West

Justin6882

A bar/lounge type space like the Burrough at the Dawson would be more appropriate for that bldg's retail space.

That's exactly what I was thinking. You Dawson guys are lucky to have such a cool spot on board. Until the parking lot between West and Get Dressed for Less is full of more residences, I think the retail space in West will struggle. West Street, Like Boylan Avenue is such an important part of the Glenwood Avenue neighborhood

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's exactly what I was thinking. You Dawson guys are lucky to have such a cool spot on board. Until the parking lot between West and Get Dressed for Less is full of more residences, I think the retail space in West will struggle. West Street, Like Boylan Avenue is such an important part of the Glenwood Avenue neighborhood

We thought the same thing about the Burrough when it first opened. No one thought that it would succeed, given the foot traffic down Morgan and Dawson, but look at it now. Once the hotel project across from 42nd street is completed, there will be much more need for basic retail in that area.

How often are you over at the Burrough?

Of course the Borough works because it offers affordable, tasty food, reasonably priced drinks, in an inviting/comfortable atmosphere... plus, it's a well-known GLBT hangout, though not to the same extent as Legends, etc. So, you have a lot of regulars there who know the owners (they tend bar too) that come in all the time. This is not necessarily a formula that can easily be repeated. Know your market and carve out a niche. Raleigh Times has theirs (hipster hang out + good atmosphere & quality food), Mosaic has theirs, and so on... the restaurants and bars that have struggled downtown are mostly the ones who underestimated the need to target their market and thought a formulaic offering would work (remember the bars at the Depot?).

The cluby spaces sort of fit that area (Glenwood South), but they need to differentiate themselves from Solas, etc. Let's hope the West spaces will work.

We thought the same thing about the Burrough when it first opened. No one thought that it would succeed, given the foot traffic down Morgan and Dawson, but look at it now. Once the hotel project across from 42nd street is completed, there will be much more need for basic retail in that area.

How often are you over at the Burrough?

My only concern about the Borough was realized last weekend when a car wreck landed square in the middle of the patio. No body was killed luckily so now is the time to put some pretty but sturdy bollards at the curb. I hang out there in spurts that is mostly a function of who I am hanging out with. It was about once a week, but now its more like once a month with so many other places to work into the rotation. One of the best things about the place is that it exists quite nicely on its own... away from the activity magnets. Being on the fringe of the warehouse district as opposed to in the middle of Glenwood or Fayetteville St just makes it more appealing to me. Liz got the interior just right too, and a cut-away corner entrance to me is a fine detail that says "welcome".

Will the folks footing the bill on the ground floor of West find those things that are just the right touch for the right niche (great point Jojo) of clientele? We shall see.

• 1 year later...

More apartments are proposed in the Glenwood South area of downtown - this time attached to West at North, and called "Apartments at West."

Site plan here.

Just north of West at North. 0.96 acres, 153 units, 7 stories. Looks like the ground floor is mostly parking, except for a leasing office, lobby, and fitness center facing West Street.

• 2 years later...

Looks like they have added on 177 apartments to the original West Apartments plan, extending the project all the way to W. Johnson St.  This one is called West Apartments II.

Site Plan: http://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanDev/Articles/DevServ/CurrentDevelopmentActivity.html#jmp6

(click Site Plan Cases tab and you can find it at the bottom)

Interesting that he is starting another before the first one....any of his apartment projects really....gets out of the ground. Like the West and it's difficulties filling up, I wonder how many people will pay A+ rent for an apartment that sits more or less above Capital Blvd and fronts a street with absolutely nothing on it. Were this the beginning of a downtown renaissance I would get it, but there are so many better neighborhoods now to choose from. JDavis keeps Sandreuters buildings looking nice but it's like he has no sense for urban environment at all. 

I have come to realize that I don't have a problem with developers exceeding parking minimums if they want to. If this is what they think they need in order to turn a profit, or if they intend to operate it as a pay parking deck for Glenwood South, then that's fine.

What I do have a problem with is developers being forced to build a minimum number of parking spaces when they don't want to. That adds unnecessarily to the cost of development. This is why I love 2604 Hillsborough and the little provision in the zoning ordinances that allowed it to be built: No onsite parking minimums for developments of 16 units or less.

In essence, though, I think there should be no parking minimums, but also no parking maximums. Let parking be market-driven.

Archived