BRT a possibility

smeagolsfree

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is exciting news! Hope the lag time between buses is not noo long. I'm thining 15 minutes would be acceptable. I can see it now -- catch a Sounds game, hop on the BRT, drinks at Blackstone, MTA back home... :lol: Seriously, though -- with all the residential going up along the West End corridor, this should get a lot of use. It will make getting to/from WE and DT a breeze.

This is exciting! Particularly for East Nashville, which is largely going to be skipped by the Star. It will be good to get down Gallatin and go directly through to the Vandy area and vice versa, which is now about a half-day endeavor by public transportation. Maybe the BRT line addition will help to spur some private clean-up of the Gallatin streetscape, too, and speed the development of the multi-story mixed-use housing units that are zoned to replace the pawn shops and seedy businesses that presently line the street. Bring it on!

I don't know all the ins and outs of this project, but why wouldn't you just go all the way to light rail? To me BRT, while functional, is, when compared to LRT, like buying a plastic casio when a Rolex is only $5 more.

I thought light rail, while a great idea, was a lot more expensive. And wouldn't it take considerably longer to put into place?

Could BRT be used as a kind of stepping stone to future light rail? Or, if light rail is only slightly more costly, would it make more sense just to jump on into it?

David

I thought light rail, while a great idea, was a lot more expensive. And wouldn't it take considerably longer to put into place?

Could BRT be used as a kind of stepping stone to future light rail? Or, if light rail is only slightly more costly, would it make more sense just to jump on into it?

David

That's kind of the impression i got. Just imagine the traffic delays along gallatin and 21st or west end if they tried to put down rail lines. From what I understand, they are trying to implement this slowly and will eventually have a system designed so that light rail could eventually be put in place of the brt

As if we don't have enough automotive generated smog in Nashville, Now we will have even more bus fumes to breath in while waiting for the light to change so we can cross the road. *cough* *cough* LOL!!!

J/K

Seriously though. Has anyone heard if they will purchase new buses for these routes or just use the same stinky, dirty ones they got now?

As if we don't have enough automotive generated smog in Nashville, Now we will have even more bus fumes to breath in while waiting for the light to change so we can cross the road. *cough* *cough* LOL!!!

J/K

Seriously though. Has anyone heard if they will purchase new buses for these routes or just use the same stinky, dirty ones they got now?

Maybe the BRT system could have alternative fuel buses, perhaps bio-diesel ones for example. Then it would smell like french fries when you got behind one. LOL :) Seriously though, if they are going to invest in a BRT system, why not pick an alternative fuel bus model. In the long term if would be more environmentally friendly and potentially substantially cheaper to operate (depending on what alt. fuel they chose).

Good question, Lexy. That's one of my beefs with the BRT option. The other thing I wonder about is how much an express lane will affect (or be affected by) Nashville's already congested roads.

Couldn't that have the secondary effects of more people using the BRT because it's faster? Cheaper? More convenient? I imagine if a BRT or light rail system were implemented at medium scale on current rights-of-way, you're right, it could instantly hamper traffic. It would take a huge public education initiative. I know the current proposal is just a east-west line, but I can see where creating effective mass transit would take lots of careful planning in car-dominated environment.

Maybe the BRT system could have alternative fuel buses, perhaps bio-diesel ones for example. Then it would smell like french fries when you got behind one. LOL :) Seriously though, if they are going to invest in a BRT system, why not pick an alternative fuel bus model. In the long term if would be more environmentally friendly and potentially substantially cheaper to operate (depending on what alt. fuel they chose).

Alternative fuels to city leaders here is like a hopeless cause. It would never happen. LOL!!!!

YOu mention alternative fuels to a leader here and you'll get the "Idiot in Algebra Class" look. You know the one.

Alternative fuels to city leaders here is like a hopeless cause. It would never happen. LOL!!!!

YOu mention alternative fuels to a leader here and you'll get the "Idiot in Algebra Class" look. You know the one.

Sure it could happen. They do it in Memphis where certain buses run on some soybean-recycled lard concoction. There's no reason Nashville couldn't do the same. I'm sure there's enough chicken joints with deep fat fryers to keep the system energy independent. :P

They even do it in the western NC county of Gaston. The school district there decided to take the leftover fat from the school cafeterias where they fry up food for the kiddies, and convert it to bio-diesel. This bio-diesel is then used to fuel the school buses. It saves them money in fuel costs, fat disposal costs, and the buses don't pollute as much. It's a win win all the way around.

They setup their own bio-diesel conversion facility which isn't that hard to do. If this place can do it, any place could.

They even do it in the western NC county of Gaston. The school district there decided to take the leftover fat from the school cafeterias where they fry up food for the kiddies, and convert it to bio-diesel. This bio-diesel is then used to fuel the school buses. It saves them money in fuel costs, fat disposal costs, and the buses don't pollute as much. It's a win win all the way around.

They setup their own bio-diesel conversion facility which isn't that hard to do. If this place can do it, any place could.

In NC, I figured they'd run on KrispyKreme grease. That'd make some sweet-smelling exhaust. :lol:

Hank, I'm really wondering if you are EVER going to run out of 'suprises' for me/us. I can't believe Chat. has all of these things, very forward-minded. Seems like every time a new idea is mentioned here, we come to find out Chat. has had for years...unbelievable. You guys don't have a Sig Tower though, correct????

I remember the electric buses from the last few times in Chattanooga and I was immediately jealous. Its great that Chattanooga has stuff that Nashville can be jealous of. We've got some really great cities in Tennessee.

Those buses run just in the downtown area of Chatt. if I'm not mistaken. I wish oh I wish Nashville could follow in Chatt's footsteps here in some way. Wouldn't an electric shuttle route compliment our current system nicely? Hankster, what is the price of a ride on the shuttle? Even if its just to replace some of our current buses w/ electric ones.

Nashivlle is definitely behind on environmentally friendly mass transit. Atlanta's buses advertise on the side about being enviro friendly too. Nashville's just blow smoke.

Archived