Norwich - Ponemah Mill Renovation

damus

I figured since there was an update on the project in today's New London Day, I'd start up a thread on it..

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.d.../506170301/1002

These mills were at one time the largest textile mill complex in the country, but have become an eyesore. The biggest Mill in the complex, Mill 1, is still owned and used by a furniture company, the Helikon Furniture Co. The developers have reached an agreement with this Helikon and will being construction while the furniture company looks for a place to relocate. Though the area around the mills is still slummy, this project should do a lot to make the Taftville section of Norwich more attractive.

Here's more info grabbed from the Norwich Bulletin article above discussing the specifics of the project:

- 239 luxury apartments, ranging from 1,000 to 1,800 square feet. One-, two- and three-bedroom units will be available, some with loft rooms, many with river views.

- About 12 office/retail spaces will be available, offering two levels of space for home-based professionals.

- 400 parking spaces will be created, some built on terraced levels into the side of the road in front of the mill.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=c976027a-...d5-b07de8f40795

They will now build more units than previously proposed, from 239 to 302. These will be luxury apartments (I say they'll go for the condo market eventually).

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a massive condo project underway across the street from the mills. Taftville has a long way to go, that's for sure. Hopefully these projects will help to revitalize the borough's main street. It's been a depressed area of the city for years.

There is a massive condo project underway across the street from the mills. Taftville has a long way to go, that's for sure. Hopefully these projects will help to revitalize the borough's main street. It's been a depressed area of the city for years.

Really? I haven't heard of this project.

If Utopia is built and it's as big as they say it'll be (more visitors per day than Disney World), Norwich should capitalize on the boom. Hopefully they'll be very careful with the last remaining large tracts of land. I think taking advantage Shetucket River's proximity to Taftville by creating a waterfront park a la downtown Providence would really help make Taftville a desirable place to live.

Realistically, I think the city would target Taftville pretty late. Laurel Hill and Thamesville's proximity to downtown and the Sun/Utopia make those areas the top targets for revitalization. I also think downtown needs a lot of work, then there's Greenville. You never know, with all the development Norwich could regain its former glory and become a northern Orlando. Of course, Norwich shouldn't get rid of Norwichtown or any of the great historical mansions, but there are tons of neighborhoods that it could go without. Worst case if Utopia is successful, New London County becomes a large suburban-style wasteland. Without good leadership in the city, we're doomed to see something more like the latter happen.

nice pics ... it's hard to capture that enormous complex in one shot .... perhaps this weekend I'll go see if I can see it from atop a hill nearby my house. If I can I'll be sure to post pics, but I'm not going to be too hopeful. I know during the summer when all the leaves are out I can still see some of the tenaments in Taftville from about halfway up the hill.

• 10 months later...

Passed by there today, the mill hasn't started the conversion yet, but as far as I know it is still a go. The large condo project has been moving S.......L.........O..........W. They've only finished the first FOUR units, and are not even halfway through the second four. I don't know if they had money issues or not. The northern area of Norwich is the last undeveloped section of the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am in the process of researching the history of the Ponemah Mills and came across this site after a search.

I do have much trusted sources...the libraries, and sources from the web.

My question is, and only for those who are interested in this...Were there any fatalities that occured during the construction of the mill, or any documented while the mill was operational?

I have been unable to confirm or deny and would appreciate any information forthcoming.

Thank you,

K.P. Rankowitz

News Corrrespondent

Freelance Writer.

• 11 months later...

No idea about deaths or any of that.

But I wanted to bring this back to the top as its been a year, and there has been no update. Is this happening? I love these buildings and want to know if anyone has any news. Maybe Lowerdeck does? anyone?

There is so much happening in SE CT but its like they have yet to develope the internet

I was there around Christmastime. There was a problem with a frozen pipe that burst and flooded the building, huge sheets of ice inside and out. As far as redevelopment goes, I wouldn't hold your breath, it looks basically the same as it did two years ago, I haven't been inside, but one can only assume that progress is SLOW as usual.

Archived