Whats going on in Metro Phoenix

MJLO

hey all, I just moved to Phoenix not to long ago, i've had a couple months to drive around the area, and see some towns. Does anyone have any pics of Downtown Scottsdale? Downtown Mesa? Does Chandler have a downtown? What about Developements?

When I drive up the 101 freeway, I see a bunch of Cranes in Scottsdale, is that where the Trump tower is going? Does anyone from Phoenix have an interest in the city? Am I the lone Phoenix Lurker?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, for pics I suggest you take a look at this site. They're all VERY good pics.

I also believe that the Trump deal fell through, however I think that the company he was partnered with wanted to still move on with the project, except on a smaller scale. I don't think that construction has (or will) start(ed).

If it did, it would be in the Biltmore area.

And lastly, I am also interested in Phoenix, seeing as how I live in Glendale on the west side.

--Cody W

Chandler is actually my favorite Downtown of the East Valley cities. It's located just south of Chandler Boulevard and Arizona Avenue (Country Club in Mesa). There are several good, non-chain restaurants and cafes, a nice fountain/sculpture area in front of the city complex, and a strange thrift-like store. There's also the San Marcos Resort, which I believe is owned by Sheraton. Whenever I come up to Phoenix, if I have the time, I take 87 and stop in Chandler for a little while.

Developments? Is there ever not a time when there are developments going on?

There was an article somewhere recently indicating that they are finally going to build in Sun Valley near Buckeye. Anyone familiar with the area knows about that ridiculous highway that goes off into the desert from I-10/Palo Verde Road.

As for pictures, I have some from some various trips to the area. Not the best of photos, but there are quite a few of the various Downtowns:

http://www.lonelycrowdedwest.net/pics/az/phoenix/pics/

Also this one, but this is more Glendale and Phoenix, with a few from Pueblo Grande:

http://www.lonelycrowdedwest.net/pics/az/phoenix/pics/2/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious as to any specific developments in the Phoenix area that are worth catching. I'll be heading there this weekend and hope to get some photos of the area. I'm a landscape architect and interested in the downtown area, interesting neighborhoods, and any New Urbanist type developments.

One recommendation I've gotten is Old Scottsdale. I'm more into the downtown vibe or old neighborhoods with quaint neighborhood centers. Any advice or list of places would be appreciated.

Best thing I can tell you is do a google search, there is so much in terms of developement going around in the valley, it would take to much to post. I can tell you that if you're looking for city scapes, some of the best pictures can be taken headed southbound on highway 51 as you're approaching downtown. Also Central ave will pretty much take you anywhere you want to go in downtown.

I'm working on compiling a list of projects and proposals going on in the Phoenix CBD, it's taking longer than I thought it would.

I'm curious as to any specific developments in the Phoenix area that are worth catching. I'll be heading there this weekend and hope to get some photos of the area. I'm a landscape architect and interested in the downtown area, interesting neighborhoods, and any New Urbanist type developments.

I've never heard of any true New Urbanist development except for maybe the "planned communities" like the Anthems and a couple on the west side near Buckeye. Phoenix seems much more interested in sprawl than intelligent urban design.

As for cool, old neighborhoods in Phoenix (and New Urbanist philosophy), this is a great resource.

Not to trash Phoenix too much (although I do enjoy it), Tucson has had a new urbanist community for several years, Civano. However, this has now been bought out by Pulte and become much less true to its original intention. I took an intelligent design course earlier this year which featured a field trip to Civano and a meeting with its founders. It's a very cool spot.

There's also the upcoming El Mercado district to the west of Downtown. This is also supposed to be mostly New Urbanist in design and part of the Rio Nuevo project.

One recommendation I've gotten is Old Scottsdale. I'm more into the downtown vibe or old neighborhoods with quaint neighborhood centers. Any advice or list of places would be appreciated.

Downtown Scottsdale isn't really an "old neighborhood" by most definitions. It's really more a tourist area with fake cowboys and tacky art galleries. Most Phoenix suburbs do actually have town centers though. I've always liked Chandler's, and Mesa's is also nice, with museums, hotels, offices and its own convention center. Also be sure to check out the area just to the north of Downtown Phoenix while you're there.

Downtown Tempe is basically just Mill Avenue and the ASU campus.

Mill Avenue is mostly chain stores and restaurants (Cold Stone Creamery, Barnes & Noble, Gordon Biersch, Chili's etc) and doesn't seem to have much of an identity. I've been told that it was really nice a few years ago, and more like Fourth Avenue in Tucson, until they redid everything. Also, the bars are overpriced and mostly frat places. I do hang out there when I come to the area, but only at the coffee shops on northern Mill.

Tempe Town Lake is very cool, although the whole idea is a little counter-intuitive.

Thanks for the help colin. I'm more into the old neighborhood vibe, but what I do as a professional is Traditional Neighborhood Design and urban design. I'll check out the Civano, sounds interesting. I hate it when a national conglomerate takes something cool and beotchizes it with cookie cutter.

Does Scottsdale's waterfront have anything going for it? I've seen some stuff online where it will be getting some condo life soon and was curious if there's any infrastructure/park space currently in place.

Again, thanks for the help.

you gotta understand cdub, Old neighborhoods in the traditional, eastern part of the country sense don't exist out here. Most of the neighborhoods here go back to the 1980's and 90's the oldest ones i've seen go back to the 1950's but they are more typical one story three bed one bath ranch homes. Neighborhoods with character are hard to find out here, I'd imagine Tuscon has more of a classic feel than Phoenix. Phoenix is cookie cutter subdivision after subdivision. The cities in the Phoenix Metro area, are just now starting to gain a little character. There are places in north Scottsdale that are very quaint, nice shops and the like. Downtown Scottsdale, along Scottsdale Rd. has some real cool things. Also Gilbert has a pretty cool city center.

But i've never heard anything about a Scottsdale water front.

I just joined up to help you out MJLO and cdub.

modernphoenix.net is a site that featues modern home- subdivisions all over phoenix. This may only help you if you are looking to buy a modern home (Haver or Beadle are our 2 famous architects).

I have a site called phxloftnetwork.com- I just went live recently- I think it may help you if you want to see city pictures at least- go to the message boards/ city pictures section- I have posted many.

If I can help you out in any other way let me know...

It's great to have someone a little more in the know on here than me. I'm crawling around in the dark out here, but I am making some progress. It just doesn't help that I have the technological savvy of an orangutang. Even then the apes may have me beat .

Archived