IC Goes to Nashville: PART THREE

ironchapman

IC Visits the Hermitage!

Here is my latest, if delayed, photo thread of my trip to Nashville I took recently.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was my visit to the Hermitage, the home of the 7th US President, Andrew Jackson.

I don't know how much this has to do with urbanity, but it's still an important part of Nashville.

The Hermitage Plantation House

From the Front

--That group of kids on the bench is a group of elementary school kids who were visiting on a field trip.

125885569_7437a3b15f_b.jpg

From Behind

125861341_a1f68bb5a6_b.jpg

Presidential Pipes

125885568_a0a02d17a3_b.jpg

-------------------

The Cabins

A Slave Cabin

125861343_f80892d11f_b.jpg

Cabin by the Spring

125867922_a148b5da79_b.jpg

The Plantation Grounds

125867921_fd179dd30a_b.jpg

"Oreo" Cows

125861344_59e94fe9e5_b.jpg

--------------------

The Family Cemetery and Gardens Nearby

The Hermitage Gardens

125867923_4d4a714414_b.jpg

The Burial Site

125877182_3d116c21d0_b.jpg

125877181_6161743f58_b.jpg

125885567_78bb8797c6_b.jpg

Here Lies Andrew Jackson......

--I wish I could have gotten closer to see what was inscribed on the tombstone, but a protective fence was placed around the gazebo.

125877180_9b9ef397c9_b.jpg

--The kids in this picture are young elementary schoolers on a field trip.

125877183_e14a7d0771_b.jpg

The Family Graves

--Where the rest of the Jackson family is buried.

125877184_decb47eb8a_b.jpg

The Guide to the Graves

--For an easier look at the names, the larger version of the picture can be found here (2304 x 1728 pixels)

125877185_deab722487_b.jpg

And that concludes this installment.

What do you guys think? :)

And Don't Forget to Visit My Other Nashville Threads!

PART ONE: The Tennessee State Capitol

PART TWO: Skylines

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.thehermitage.com/hermtg_history...ces/content.htm

I suggest a trip, it's a beautiful place. Besides, in 1998, we came perilously close to losing the estate. The tornado took out, if I remember correctly, almost 1,300 trees, many of those ordered planted by the General, 175 years ago, and many older than that.

It's a good field trip.

I think it would be stupid to wipe any/every symbol of slavery off the face of the earth. I still remember as a kid when I went to Stone Mountain and saw the slave quarters there and suddenly feeling (for the first time) sadness for their conditions.

In his day slavery was legal which does not make it right. In biblical days slavery was legal but a master was told not to mistreat his slaves. The thought of destroying a beautiful building because the person who owned it, is a little crazy. We need reminders of our past in order to never let it happen again. Would you be in favor of tearing down Auschwich and forgetting the Holocaust. Buildings such as the Hermitage are an important part of history and if we tore it down for that reason then many buildings in the USA would have to come down as well such as Montecillo and even Mt. Vernon. Not trying to be hard on you because I understand your anger because I get that way myself.

Since he supported slavery, one can only wish for another devastating tornado to wipe out the entire plantation.

While there's no way to prove this, but I would imagine that had YOU lived during Jackson's time in Tennessee and been a large land owner as he was, you would have supported slavery as well. After all, it was accepted as the norm and was legal. There is no way you or I can fully understand the way things were then. It was a totally different time. I would imagine that you are quite a bit younger than me. When I grew up, segregation in the South was widely accepted as perfectly OK. Was that the correct view? Absolutely not. I was young, but I assumed that there was nothing wrong with it either. Today, I see that segregation was wrong, very wrong. But it took great leaders all over this nation to right that wrong over the violent objections of many.

Although I don't agree with the plantation being wiped out by a tornado, is there anything at the Hermitage that even recognizes the contributions of the slaves there or even mentions anything about slavery? It's not quite the same as tearing down and forgetting Auschwitz, IMO.

Archived