West

Justin6882

Got an email from Ann Cabell stating that this project has moved from pre-sale prices, to level 1, whatever that means. Also states that it will break ground in early October for a completion date 18 months out - another '08 completion ;)

So with this and RBC should break ground around the same time.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been advertisements for West on WUNC (91.5) for several weeks now, and they have been advertising a construction date of "This fall," which certainly includes October.

If they actually break ground when they're planning, this building will be in the running with Quorum for record time from concept to construction.

The proposed building would be comprised of 194 residential condominium units (200 dwelling units per acre), 10,795 SF of retail a 9,700 SF community meeting room and a four level parking deck containing 296 parking spaces.
So is this building going to contain a seperate, attached parking garage, will it be integrated into the structure, or will it be some combination of the two?

Interesting to note that this building is butting up against the density limits allowed downtown. This is a .97-acre lot, with a maximum allowed density of 200 units / acre - hence, the 194-unit configuration.

This plan is certainly to be commended for its density, it's a nice size and scale for that part of the city, and it's nice that the city was able to get some concessions from the developer to raise the density from the baseline 40 units per acre (such as the 9700 square foot community meeting space - exactly 50sf / unit). However, I think the city should be asking itself if these density restrictions are really in line with what they want to see downtown.

The applicants plan includes a 15

So is this building going to contain a seperate, attached parking garage, will it be integrated into the structure, or will it be some combination of the two?

I wondered the same thing. I assume not since the only site listed in the hearing doc is that .97 ac.

I looked on the city web site and saw that the same folks who are own this property also own the lot to the north of this. About the same size. Not sure if there are plans for another large building. If so awesome, but I'll be happy with this going up (for now!).

From the "Not too shabby!" link, parking will be on the north side of the project, accessed from Harrington Street 100'+ north of North Street. This will provide a nice, solid front from Harrington to West along North, and nice "corners" at both ends of North.

If they "mirror" this on the other half of the block (hotel???) to the north with a combined parking deck, it could be good density close to Glenwood South and downtown (but take away the view from units facing the north).

Hopefully this will spur sidewalk connectivity to Glenwood South along North, as there is none now east of the Creamery and Capital Fitness. Unfortunately, the train bridge parallel to West and Glenwood makes this difficult, if not impossible. The lot north and east of the train track wye will be under development pressure as it sits right between this and 222.

This is exactly the type of project DT needs. I think I remember hearing that the developer was going to build more condos on his land across the street if this project was successful, which it is. 15 stories is definitely the tallest condo bldg DT so far.

I know the city is considering changing the density codes for things like access to a TTA station, green design, etc. That would create greater ability to build more dense in DT. Whatever can be done to make DT more friendly to good, dense urban development and more affordable for more people, I'm all for it.

• 1 month later...

There's a ribbon cutting party for the West at North on Thursday 6-9pm. I assume that means construction will begin very soon. :thumbsup:

People at the West said that construction would start in October. My thought is that the actual contstruction will start Friday, the 20th/Monday 23rd? Right after the party?

• 2 weeks later...

They've got a huge balloon up today, I'm guessing it's to mark the height of the new building. It's extremly visible coming in on Capitol.

Is THAT what that was? :rofl: I thought that was a big giant apple!! I figured the Agriculture Dept was advertising that NC apples are in season or something like that. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I just received this word from the sales agent for West at North:

We are excited to report that West has received zoning approvals from the

City of Raleigh and the construction team is busily working with the City to

obtain West's building permit. We expect the City to issue the first

permits in mid-December, and construction will start soon thereafter. Sales

activity has been fantastic, with contracts being signed at an accelerating

pace as buyers are hurrying secure units at today's lower prices. Prices

are scheduled to increase upon construction commencement.

• 4 weeks later...

From the renderings in the animation, it looks like they have retail spaces all along both West and Harrington, not just along North. (The parking entrance appears to be on Harrington.)

I like it. I would even like it in Charlotte, amongst the crowd of new towers. It is fairly plain but I like the lower level activity. It would stick out there because of the lower level activity alone.

And what else I am supposed to be expressing here?? Did you miss the imo? I happen to think how many people that will be attracted to live downtown is a function of the type of available buildings. My own personal experience and preferences plus plenty of time talking it over with friends makes me think that most people interested in living downtown don't want to be isolated from the streetscape so far up. Yeah sure you can stuff more people downtown by stuffing them higher up in the air, I think "imo", that you are more likely to get to the critical mass of people downtown for things like a decent grocery store, bookstore, whatever it is thats lacking, if you go with shorter (4-8 story) buildings for the most part. Do you have an opinion or more of that^^? The beauty of this forum is that you are allowed to express opinions.

DwntwnRaleighGuy gave good reasons to go higher on that site. Thats cool. My reference to griping in general about going tall is one that exists throughout this subforum. Tall, money shots, municipal prestige, making a statement, signature architecture..........I hear it, see it, read it, and find it pretty easy to argue against objectively let alone my personal opinions. Dana has pointed out that this city has 100-150 buildable lots downtown still. No space crunch here. There are environmental issues involved with teardowns, these costs are rarely completely figured into the equation. There are quality of life issues that never show up on the bottom line. I think tall buildings are very freakin' cool. I also think Briggs hardware is cooler.

And thats my opinion.

Hello jones133, first let me say this. I respect your opinion ,I just think that location would be better suited for a taller building, But you do hit on some good points on how to improve the area as ahole in downtown Raleigh. :D

Archived