Stores in 1980's/1990's

Sparkledude85

I had recently been reading about many of the stores we used to have back in the day and thought about Uptons, Kmart (which is still around in places), Rose's (also still around in few places), Sky City, Brendle's, Phar-Mor, and Waccamaw Pottery/Foothills Factory Shops. I also remember an old department store on Pine Street next to the hospital and across from Wade's/Pinewood Shopping Center. I remember picking up some dog shampoo here...but the name of this place escapes me. It was in the parking lot where Spartanburg Regional's helicopter now sits.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was some hardware store where the Pinewood Resource Center is today (in that building). That was before my time though.

Wade's used to be on S Pine accross from that plant/warehouse thing. I always enjoyed the old Monterrey's in Hillcrest much better than their new building that sits directly infront of it.

One big one was Community Cash. Those things were everywhere. If you know what you're looking for you can see their buildings all over. There was one where Arby's sits today (I think) that was later converted into Express Music. Tne on Union, Hillcrest (Marshalls today). etc. You can also spot the old Ingles stores and old Winn Dixie stores (with the shingles- ick) all over the place.

Some of this was before my time... but Sears used to be where the County Admin offices are today, and Belks used to be on Main and Church (you can still see the "Belk Hudson" painted on the brick of the Palmetto building. That was pre Hillcrest Mall. Then there was Hillcrest Mall. I have fond memories of that place (namely Flicker's) and the Belks that was there. Ivey's (later Dillards).... ah the memories. I have always found it interesting to know what used to be where, and where those things are today (if they still exist).

Aug W. Smith Company was a Spartanburg shopping institution for decades before it closed in the late 70's. They occupied the building that now houses Bishop Furniture on East Main Street. Smith's was the "Dillards" of their day.

Smith's days were numbered when Westgate opened in '75. Shoppers preferred the convenience and the newness of the mall even though the downtown store was quite nice.

Other retailers long gone from Spartanburg include Greenwalds (mens clothier), The Leader (discount department store), and Meyers-Arnold (mid-range department store). Still around are Prices (mens clothier on Main Street since 1904) and Carolina Cash (Main Street and a branch location on Union Street).

Also long gone from the Spartanburg retailing scene is the Village Shopping Center on Reidville Road. During it's heyday the Village included a JM Fields department store and an A&P supermarket.

There was some hardware store where the Pinewood Resource Center is today (in that building). That was before my time though.

Wade's used to be on S Pine accross from that plant/warehouse thing. I always enjoyed the old Monterrey's in Hillcrest much better than their new building that sits directly infront of it.

One big one was Community Cash. Those things were everywhere. If you know what you're looking for you can see their buildings all over. There was one where Arby's sits today (I think) that was later converted into Express Music. Tne on Union, Hillcrest (Marshalls today). etc. You can also spot the old Ingles stores and old Winn Dixie stores (with the shingles- ick) all over the place.

Some of this was before my time... but Sears used to be where the County Admin offices are today, and Belks used to be on Main and Church (you can still see the "Belk Hudson" painted on the brick of the Palmetto building. That was pre Hillcrest Mall. Then there was Hillcrest Mall. I have fond memories of that place (namely Flicker's) and the Belks that was there. Ivey's (later Dillards).... ah the memories. I have always found it interesting to know what used to be where, and where those things are today (if they still exist).

The building the Pinewood Resource Center now occupies opened in 1970 as the W-A Family Center, Western Auto's short-lived version of a K-Mart. The store didn't last too long. I always believed that access to and from Pine Street was so complicated that most shoppers simply avoided it and drove to the nearby K-Mart and Sky City discount department stores. After the W-A's demise it reverted to something else (I can't recall the name) before finally becoming part of the Spartanburg Regional complex.

The building the Pinewood Resource Center now occupies opened in 1970 as the W-A Family Center, Western Auto's short-lived version of a K-Mart. The store didn't last too long. I always believed that access to and from Pine Street was so complicated that most shoppers simply avoided it and drove to the nearby K-Mart and Sky City discount department stores. After the W-A's demise it reverted to something else (I can't recall the name) before finally becoming part of the Spartanburg Regional complex.

Yes, I thought the store started with a "W"...did this store (not lasting too long) last into the late 80's/early 90's? I was born in 1985.

Also, in response to the person who posted about Flicker's, yes, that was an enjoyable experience for me when I visited the Hillcrest Mall (as well as Jolly Time/Time Out in WestGate Mall). Also I remember about Hillcrest is their food court, which had a Corn Dog 7, a Chick-Fil-A, a Taco Bell, a Sbarro, and there was this buffet/cafeteria-style place that I had some meats and threes from one time but I cannot recall the name of it. IIRC there was a Baskin-Robbins in Hillcrest Mall (as well as Westgate) through the late 80's/early 90's. Also, speaking of arcades and food courts, did Foothills Factory Stores/Outlet Park have one, and if they did, what was their arcade called and what did their food court have (as well as other food places)?

