Downtown Grand Rapids Branding Campaign

GR_Urbanist

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beyond just hating this idea and its lazy, "explanation please?" execution (... the orage represents the Calder and the blue represents the water ... Come on!).

I'm about to direct my rage (a little too dramatic? ... how about "my distaste"?) ... OK, my distaste at this whole stupid concept of branding a locale.

Downtown Grand Rapids already has a brand ... its catch phrase is simply "Downtown Grand Rapids." To those of us who love Downtown Grand Rapids, those three words -- a clean and elegant phrase -- deliver a tremendously powerful message. They conjur images of exciting sporting events and concerts, fabulous dining, great museums, scenic walks ... in short, loads of sh*t to do.

The Downtown Alliance didn't need to pay somebody to come up with a brand for downtown. They needed to pay somebody to communicate our love of the naturally existing "brand" of Downtown Grand Rapids to those who are indifferent or even ignorant to the reasons why we love it. Cigarettes need branding because without connecting that product to positive imagery, why in hell would anyone light something on fire and suck on it? Our downtown should be an easy sell. This marketing bunk is a waste.

I take back what I said about rage. My feelings on this matter go beyond distaste. I'd say I'm raging about this. Yep. Definitely raging.

I'm beyond just hating this idea and its lazy, "explanation please?" execution (... the orage represents the Calder and the blue represents the water ... Come on!).

I'm about to direct my rage (a little too dramatic? ... how about "my distaste"?) ... OK, my distaste at this whole stupid concept of branding a locale.

Downtown Grand Rapids already has a brand ... its catch phrase is simply "Downtown Grand Rapids." To those of us who love Downtown Grand Rapids, those three words -- a clean and elegant phrase -- deliver a tremendously powerful message. They conjur images of exciting sporting events and concerts, fabulous dining, great museums, scenic walks ... in short, loads sh*t to do.

The Downtown Alliance didn't need to pay somebody to come up with a brand for downtown. They needed to pay somebody to communicate our love of the naturally existing "brand" of Downtown Grand Rapids to those who are indifferent or even ignorant to the reasons why we love it. Cigarettes need branding because without connecting that product to positive imagery, why in hell would anyone light something on fire and suck on it? Our downtown should be an easy sell. This marketing bunk is a waste.

I take back what I said about rage. My feelings on this matter go beyond distaste. I'd say I'm raging about this. Yep. Definitely raging.

You have the power of pen/keyboard woz. Put it to use before it's too late.

Imagine a blank screen on TV... Out of the black screen you hear: cars honking, people talking, the firetruck sirens, construction sounds, cheering fans on their way to The Van, people having a good time, etc... Then out of the blank screen fades to an up shot at the various well known buildings downtown. Scenes of people on Futlton near the bars on a Saturday night... I'm talking a spread of imagery that shows the "colors" of downtown. Maybe even flyovers the skyline during dusk - then fades to black showing white text: "Welcome to Downtown Grand Rapids." End comercial.

Not only would that sell Grand Rapids for me, it would put a shiver down my spine. This isn't something that should be done instead of the above campaign, but TV ads would be great for the local community that hasn't yet vertured into DTGR.

I really can't believe someone made $82,000 doing that campaign. Does that $82K get banners, stickers and other promo items? If it's just for design time, I'm in the wrong line of work. :angry:

I think it's pretty bad that the PR firm that was hired for $82k probably needs a PR Firm to handle this debacle :angry:

Can you say "NEW COKE"

Put a stop payment on that check :huh:

Maybe they should have waited till the spring UP meet-up to get some AWESOME ideas.

This is just sad :cry:

The logo looks dated. Not as in retro-cool, instead as in lazily conceived

and boringly-dull. Hanon McKendry is usually a class act. They failed

on this one.

The slogan is manipulative, childish, and carries the heavy burden of negativity.

From a creepy perspective, what does a predator say to a child, but

"Keep it a secret." Really stupid campaign at worst, poorly thought out at best.

Hey Hanon McKendry, Hire ME.

i know i said my peace early but,........ now that my head is cooled i will tell you what I really think, I feel let down, almost betrayed by these so called locals.... FOr someone who truly appreciates GR like myself its like this is a lie, a terrible representation of who we are. GR is truly GRAND to me not some hidden little alcove that is some great secret. very cheap and an irresposible act on the part of HM in being the people to "show" us off to the world.... HM you should feel ashamend. :(

Forget about RiverGrand -- did anyone run THIS trash past the "families" of GR?

