Old Maureens space

gs3

I knew the old Maureens space had been boarded up and they were working on it. Walking by this morning, I notice that behind the wood fronting, the entire building has not only been gutted, but simply torn down. This is only a 30 foot wide sliver, so whatever replaces it can't be very tall. Anybody know what's going in this spot? This may have been posted and I've missed.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew the old Maureens space had been boarded up and they were working on it. Walking by this morning, I notice that behind the wood fronting, the entire building has not only been gutted, but simply torn down. This is only a 30 foot wide sliver, so whatever replaces it can't be very tall. Anybody know what's going in this spot? This may have been posted and I've missed.

What is this place your speaking of and where is it located?

Also next to Marble Slab Creamery, for those who don't know where Sharkey's Pub is located. Another easy landmark is Mast General Store, just across Main Street. You can't miss the plywood cover hiding whatever will go into that space. I suppose we'll learn what it will be before too long. ;)

• 2 months later...

I'm really curious what this will be. The old building was completely torn down behind the wood facade, and now a replacement building is going up in it's place. Anybody know? Could it be Greenville's first "Sliver" skyscraper? :P Just dreaming......

Since the new roof is clearly visible above the temporary construction wall, I would say that it won't go any higher than one or two stories.

An interesting thing to note is that just behind this building, the former Brown Street Antiques building is also experiencing a total renovation. Although I doubt they are connected, I found it interesting.

BrownStreetAntiques_01.jpg

Another vacant building just down Brown Street that I really love is this one at the corner of Washington and Brown.

Building_01.jpg

I heard through the grapvine that whatever is happening here is like 2 stories and the top floor with be residential. That's all I've heard though and that was just in casual conversation- so i havent looked into this or checked any sources. i forget if i was told of the function of the street level space, if it would be a resturant or a store...???

I just wanted to comment on one of the pictures- I hope that the Brown Street Antiques store is being redone for a tenant and not for spec... I sure wish the building next to it would get some attention. If the windows were replaced and a nice paint job was applied it'd be quite a beautiful building i think. maybe someday

Off topic, but does anyone else think that the BS antiques looks like it belongs more so in the West End rather than in the City Center-- which i believe is what it is offially called between the North End and West End... :)

• 2 weeks later...

There are Public Hearing signs posted not ON but in front of the Woolworth building. Somebody call the planning office and see what's going on. It may not be a change to the building itself, since the posters were in the planter s in front.

That would really be bad, IMO.

An interesting thing to note is that just behind this building, the former Brown Street Antiques building is also experiencing a total renovation. Although I doubt they are connected, I found it interesting.

BrownStreetAntiques_01.jpg

Another vacant building just down Brown Street that I really love is this one at the corner of Washington and Brown.

I read in one of the dealmaker sections in one of the papers that this will be a antique shop.

There are Public Hearing signs posted not ON but in front of the Woolworth building. Somebody call the planning office and see what's going on. It may not be a change to the building itself, since the posters were in the planter s in front.

My guess is that it's for the proposed Parker High School monument. I think it's supposed to be on that corner.

Archived