I'm also remembering this other pizza place on Asheville Hwy (between Heron Circle and Cleveland Park/downtown) which had pinball machines in it...did Pizza Hut or Pizza Inn once have pinball machines, or was there another sit-down pizza place that had these? If there was I'd love to know the name of it.

Thanks a bunch!

Yes, I thought the store started with a "W"...did this store (not lasting too long) last into the late 80's/early 90's? I was born in 1985.

Also, in response to the person who posted about Flicker's, yes, that was an enjoyable experience for me when I visited the Hillcrest Mall (as well as Jolly Time/Time Out in WestGate Mall). Also I remember about Hillcrest is their food court, which had a Corn Dog 7, a Chick-Fil-A, a Taco Bell, a Sbarro, and there was this buffet/cafeteria-style place that I had some meats and threes from one time but I cannot recall the name of it. IIRC there was a Baskin-Robbins in Hillcrest Mall (as well as Westgate) through the late 80's/early 90's. Also, speaking of arcades and food courts, did Foothills Factory Stores/Outlet Park have one, and if they did, what was their arcade called and what did their food court have (as well as other food places)?

I'm also remembering this other pizza place on Asheville Hwy (between Heron Circle and Cleveland Park/downtown) which had pinball machines in it...did Pizza Hut or Pizza Inn once have pinball machines, or was there another sit-down pizza place that had these? If there was I'd love to know the name of it.

Thanks a bunch!

I don't think the W-A lasted more than a couple of years until it was superceded by another store. I did not live in Spartanburg from '83-'99 so I have no idea what was in there during that time period.

I worked at Waccamaw while I was in high school--at The Fudgery--a little kiosk in the middle of the mall that sold frozen yogurt. We had a blast...a lot of folks at my high school (boiling springs) worked there--all the girls worked in different stores...all the guys were buggy boys...ahh...the memories.

Do y'all remember Continental Cafe at Hillcrest? Late 80's, early 90's...go out there on Wednesday night get $0.75 Natural Lights and then everyone would head over to Dawg Gone. And Wild Wings was where Monterrey's East is now for awhile...

And the video store at Westgate was The Land of Oz...wasn't it...it had stone all around the entrance. I just remember playing Q-bert there. There was a record store next door...Record Bar.

Geez...time flies and things change so fast...

This is a great thread though...I forgot about so many of these places!

:-) t

Hillcrest Mall would make a good candidate for a deadmalls.com entry; that mall was sad, with the '70s (?) interior and sluggish anchors. I remember the Corn Dog 7. Was that mall ever a thriving mall?

Wasn't the Leader owned by Belk's? When did it close? I remember shopping there. Kind of like a TJ Maxx, but old.

I have thought about sending deadmalls some info on Hillcrest, but I don't know anything about its origins. When did it start, what was there?

While most of the mall's history is before my time (i only went there during its latter years) I get the impression that it used to be a thriving mall, but over time Westgate beat it out because Spartanburg's growth patterns shifted from the east to the west. I can remember it slowly dying over the years, and not having any stores to speak of inside.

It closed around 1995-96. It sat vacant for a while, then they tore most of it down to build a Kmart and Publix. The shops between Steinmart and Publix are all that is left of the original structure (Sun King, Radio Shack, Taco Dog, etc).

It would be a great tale for deadmalls if we could get its story together.

I find it interesting that some 10 years later, most maps of Spartanburg still have Hillcrest Mall as a shopping area when the Mall is not actually there anymore.

I remember that Jim Wilson & Associates owned the mall at one point. I remember it in the mid- to late-1980s- not thriving; somewhat lethargic, although still had a deteriorating Belk's and Ivey's and typical mall stores (the Avenue, a bookstore (Waldenbooks?), some vacancies).

Looked like a '70s mall, but I don't know when it was built. Maybe at least one anchor was there or the strip mall part was there first (no, not the current strip mall development) and then the mall part was added? Not sure.

I remember that Jim Wilson & Associates owned the mall at one point. I remember it in the mid- to late-1980s- not thriving; somewhat lethargic, although still had a deteriorating Belk's and Ivey's and typical mall stores (the Avenue, a bookstore (Waldenbooks?), some vacancies).

Looked like a '70s mall, but I don't know when it was built. Maybe at least one anchor was there or the strip mall part was there first (no, not the current strip mall development) and then the mall part was added? Not sure.

Hillcrest Mall was contructed in 1982-1983. Belk, Ivey's, and Morrison's Cafeteria anchored the mall. The mall was almost completely leased during it's heyday in the mid to late 1980's. I recall visiting the mall and finding it quite busy.

Several factors led to the mall's demise. Some of the small retailers closed. Then Belk decided to expand their Westgate store and close the Hillcrest operation which was a bit on the small side anyway. Ivey's hung on until they too closed.

Fortunately, a local developer redeveloped the site and anchored it with a Publix and K-Mart. K-Mart closed but several national retailers moved in.

