Downtown Grand Rapids Branding Campaign

GR_Urbanist

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it a Secret????????

:shok: For what reason?????

You can't be both big time and a secret. This is further evidence of just how much city leaders are struggling with where they want the city to go.

That being said, how many cities would love to be in the situation that GR is in, getting national headlines about its growth.

Keep it a Secret????????

:shok: For what reason?????

Sounds like they are trying to play off the Las Vegas ad bit of "What happens here, stays here." I think they are trying to play up that DT is more like a "secret garden" of treasures for people to discover, but the slogan is not going to catch that image.

I'd go for something along the lines of "One big secret" and play off people's curiousity to get downtown and be part of something others don't know about.

Oh well, I'm not in marketing, so what do I know.

Had to quick get on UP to calm me down after hearing Rick and Scott talk about downtown because of this story. "No Parking, there's no parking down here!!" Last time I checked there were more parking garages than anything....or you could maybe walk a block or two! (one of my favorite things to do in a city, anyway!) We need to replace them with UP radio. :)

About the campaign, the logo is horrible (in my opinion) is just looks so homemade, not professional at all. Can't they at least smooth the fonts?

"Keep it a secret?" I'm not sure about that at all. Was really hoping for something better, a lot better.

It's too bad, because the Alliance has really kept DT looking nice and clean and everything else going DT is very sharp and classy looking. (I really like the directional signs!)

Oh, well...at least it probably won't stop people from going down there. Except for the fact that it looks like it should say, "Downtown Marne (random city chosen, don't be offended!) .... keep it a secret." It just looks so small towny.

I'm sure a lot of thought and work went into this, and I'm betting there's a lot more behind this single image we have to look at - so I don't want to rip it to shreds without hearing the reasoning and plan for this campaign. However, I'm in agreement with most here that it's really not compelling.

From a branding perspective, it's terrible. It's busy, too many colors and difficult to duplicate or recognize from a distance. The slogan implies that those who live here (or know about dt GR) know something that only we are privileged to know - it just comes off a little pretentious, which is the last thing GR needs to affiliate itself with.

Is this a done deal?

Archived