Downtown Grand Rapids Branding Campaign

GR_Urbanist

In about 30 seconds of consideration last evening, my wife came up with "Downtown Grand Rapids: Rapidly Changing".

When total amateurs can come up with multiple options more reasonable than "Keep it a Secret" in about 10 minutes....you know this is a bad campaign.

A little birdie who was at the press conference tells me the response in the room was tepid at best.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In about 30 seconds of consideration last evening, my wife came up with "Downtown Grand Rapids: Rapidly Changing".

When total amateurs can come up with multiple options more reasonable than "Keep it a Secret" in about 10 minutes....you know this is a bad campaign.

A little birdie who was at the press conference tells me the response in the room was tepid at best.

That's probably why Kurt Hassburger came right out of the gate with "Like it or not, blah blah blah....."

Woz, would you say the same for branding the locale of say Easttown or Uptown or Heartside? Hasn't the marketing for these areas help to strengthen the local businesses and communities?

Um ... err ... well ... I got nothin'. You're right, Nitro. The Uptown campaign really has built identity, but that's partially because there wasn't a strong sense of "Uptown" on which to build. Uptown is three neighborhoods, each with its own identity. Their proximity to one another really benefits all three, and that's what the Uptown campaign firmed up in people's minds.

Eastown has had a pretty strong identity as long as I've lived in Grand Rapids. It didn't need street banners and pedestrian maps. I have a great T-shirt from the 1994 Eastown Street Fair that says "Eastown is a state of mind." How's that for a slogan? It really connected with my idea of the neighborhood, even back then (I had just moved here).

You got me, Nitro. :thumbsup: I can see the benefit of branding a locale.

But I still think "Keep it a secret" sucks.

While eating dinner at Tapps last night with my fiance this topic came up. A little background: she's 3 credits from her communications/PR degree from GVSU. She currently works for a company in Spring Lake and is working on branding a web-based subsidiary for them. Before I could even get the 't' of 'Keep it a secreT' out of my mouth she said "I love it." She went on to explain how it creates a level of exclusivity and its one of the best original tag lines she's heard. She explained how it's going to make people wonder what's going on what their missing.

So yeah, take that for what it's worth. I guess I just don't get 'it,' maybe I need a PR/Advertising/Communications/etc degree to understand it.

A lot of people of a certain age and demo don't care what they're missing, and creating

a level of exclusivity is NOT going to get them to go downtown and find out.

Original and unique? Not so much, which is why a lot of us are objecting to it.

The city we love deserves something clever, not contrived.

While eating dinner at Tapps last night with my fiance this topic came up. A little background: she's 3 credits from her communications/PR degree from GVSU. She currently works for a company in Spring Lake and is working on branding a web-based subsidiary for them. Before I could even get the 't' of 'Keep it a secreT' out of my mouth she said "I love it." She went on to explain how it creates a level of exclusivity and its one of the best original tag lines she's heard. She explained how it's going to make people wonder what's going on what their missing.

So yeah, take that for what it's worth. I guess I just don't get 'it,' maybe I need a PR/Advertising/Communications/etc degree to understand it.

I was beginning to think I was completely crazy for liking it.

It's not bland like everything else we've been coming up with (sorry), its memorable and it doesn't have the sleaziness that the Vegas 'Happens here stays here' campaign does.

This may be the sad state of our PR/Advertising/Communications industry.

If you need a degree to "get it", and the rest of the world doesn't "get it" or "hates it"....perhaps one needs to step back and reassess the PR/Advertising/Communications function. It's not about talking to yourself or others just like you; it's about communicating to the rest of the world.

Please interpret this not as an attack on your fiancee, but as an attack on the brainiacs behind the current debacle.

A lot of people of a certain age and demo don't care what they're missing, and creating

Original and unique? Not so much, which is why a lot of us are objecting to it.

The city we love deserves something clever, not contrived.

Absolutely. There's a creative laziness to it. Sorry if the branding experts among us disagree.

As Dad said, if you need a "Branding Expert" to explain it, that means it isn't ready for public consumption.

It's not about talking to yourself or others just like you; it's about communicating to the rest of the world.

Please interpret this not as an attack on your fiancee, but as an attack on the brainiacs behind the current debacle.

I agree (and it doesn't look like an attack). Seems a bit odd... maybe it'll grow on us.

Remember, those who take surveys on a news channel's website and those who post about this stuff on online message boards represent a very small portion of the population.

Yeah there are a lot of those types of people around, but they're the type that aren't going to go downtown no matter how perfectly it's branded.

I agree (and it doesn't look like an attack). Seems a bit odd... maybe it'll grow on us.

Remember, those who take surveys on a news channel's website and those who post about this stuff on online message boards represent a very small portion of the population.

Not to lean on my wife too much, but when I shared this with her last night, her response was "Oh, no", along with the look of deep personal disappointment that I'm all too familiar with.

For the record, she's not the type to vote on a news channel's website or post about this stuff on online message boards. She's in the "other" category.

Yeah there are a lot of those types of people around, but they're the type that aren't going to go downtown no matter how perfectly it's branded.

That's the mindset that created the shhhh, it's a secret campaign. It doesn't work

that "ooooo, let's go find out what the secret is" - that's childish. Or, if it's the

exclusivity angle that H/M sought to express, then your comments fit in perfectly

with that - assuming a certain 'type' won't go downtown for entertainment/

shopping/sightseeing/work/ etc. A brand identity for a city should at least attempt

to be inclusive and 'a secret', no matter how you spin the idea of 'secret',

just doesn't do that. One should never "assume types", also know as stereotyping.