The Hillcrest area benefits from relatively high incomes, easy access to downtown, and a good mix of retail. It could be stronger with better access to I-85.

• 4 weeks later...

Several factors led to the mall's demise. Some of the small retailers closed. Then Belk decided to expand their Westgate store and close the Hillcrest operation which was a bit on the small side anyway. Ivey's hung on until they too closed.

If I remember correctly...the original Belk's closed, then Belk bought out Ivey's and continued to operate the old Ivey's as a Belk until the mall completely closed. I may be wrong though, I was rather young when all that was happening.

If I remember correctly...the original Belk's closed, then Belk bought out Ivey's and continued to operate the old Ivey's as a Belk until the mall completely closed. I may be wrong though, I was rather young when all that was happening.

No, Dillard's took over the Ivey's location at Hillcrest.

• 3 years later...

I'm sorry about replying to a 3-year-old thread for my first post to these forums. I've lurked here for a while and found this thread and felt inclined to join and post. I love reminiscing about old places in Spartanburg.

The hardware store in the Pinewood Building across from Wades in the early 80s was Handy City. It was the Home Depot of the time.

I grew up on the east side going to Hillcrest Mall. Loved Corn Dog 7 and their lemonade. At some point after the Continental Cafe, that restaurant was called Rasberrys. I went on several dates there in high school. Before that, I'd hang out at Diamond Jim's, the arcade. I think I still have a token for that arcade somewhere.

Anyone remember Kiddie Korner on the "downtown" mall? My mom would drag me there to by clothes.

Anyone remember a short-lived restaurant on East Main where Hollywood Video used to be called Sneakers?

Many gas stations on that stretch of East Main are gone now. There used to be an Exxon at the corner of Fernwood and East Main that had a "real" carwash. I loved watching our station wagon go through that machine as a kid. Later they tore down the carwash and added an Arby's inside the Exxon. Now it's a Walgreens. There was a Citgo where CVS is now. The building that Quizno's now occupies was a Texaco.

The building that now houses Boston Pizzaria was a Krystal at one point, and an Arby's (with the lighted side that looked like a big hat) and chinese restaurant. Then it was empty for a LONG time. And we used to have a Red Lobster on the east side, I'm not sure I really miss it. Again replaced by a drugstore (Ekerd or whatever it is now).

Anyone remember before Drayton Road was "straightened" to intersect with Fernwood-Glendale? Hardee's was where the road is now. There was a piano store where BP is now (called Braisington House) and I took piano lessons there. Raxx built the building where Hardess is now, but soon closed. Then the road change occurred, and Hardee's moved next door to the old Raxx building.

Fun, fun memories.

Man I could go on and on with this thread but lets start simple.

As one other poster mentioned on gas stations, there used to be a Chevron station where the new Rite Aid is now and where part of the Red Lobster was at Hillcrest. There used to be a Texaco on the corner of Pine and Main across from the crappy motel. There used to be a Gulf station on the corner of Kennedy & Pine behind the Sugar and Spice. There was also a quick shop where the Seven Spices is now that sold gas and had Topps baseball cards.

There was actually a Putt Putt course where the old Starbucks at Hillcrest is now and in the old Hillcrest shopping center were names such as A&P, Record Bar, Dipper Dans ice cream, Aug W Smith was here for a while, Smith Outz drug store, and a dime store (now called Dollar General). The Hardees that was mentioned earlier had a huge SHS Viking on the tile floor. It was pretty cool.

Anyone remember the old Mr.Zip chain? This was the Lil Crickett of the day. They were everywhere.

At the time of the 70's/early 80's the west side ended where JM Fields was. There was really nothing beyond that on Reidville Rd until you got out to the traffic circle and the only thing there was an Esso gas station (Exxon) and I-26. Before Westgate Mall, downtown ended where the used car lots are on WO Ezell.

The best toy departments in town were in the basement of Aug Smiths downtown and over at Sears where the county administration building is now. There was actually a JC Penny across from Aug Smiths and across from the old Kiddie Korner but their toy selection stunk.

The movie theaters of the day were the Palmetto across from the Kiddie Korner, the Carolina in the Montgomery Building, The State across from the old Belks, and the Pinewood Theater at Pinewood (my personal favorite).

Where the new Arbys is on Pine was once a Colonial grocery story and there was another at Duncan Park where Carolina Cash is now. Aftyer the Colonial on Pine closed, a Pooles department store went in there for a while followed by Express music. There was also a Smith Outz drug store across the street where the Napa Auto parts store now resides.

Good times!

My Mom's '68 Pontiac Le Mans used to roar around that thing on the way back from the family farm in Moore. We actually used to race back to our eastside home with me and my Mom in one car and my bro and Dad in another (had to use both cars to carry all the produce). I think they were only like 6 traffic lights from the RR traffic circle to our Hillcrest neighborhood.

Archived