BRT a possibility

smeagolsfree

Looks as if the first steps of a BRT system are now in the works. An article from the CP today is saying that the first part of the system would more than likely be on Gallatin Rd. and could be running by January of next year.

They were also looking at West End but Gallatin Rd. is the busiest. West End would be simple to implement simply because all you have to do is ban parking along West End Blvd. and you have a BRT lane without much of a problem. The real issue will be if Metro can enforce the lane restrictions. I know that hardly any enforcement happens along the HOV lanes and if they do the same with the BRT lanes it will not be very successful.

http://e-paper.nashvillecitypaper.com/Repo...ish-skin-custom

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks as if the first steps of a BRT system are now in the works. An article from the CP today is saying that the first part of the system would more than likely be on Gallatin Rd. and could be running by January of next year.

They were also looking at West End but Gallatin Rd. is the busiest. West End would be simple to implement simply because all you have to do is ban parking along West End Blvd. and you have a BRT lane without much of a problem. The real issue will be if Metro can enforce the lane restrictions. I know that hardly any enforcement happens along the HOV lanes and if they do the same with the BRT lanes it will not be very successful.

I have never experienced BRT travel, and so I have a question for those in the know about how BRT lanes typically work: are the BRT lanes typically at the edge of the road or in the center?

The reason that I ask is that Gallatin Pike is pretty heavily traveled and so losing either (1) the use of either the two outer lanes or (2) the center turn lane would cause a lot of traffic problems, it seems to me. There are already lots of accidents on Gallatin right in my area, which is between Eastland and Douglas. There are also a lot of lights very close together, which could impact speed unless the lights are timed in a certain way.

Another question is whether the BRT would replace the Gallatin Road bus or whether it would be more of a limited service route stopping every half mile or so instead of every block, sort of like an express version of the Gallatin Pike route running parallel to the existing route. Perhaps if the timing is fast and regular enough, the BRT route could be extended past the current terminus at the Sam's Club and extended into Hendersonville to take some cars off of I-65/Vietnam Veterans. Again, though, I wonder about all of those lights!

I hope that this goes through in January!

For those interested in BRT, probably the finest example of a BRT system is the Transmilenio System in Bogota, Columbia(pop ~8 million) which moves approximately 1.3 Million people a day inexpensively. The System uses feeder bus routes which are free to transport people to the main BRT stations which they pay for a ticket. The system also provides incentives for biking with transit by providing indoor bike shelters which function much like a self serve coat check, you get a sticker when you leave to access your bicycle. Check this website and video:

Transmilenio BRT

For those interested in BRT, probably the finest example of a BRT system is the Transmilenio System in Bogota, Columbia(pop ~8 million) which moves approximately 1.3 Million people a day inexpensively. The System uses feeder bus routes which are free to transport people to the main BRT stations which they pay for a ticket. The system also provides incentives for biking with transit by providing indoor bike shelters which function much like a self serve coat check, you get a sticker when you leave to access your bicycle. Check this website and video:

Transmilenio BRT

An example of a BRT type bus on the downtown mall in Denver. It loads like a subway. The bus dips to allow a smooth exit to the sidewalk. Of course it is free in Denver.

Colorado003.jpg

There will evidently be stations built (per City Paper)...

After choosing a route and getting the new hybrid buses

^I believe this could be a step in the right direction. I'm glad the city and mayor are taking baby steps instead of waiting. This way we don't rush too quickly, spend a ton of money, and fail. Even though our transit systems are creeping along, we are making some good steps. Glad to hear they are getting some hybrid buses too!

Archived