West

Justin6882

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a mere stone's throw away from the government center TTA station (if that ever happens.) Let's hope for something nice, not too small but not too large either.

Regarding the Dawson being too small: well, perhaps it is, but that means it will take fewer people to fill it up, which means more land can get redeveloped before the downtown housing market gets saturated. ;) Besides, it was one of the first projects to get underway, and you gotta start somewhere.

That's a mere stone's throw away from the government center TTA station (if that ever happens.) Let's hope for something nice, not too small but not too large either.

Regarding the Dawson being too small: well, perhaps it is, but that means it will take fewer people to fill it up, which means more land can get redeveloped before the downtown housing market gets saturated. ;) Besides, it was one of the first projects to get underway, and you gotta start somewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the problem with the Dawson is that there are too many large units. Have you seen the floor plates? There are four huge units per floor (corners) and even more units above 2000 SF. There should have been more smaller units. That way there would have been more households living in the area.

As for "starting somewhere", the Dawson was not the first....Think Cotton Mill, Park Devereaux, 510 Glenwood.....

whats the dt population in Raleigh...?

I know in charlotte we are pushing almost 13 to 15k

at one pt I was looking to relocate my business up to raleigh and was looking in dt to live. Not too many options at the time... I am glad they are changing that

thats good news

I don't know the immediate downtown (CBD) population, but it is nowhere near Charlotte's right now, however it is improving with each new development.

I suppose if you count neighborhoods like Oakwood, Boylan Heights, Chavis Heights, Walnut Creek, St Marys College, etc, it isn't too bad, but I wouldn't consider those areas the CBD exactly, though I suppose they are technically "downtown" to some people. They are more comparable to South End, Dilworth, Plaza-Midwood, Chantilly, and Midtown-Elizabeth in Charlotte.

...I suppose they are technically "downtown" to some people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you listen to some of the suburbanites from North Raleigh, anything inside the beltline is "downtown." I was absolutely astonished one day when a woman came in to a city council meeting one day and said that she's never going downtown again because of predatory towing practices. She had a very legitimate complaint and everyone seemed to agree that towing needs to be regulated. But my point is: where was her car when it got towed? Hillsborough Street! Right by the NCSU Library. Sheesh, some of these people wouldn't know downtown if it hit them upside the head...

Hot area could get new development

Sounds like the developer of the Dawson on Morgan has plans to jump in on the Glenwood South building boom.  This one could possibly be larger than the Dawson (Which I think is too small).

Also, apparently the Dawson officially opens today.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many of the units at the Dawson have sold? Also anyone have pics of the completed Dawson?

How many of the units at the Dawson have sold? Also anyone have pics of the completed Dawson?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Completed? I just went by there today, and it's not done yet. A lot of the patios still haven't been installed - they just have doors that lead to ... nothing. The ground floor retail space isn't ready for occupancy yet, and the sidewalks are still closed off around the building. Perhaps a few units are ready for move-in, but I wouldn't say it's quite ready for a photo shoot yet ;)

Yeah, I saw the Dawson on Monday, and while the exterior was looking great, I don't think it'll be "ready" until May. The cool thing is that it is visible on the skyline from South Saunders and Hargett. (I have a mediocre pano that I might stitch together later but the weather wasn't cooperating)

Also the Paramount is starting to get some of it skin up as well.

• 1 year later...

In the N&O this morning:

"Gregg Sandreuter is planning "West," a 14-story complex of 155 condominiums and 17,000 square feet of shops, offices or restaurants -- enough to cover half a football field. The project, at 413 N. Harrington St., would be three blocks north of Hillsborough Street and two blocks east of Glenwood Avenue."

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/433126.html

looks like it could offer some nice price-points too

Wow - I believe these are near my office, I'll have to check out whats on that site right now when i go in today.

I can't wait to see some renderings - this is really awesome...it seems like everyday someone else announces a 10+ story building for downtown. This will also make that end of DT more dense looking from afar hopefully.

This is the most specific information we've seen so far about this project, which will be on the NW corner of Harrington & North, within spitting distance of the TTA rail station. It's that parking lot with the weird structure in the corner that looks kind of like a bus shelter.

This would do a lot to fill in the gap between Glenwood South and the state government complex. It's on a pretty steep slope, which should make for a very interesting urban streetscape.

I was trying to beat everyone to the punch to annouce this but the site kept giving me a error message. :wacko: Anywho this is exciting. I know Downtown and raleigh as a whole is moving in a more urban direction. :yahoo: Lets hope the city council or NIMBY do not try to push the height down. :angry: it is nowhere near any historic neigborhoods and is in city overlay district which should push the approval process along. :thumbsup:

^Yeah I don't think this anyone around that would try to get this thing reduced in size, or not built at all, since there really are no residences around it. I'm glad its going there, since one block off of Glenwood is nothing but 1-story low rises and parking lots.

This project should sail through all the planning councils.

I can't see any NIMBYs for this one. This should be rubber stamped.

The article is interesting, I'm wondering where the saturation point is, seems like in 2008 we'll have 100s of new condos. My only hope is their all filled. If they are, the ball will continue to roll. Hopefully other areas of DT will start getting major announcements like this.

I was trying to beat everyone to the punch to annouce this but the site kept giving me a error message. :wacko: Anywho this is exciting. I know Downtown and raleigh as a whole is moving in a more urban direction. :yahoo: Lets hope the city council or NIMBY do not try to push the height down. :angry: it is nowhere near any historic neigborhoods and is in city overlay district which should push the approval process along. :thumbsup:

The NIMBY's are the ones that should be way out in the burbs...Let the true city folk reach for the sky. Its crazy to hear people say don't build high DT. Against the grain.

Archived