Imagine it:

"Okay, Mr. DeVos, if you sort of squint and turn your head, you see how the logo pulls you into the true power curve of the brand...while the "yang" of the seemingly brainless tagline creates exactly the kind of cognitive dissonace we need to bring Grand Rapids into the consideration set of generation Z..."

Yeah, and that will be $82,000.

The Top 10 Taglines (of the 10 million better than "Keep It A Secret")
  1. Got milk?
    1993 – California Milk Processor Board
  2. Don't leave home without it.
    1975 – American Express
  3. Just do it.
    1988 – Nike
  4. Where's the beef?
    1984 – Wendy's
  5. You're in good hands with Allstate.
    1956 – Allstate Insurance
  6. Think different.
    1998 – Apple Computer
  7. We try harder.
    1962 – Avis
  8. Tastes great, less filling.
    1974 – Miller Lite
  9. Melts in your mouth, not in your hands.
    1954 – M&M Candies
  10. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
    1956 – Timex

11. Say YES to Michigan

12. YES! M!CH!GAN!

13. ...priceless.

(Mastercard)

Thoughts from a marketing guy -

1. It's a pedestrian version of Las Vegas' classic "What happens in Vegas" slogan.

2. It has no identity. I cannot see a single element that could be pulled and used in an interesting way.

3. As Woz said, Orange for Calder, blue for water. Been there, done that.

4. The type is horrible. Not only is it unreadable, it is uninspired at the best.

5. Uptown's brand identity is perfect. This is far from perfect. Can we switch? (Just kidding G3)

6. I think they actually intended to say "Keep it Secret so the strippers, gays and democrats stay out". They probably had to shorten it because of the budget crunch (saves on printing costs).

Hanon-McKendry usually does pretty good work. I'm surprised. It's like Grand Rapids is the kid who wants to use all the hip words, but just ends up sounding like an idiot.

Joe

Would you as a restaurateur incorporate this logo with your business?

How will the Monroe Center look with 40 banners waving the "keep it a secret" banner?

My fiance came home and told me the logo reminded her of a giant olive. My guess is the restaurants will just have display martinis prominently in thier menus in order to incorporate the logo in with their business.

I'm just wondering what they will do with the VanAndel Arena to incorporate it in with the tagline. Pull a giant blue tarp over it and wrap it in duct tape?

Shhhhhhh, it's a secret...

I did notice in the Press that this was tongue-in-cheek and step 1 of a multi-step effort.

The creative firm involved is very good. Maybe they're playing with us to get people talking and the tagline will change in future steps.

Given the media attention over the last "secret" we had in downtown GR, that might not be a bad approach.

Hanon-McKendry usually does pretty good work. I'm surprised.

As someone who has paid a lot of marketing guys for their work, I would say give some of the blame to HM, but the lion's share of this particular Darwin Award goes to the Downtown Alliance.

Ad agencies at every level should always be challenged to come up with a wide range of ideas for client consideration. Including crazy stuff. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the client to push back and be able to tell when something is totally off the beam for the task at hand.

As has been noted on this board, goofy, expensive and really obscure work from this particular firm isn't exactly a surprise. Every so often they make it work -- but not this time (!!)

I'm not for beating up on the agency. I would actually be curious to see some of the boards that never made it out of their offices.

The Downtown Alliance has the accountability here for not sending their agency back to the drawing board and getting it right. They blew it. It was an expensive lesson for downtown. But the biggest cost won't be the $82K -- it will be the time lost on an errant campaign while other cities tell their story more effectively.

I heard three radio ads for Indiana today and they were fantastic. Actually made me want to go to Indiana (which has never been the case). Now that is what a good ad campaign is all about!

Joe

Years ago Illinois ran ads that said, "Just outside of Chicago there's a place called Illinois." They were very nicely done (I still remember them after about 30 years).

How about this. Since I don't have any graphics programs, imagine a bubble with "Downtown Grand Rapids" in it, then six bubbles attached to it at different angles:

Work

Play

Study

Meet

Shop

Live

Sort of like Electrons around the nucleus of an atom.

Atom_structure_electron2.gif

It's not a catchy "tagline", but I think it sums up what we have all said is critical for a successful downtown.

That will be one six pack of Oberon for my services please. :D

Woz, would you say the same for branding the locale of say Easttown or Uptown or Heartside? Hasn't the marketing for these areas help to strengthen the local businesses and communities?

Archived