West

Justin6882

Noticed this as well, however, If you look closely while passing the site, it looks as though they'vve laid the base for a tower crane. Could they be swithcing out at some point?

Its definitely a tower crane base...drive past it every day on my new scenic route through downtown in the evenings :shades:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know how many tower cranes will be up in downtown once this one is constructed? Also how many more are going up? Thanks!

I count 3 at the CC site, 1 at Bloomsbury, 1 at RBC and 1 at [email protected] I think.......others that will llikely get them are Reynolds, Site One, Layfayette(site 4), PE III (multiple), The Nash, and possibly 630 north or Boylan Flats depending on their construction type. The current 6 will likely not all be there when some of these others start to come out of the ground.

I count 3 at the CC site, 1 at Bloomsbury, 1 at RBC and 1 at [email protected] I think.......others that will likely get them are Reynolds, Site One, Layfayette(site 4), PE III (multiple), The Nash, and possibly 630 north or Boylan Flats depending on their construction type. The current 6 will likely not all be there when some of these others start to come out of the ground.

Agree with your list, plus you can add 222 Glenwood, which is already going up.

• 1 month later...

anyone know if the building directly next to the site, fronting on Harrington (think it used to be SEANC's offices) which they appear to be using for staging/offices will be demolished when the main structure is closed in, or will it be incorporated into the project? It is almost touching the outermost rows of concrete pillars...

anyone know if the building directly next to the site, fronting on Harrington (think it used to be SEANC's offices) which they appear to be using for staging/offices will be demolished when the main structure is closed in, or will it be incorporated into the project? It is almost touching the outermost rows of concrete pillars...

I think the only word was that the owned (obviously) and we here had speculated on the likelyhood of future development. Hamilton Merrit does proceed steadily with its work so I think after West is done they would consider a complimentary structure.

I went to the kickoff event last week for the showroom for the West.

The building looks promising and the staff was super friendly. One thing that struck me as odd was the fact that when you picked a unit you had to select one of three "prefab" configurations of floor/marble/cabinetry. You couldn't mix and match and choose your own.

• 1 month later...

The building is a disappointment. It looks like everything else that J Davis has done - Site 1, Dawson, Palladium, Sky Sail, Arboretum, Davis Park.... just look at their website. It's competently done, but no more than that.

Hopefully some better things will be built nearby, and this will fade to the background.

J Davis Group is a "developer's architect." They deliver banal buildings to unimaginative developers. Nothing is wrong with this, of course, as a building is just a machine to make the land pay. Apologies to Cass Gilbert...

It's going to be a while before we see it rise above other buildings... it's a very large buildling--almost 400k sf, so it will take some time to pour each floor before moving up (not like the small floorplates on the Marriott hotel). The condo's website has some pictures.

I walked by the site last night (wish I had my camera) and the footprint is huge....the building is about half as long as it will be tall.....nearby Primp Salon and the yoga studio had plenty of people coming and going....if Dirty makes a go of it, all this combined with West's commercial/restaruant space and existing Powerhouse square, and I would say that West Street itself will have arrived....and I was thinking Boylan or Peace would be the next nearby streets to turn the corner so to speak, although Peace is already very active with Mellow, 7-Even and such.

Update pic from tonight:

2569618430098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

As you can see there's not much to look at yet, but theyu did a lot of subsurface work under West St (sewer?) and you can't tlel from this pic, but the parking deck has at least 2 levels below the ground floor frontage (the grade slopes back down West St)

• 1 month later...

Yeah--those commercials are hilarious. I like how the guy is supposed to be in his twenties, yet sounds about 40 something :shades:

West is going to be a great addition down there. I was at Helios last week and you could see West starting to rise, along with Solas next door. It's beginning to get a more urban feel down there. Great to see!

Archived