".

Besides, Charlotte wants Monroe and Richmond wants to keep him. It sounds like it's good all around that there's a candidate worth both cities getting all googly-eyed over. :)

Then again...maybe you're not being as defensive as I read into your comment. That's the drawback to text -- the context of a comment is easy to misunderstand.

I would hope that Monroe would stay instead of departing prematurely for any other city.. I could care less if it was Charlotte. He's made incredible strides in just 3 years: crime is plummeting, morale is high on the force, the citizens are involved like never before, etc etc etc. Still, I don't think his work is done in Richmond and I don't think he's accomplished everything he planned, and I'm not blaming that on Wilder or Council. It's because it's only been 3 short years. He needs more time to create a legacy and to instill permanence in the trends we are seeing. This would be a bigger blow to us than losing the R-Braves, easily.

Like Ric75 said, we should be contacting anyone and everyone urging them to do whatever it takes to keep Chief Monroe in Richmond.

Then again...maybe you're not being as defensive as I read into your comment. That's the drawback to text -- the context of a comment is easy to misunderstand.

You're right... Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to be harsh. Like you said, disadvantage of the Internet :)