Not trying to overly emphasize political correctness, but this is branding the heart

of the city and encouraging all to experience it - something to keep in mind.

Ug.

If this becomes an elitist argument about those who "get it" and those who don't (also common to this agency's work), we have totally lost the thread.

One year from now, we all just need to make sure we measure results by progress in our downtown tax base, new retail and consumer foot traffic. What's missing in Grand Rapids is accountability for decisions -- the Alliance spent our money. We need to know what we got for it!!!

Winning ADDY awards and getting in design books doesn't help if the bottom line doesn't move.

I'm so confused.

If we're trying to encourage the rebirth of our downtown by incentivizing investors and developers to renovate buildings (which need rent paying tenants to be viable) why would we send the message that we want that kept 'secret.' ??

Is it because we want the beautifully renovated structures kept vacant so as not to drive additional economic vitality ?? Or maybe as a way to say "just kidding" to all the investors we encouraged to do all the work ?

I"ve missed the message here. Seems like a really unlikely, nonsensical response to such a newly-vibrant urban center.

Never have understood some of these 'catchy' (read: corny) marketing gimmicks--

I'm underwhelmed !

City branding campaigns are thankless and difficult at best. As we all know, Grand Rapids has absolutely no city identity whatsoever outside of our city limits. Most Detroiters think we're a rafting town in West Virginia. Grand Rapids' identity only becomes more vague as you travel outside of the state.

How many times have you used the phrase "GR is the best kept secret in the state, or the Midwest, or the country?" I've always talked about GR in those terms. This brand amplifies that concept in a clever way.

I would just remind those of you who have expressed dissatisfaction with the brand so far that this is simply the first small step of a multi-year and deliberate process.

I've read most of the negative comments about the brand here. No one has suggested an alternative that would satisfy the nay-sayers that post within this forum, much less all Grand Rapidians. It is a thankless pursuit. Just an observation.

It's fine to cast stones, but slow down a bit. A journey is not completed in one single step.

For 15+ years, brave downtown souls have risked everything to build arenas, convention centers, museums, hotels, research institutes, restaurants, galleries, bars, coffee shops, retail storefronts, etc, etc, etc. We're still growing. We have a revitalized downtown that is exploding with growth in residential and commerical ventures. We all benefit from their collective efforts that have made downtown GR so great.

I personally like "keep it a secret". It's not perfect, nothing ever is. It's simply a firm launcing pad and platform for more creative concepts down the road...to be rolled out soon...stayed tuned.

For 15+ years, brave downtown souls have risked everything to build arenas, convention centers, museums, hotels, research institutes, restaurants, galleries, bars, coffee shops, retail storefronts, etc, etc, etc. We're still growing. We have a revitalized downtown that is exploding with growth in residential and commerical ventures. We all benefit from their collective efforts that have made downtown GR so great.

Yeah, fine...we know. We read the press release...

This from TV8:

"The group is not putting together a more comprehensive marketing campaign to push the branding effort."

Sure, people should be patient. However, we should also hold those who spent the money accountable for the long-term results.

Maybe this is one of those tiered ad campaigns that begin with one statement

and end with another, so the 'secret' becomes not so secret, then, viola'!

everyone knows about it. Still not buying it. These little vignettes, or stories,

rolling out one over the other to build up to a final statement sometimes

work, but when they fail, they fail badly, AND expensively. 82 grand could be

payment for just the beginning...how much will a larger campaign add up to?

Two or three wrongs don't make a right. Thankless? Not when you're being

paid.

I've read most of the negative comments about the brand here. No one has suggested an alternative that would satisfy the nay-sayers that post within this forum, much less all Grand Rapidians. It is a thankless pursuit. Just an observation.

Well, there's now a thread devoted to alternate ideas.

You've explained the slogan a little bit, but what's up with the logo?

Wow, I am at a complete loss for words with this one. It's like those really bad advertisements that make a pathetic, half-assed attempt at some kind of childish humor, and when you finish watching you say "someone actually thought that was funny?!"

It's obviously not meant for literal interpretation, but the logo/slogan doesn't communicate that. This is really stupid.

I agree with PR-15 and that dude's girlfriend. It's great. Because it requires everyone who sees and reads it to ask "Why?"

"Keep it a secret."

"Why?"

"Because it's so awesome."

"What's so flippin' awesome about it?"

"There's this great restaurant down there and ....."

You pique curiosity with that statement and suddenly you have people engaged in a conversation about the awesomeness of downtown Grand Rapids. Even if it's a sarcastic "why," you're now open a door to change someone's perception.

Engagement increases the likelihood of commitment and the logo/slogan starts the conversation.

I've never referred to my hometown as being a "best-kept secret", nor have I ever

heard anyone who is from here use that phrase. I have heard it used over many

years by people who move here and wonder why they didn't know much about GR

before that. The statement was made as a joke, not as a wow.

It seems that this branding is meant to showcase the way the downtown area is now

and what it has to offer those who live here, those who are visiting here, and to entice

those who book conventions to come here. We don't want to be a secret...or to be

represented as having been a secret - that is a negative and building on that negative

is very difficult to express creatively funny or clever. Clearly, here, it just doesn't work.

Archived