Downtown Grand Rapids Branding Campaign

GR_Urbanist

I think you are right: the suggestions were not bold enough. The other aspect was timing. The other part was quality. Detroit engaged several nationally recognized firm to produce the reports (and the funding to immediately begin implementation). 

The Detroit plan has a comprehensive plan that produces many activating strategies within each sub-district of downtown, focused on retail, placemaking and redevelopment. There is a tremendous amount of energy and accelerating optimism centered on downtown Detroit. Back in the early 2000's, I always considered downtown Ann Arbor as Michigan's best downtown. Later in the decade until now, I considered downtown GR the best. It appears that downtown Detroit will regain its rightful crown here shortly. 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are right: the suggestions were not bold enough. The other aspect was timing. The other part was quality. Detroit engaged several nationally recognized firm to produce the reports (and the funding to immediately begin implementation). 

The Detroit plan has a comprehensive plan that produces many activating strategies within each sub-district of downtown, focused on retail, placemaking and redevelopment. There is a tremendous amount of energy and accelerating optimism centered on downtown Detroit. Back in the early 2000's, I always considered downtown Ann Arbor as Michigan's best downtown. Later in the decade until now, I considered downtown GR the best. It appears that downtown Detroit will regain its rightful crown here shortly. 

The Grand Rapids group enlisted the help of Jeff Speck, who is one of the country's foremost experts on placemaking initiatives. http://www.jeffspeck.com/

But I think you're right. There were 10 other areas he was looking at, unfortunately we only heard about one of them (Lyon reconstruction), which probably was not coincidentally picked because of its proximity to the building that houses Reserve and the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel.

I consistently hear people lament the inactivity on the riverfront. I think the city needs a bold invigoration of the riverfront, involving every square inch that sits in the "public realm" and museum properties. There's still money in this town, but they basically need to be advised where to spend it.

This should probably go back to the "branding" campaign discussion.

Hear it more from one more person!: the single greatest thing GR, its taxpayers, and patrons could do for the future economic and environmental success of the community is to develop and implement a  bold and ambitious strategic plan for the Grand River. I would explore the entire length within the City boundaries. This plan would include improvements that activate the river-front with buildings that embrace the river, connect and expand and activate the walk, and embrace Vancouver-style set-backs that ensure active public access parks along the entire riverfront. 

The dam removal and kayak runs proposed within the river set the foundation for the scale of ambition required along the river's edge. If $27 million is going to be spent on the river itself, then $270 million is the minimum amount needed along the river (this would include development).

...now I will go back branding (i.e. lipstick on the pig)

Hear it more from one more person!: the single greatest thing GR, its taxpayers, and patrons could do for the future economic and environmental success of the community is to develop and implement a  bold and ambitious strategic plan for the Grand River. I would explore the entire length within the City boundaries. This plan would include improvements that activate the river-front with buildings that embrace the river, connect and expand and activate the walk, and embrace Vancouver-style set-backs that ensure active public access parks along the entire riverfront. 

The dam removal and kayak runs proposed within the river set the foundation for the scale of ambition required along the river's edge. If $27 million is going to be spent on the river itself, then $270 million is the minimum amount needed along the river (this would include development).

...now I will go back branding (i.e. lipstick on the pig)

With $270 Million you could create a world-class riverfront. Detroit's new riverfront is spectacular, if you haven't walked it or biked it yet. While the city of Detroit has some massive struggles, their downtown projects are kicking some major ass.

The lots between Market and the River are quite deep, and I think it would be physically feasible to create a new road right along the riverfront there between Fulton and Wealthy.  Give it a wide, wooden sidewalk on the river side hanging over the river a few feet.. a boardwalk.  Add a pedestrian connection across the river into Millennium Park at one point.  Create a design-based planning code for it.. similar architectural style for all buildings along the street.  Sign on some major retailers to the project to anchor both ends of the street.

Now we just need Faust to come in with his non-existent money to fund it.  But seriously, there's huge potential in that stretch, I think, and aside from THAT debacle, I don't think anyone's come forward with any real vision for it.

The lots between Market and the River are quite deep, and I think it would be physically feasible to create a new road right along the riverfront there between Fulton and Wealthy.  Give it a wide, wooden sidewalk on the river side hanging over the river a few feet.. a boardwalk.  Add a pedestrian connection across the river into Millennium Park at one point.  Create a design-based planning code for it.. similar architectural style for all buildings along the street.  Sign on some major retailers to the project to anchor both ends of the street.

Now we just need Faust to come in with his non-existent money to fund it.  But seriously, there's huge potential in that stretch, I think, and aside from THAT debacle, I don't think anyone's come forward with any real vision for it.

That's not true, Tony.  This was one of the ASP areas for Green Grand Rapids.  It was selected precisely to avoid another Faustian (hah!) debacle.

http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Documents/12285_201_Market_Final_Report.pdf

Wow, I've never seen that before. At least I don't remember it.

Yes.  Before scrolling through it today, I hadn't realized quite the detail of the work that was done.  But, I do remember seeing a bunch of the massing drawings on big displays at a couple of the Green Grand Rapids public meetings I attended.

Archived