West

Justin6882

It looks like Site 1 + 222 Glenwood + The Dawson... which makes sense since J Davis Architects did Site 1 and Sandreuter developed The Dawson. It looks like EIFS on the top, but that's probably over 100 ft up, so who really cares? I agree with orulz, that the main urban features we'd look for are there: good ped environment, ground floor retail, residential mixed use, near transit (TTA), etc.

ditto looks just like site 1

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The architecture is just a sign of the times imo.....I don't particularly care for its conversative look but am still more than pleased to welcome the building, as proposed, into the city. Actually, for me to live in a cool, different type of building, it is a requirement that some stock supply of condo be supplied.....Boylan Flats, Hudson....different.....West at North, Site 1, Dawson, Paramount....stock.....no problem......the stock supply in Raleigh kind of reminds me of new stuff around Balston Metro in Arlington...nice, tidy...not inspiring, but works in the big scheme of things.

The building is a disappointment. It looks like everything else that J Davis has done - Site 1, Dawson, Palladium, Sky Sail, Arboretum, Davis Park.... just look at their website. It's competently done, but no more than that.

Hopefully some better things will be built nearby, and this will fade to the background.

The building is a disappointment. It looks like everything else that J Davis has done - Site 1, Dawson, Palladium, Sky Sail, Arboretum, Davis Park.... just look at their website. It's competently done, but no more than that.

Hopefully some better things will be built nearby, and this will fade to the background.

Ever see the Brady Bunch movie where the dad can only design buildings that look like his house?

Yeah, it's kinda like that.

Is it really a surprise to see so many buildings being built that resemble each other around here? Just look at the kind of upheaval the chandeliers caused. People around here are afraid of anything different for some reason. I think right now we are in a transition period, where we are seeing a change in mindset from "Who would want to live downtown?" to " I want to live downtown." People are starting to get used to new tall buildings, and I think that in the near future we will start seeing a lot of different, interesting styles of achitecture.

Hey guys, we all know these are not the final renderings and the developer will deliver something that will improve the areas in which these projects are going. I personally love the designs. They have a charcter to them that has been raleigh's identity. Brick. Plus if you want to compare projects that look alike and still make a city center look great don't look to far to your southwest to see our big sister city of charlotte.. But none of us will complain. :D

I'm not from Charlotte, because i'm Raleigh's finest! Anyway, no Charlotte does have some nice architecture DT. I love the way the DT area has a bluesh gray hue about it. The Goth aspect is just the vibe I get from the place. What I mean by underrated, is the fact that, you wouldn't expect such architeture in a southern city,in NC.

Hey guys, we all know these are not the final renderings and the developer will deliver something that will improve the areas in which these projects are going. I personally love the designs. They have a charcter to them that has been raleigh's identity. Brick. Plus if you want to compare projects that look alike and still make a city center look great don't look to far to your southwest to see our big sister city of charlotte.. But none of us will complain. :D
I agree with you,although these building do look similar i think this is a style that matches Raleigh's identity also, because we still have alot of brick building in our downtown area these buildings blend in nicely and also with the beige adds alittle bit of flava,i think more different style's will come as we get more project's up and going and people wanting something different it will happen sooner rather than later.

I agree with you,although these building do look similar i think this is a style that matches Raleigh's identity also, because we still have alot of brick building in our downtown area these buildings blend in nicely and also with the beige adds alittle bit of flava,i think more different style's will come as we get more project's up and going and people wanting something different it will happen sooner rather than later.

I am not so sure this is Raleigh's identity as it is "Condo Building Plan 1" out of the Condo Plan Book meaning, you could probably find this very same building or something close to it being built in any major city in North America. I just don't get a feeling that these designers are coming up with anything "special" for Raleigh.

It does somewhat fit the character of Raleigh but so did Hanover II when it was built. It is better than nothing and does have ground level retail but I don't think it will win awards. Again, JMHO.

I am not so sure this is Raleigh's identity as it is "Condo Building Plan 1" out of the Condo Plan Book meaning, you could probably find this very same building or something close to it being built in any major city in North America. I just don't get a feeling that these designers are coming up with anything "special" for Raleigh.

It does somewhat fit the character of Raleigh but so did Hanover II when it was built. It is better than nothing and does have ground level retail but I don't think it will win awards. Again, JMHO.

I understand what you are saying also, i also think Raleigh is a city that is slowly changing it's identity the great thing about Raleigh's growth downtown is, if you think about this is really the first time we really have had this much growth at one time,i mean really think about three years ago we would not even be having this discussion isn't it great!!, look how far Raleigh has come in such a short time the designs will get better as the city becomes a hotbed of urban growth with lots of sizzle ,the wall street journal isn't going to blow just anybody horns.Raleigh will have alot of flava in it's designs it's still so early in the game am not worried about it, but once again, i feel what you are saying. :thumbsup:

I completely agree.

On a side note, I dont think raleigh has defined it's style or identity since 95% of the city could be anytown,usa.

Well I had heard units were going to be priced in the lower 200s but today I found that only 6 732sq ft. units will go for 230K and everything goes up from there. Looked like the top floor units capped out at around 700K. Again I wish there were more units available that were in the lower 200s.

Also, I heard the developer also owns land on the next block towards Peace....possibly another project there.

Well I had heard units were going to be priced in the lower 200s but today I found that only 6 732sq ft. units will go for 230K and everything goes up from there. Looked like the top floor units capped out at around 700K. Again I wish there were more units available that were in the lower 200s.

Also, I heard the developer also owns land on the next block towards Peace....possibly another project there.

good god thats over $300 dollars a square foot.....

A friend of mine put down a deposit on one recently. He said there were about 20 ppl on the list so far FWIW, so I think that's pretty good for only a couple of weeks, given all the condos available now. $300/sf is a pretty penny!

Around 20 reservations in a few weeks is a good start but I have noticed a growing marketing trend where once the building is anounced you have to hurry hurry to put down your reservation to "take advantage of pre-construction pricing". Makes me wonder if those reservation numbers might be inflated to make you rush to get in your reservation.

• 1 month later...

Around 20 reservations in a few weeks is a good start but I have noticed a growing marketing trend where once the building is anounced you have to hurry hurry to put down your reservation to "take advantage of pre-construction pricing". Makes me wonder if those reservation numbers might be inflated to make you rush to get in your reservation.

I agree. Marketing gimmickry at its best. My neighbor put holds on 3 units in the West at North project until she could see what features she would be getting. Apparently detailed unit info like finishes and bulit-ins is withheld until people are "locked in".

Archived