McDonald County tidbit

KJW

Neosho (county seat of Newton county) is part of the Joplin MSA. The far south side of Joplin (including the exits along I-44 and attendant businesses) is in Newton County.

The fact that Neosho is trying to attract NWA customers when its a dozen miles away from Joplin really says a lot. :shok:

BTW, the McDonald's is now open in Jane, MO and it sure looks quite busy...

That is weird. Granted Joplin isn't the size of NWA but I've thought Joplin has been growing nicely as well. Although I guess maybe the fact that so far it hasn't helped Neosho grow at all the past couple of decades. Maybe they've given up on Joplin and going to NWA to see if they could help spur some growth. But like Matt said, it's not real close. But I guess it's closer to part of the metro than Ft Smith so I guess there's potential there. I wonder if it might set itself up as a place for people to find cheaper homes and then commute to NWA to work.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did some research and found out that Neosho is more than 50 miles from Rogers. I don't see how they're going to try and bank off of NWA's growth.

I lived in KC one summer and used to travel back and forth to see my then-girlfriend on occasion and I always stopped and ate at the Quizno's in Neosho to take a break (for some reason they had one well before Arkansas did).

That's 45 minutes of backwards Missouri away from NWA. Some of those towns in McDonald Co along US 71 are much worse than anything you'd see in rural Arkansas. Getting back to the point, though, that's right next to Joplin and much closer to Springfield than NWA. I don't see the potential tie-in.

I lived in KC one summer and used to travel back and forth to see my then-girlfriend on occasion and I always stopped and ate at the Quizno's in Neosho to take a break (for some reason they had one well before Arkansas did).

That's 45 minutes of backwards Missouri away from NWA. Some of those towns in McDonald Co along US 71 are much worse than anything you'd see in rural Arkansas. Getting back to the point, though, that's right next to Joplin and much closer to Springfield than NWA. I don't see the potential tie-in.

Seems odd then that the city is looking to NWA and not Springfield then. The only thing I can think of is the fact that they see it as so far nothing has been going on as other areas not far away are booming like Springfield/Branson and NWA. Maybe the Springfield/Branson option has been working so far so they decided to go for the NWA option. You would think that there's plenty of potential in McDonald County first before you make your way up to Neosho in Newton County.

Seems odd then that the city is looking to NWA and not Springfield then. The only thing I can think of is the fact that they see it as so far nothing has been going on as other areas not far away are booming like Springfield/Branson and NWA. Maybe the Springfield/Branson option has been working so far so they decided to go for the NWA option. You would think that there's plenty of potential in McDonald County first before you make your way up to Neosho in Newton County.

That area has historically been a lot different than Springfield in many ways. Joplin was an old mining community while Springfield is/was more agriculturally based. Springfield was/is in the St. Louis major trading area according to Rand McNally, while Joplin/Newton/McDonald was/is in the Kansas City MTA...Springfield's huge basic trading area takes in a CHUNK of south Missouri and far north Arkansas, while Joplin's takes in a chunk of southeast Kansas, Miami, OK (Ottawa County) and only the five counties straddling the southwest part of Missouri's western border. In just the past couple of years the Springfield paper seems to have been trying to at least add more Joplin/McDonald coverage, so in a strange way it's the reverse of what we're speculating...Springfield's trying to crack the Joplin market.

Aporkalypse, I think one of the most astonishing sights at the end of this decade in the NWA metro will be Jane, MO. In Y2K it was pretty much Macadoodle's and that stupid Missouri H.O.T.S. strip club and that was it. Now that place is becoming lit up at night by all the businesses there. A man today, though, was shaking his head at how all that business still gets its mail from the Pineville, MO post office because there's no post office down there, though perhaps not for long.

Fun fact: in the 1980s, Caverna, MO, the unincorporated community where the Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Macadoodles, Wal-Mart computer center, Hendren Autoplex, etc. all sit got its mail service from Hiwasse, AR.

The quote in the article said they were "reaching out" to NWA as well as Kansas and Oklahoma in trying to grow. It detailed the lack of population growth all the way back to 1960. Though the article was slanted to NWA it sounded to me like Neosho was just trying to branch out by trying to make connections throughout the extended area, not just Springfield-Branson or NWA.

There's a Neosho billboard along U.S. 412 eastbound in Tontitown, touting the good life, trout fishing, etc.. "Just minutes away from NWA".

I saw that and thought it odd that they are trying to sell themselves as a bedroom community to Bentonville.

Sure, it's a little cheaper but so are a lot of areas that are closer.

I think the biggest barrier to McDonald Co's growth (and other nearby areas further away like Neosho) is that the schools are clearly inferior to the large NWA schools. I can't fathom leaving Bentonville's school district for Anderson or Neosho.

Sure, it's a little cheaper but so are a lot of areas that are closer.

I think the biggest barrier to McDonald Co's growth (and other nearby areas further away like Neosho) is that the schools are clearly inferior to the large NWA schools. I can't fathom leaving Bentonville's school district for Anderson or Neosho.

It's funny...for many reasons, perhaps a few of them valid, Missouri was always perceived to be "ahead" of Arkansas. When you look at certain comparisons such as teacher pay, one could understand this perception in the past.

Yet you look at the facilities places like Rogers, Bentonville and even Gravette have built, then go across the line and look at McDonald County and Neosho using high school facilities 30-40 years old...it's pretty sobering. Heck, Springfield's not had a new high school built since around 1972. Then compare a place like Crowder College and NWACC, both 2 year schools. Look who's building and look who doesn't appear to be...

FWIW, Neosho car dealerships have been running ads on KNWA next to Lighting Emporium's "Gabi the barking dog" for the past few years it seems.

I think if you take the state as a whole Missouri is, but yeah there's certainly sections of Missouri that aren't the greatest either.

I think McDonald Co's as bad as any part of Arkansas, at least from what you see driving up 71 to KC.

NWA, Ft Smith, and Central Arkansas are nice. There are just some very economically depressed parts of the state overriding progress in these areas.

I think McDonald Co's as bad as any part of Arkansas, at least from what you see driving up 71 to KC.

NWA, Ft Smith, and Central Arkansas are nice. There are just some very economically depressed parts of the state overriding progress in these areas.

As a whole I think the Ozark region is a pretty hot spot. Not just NWA and the Springfield/Branson area. Although it obviously hasn't affected every spot in the Ozarks. But I think even without NWA's or Springfield/Branson's influence things will improve around southwest Missouri.

That's 45 minutes of backwards Missouri away from NWA. Some of those towns in McDonald Co along US 71 are much worse than anything you'd see in rural Arkansas.

Having lived in Joplin and traveled extensively through McDonald County, and lived in Northwest Arkansas, and traveled often from Fayetteville to West Memphis, I can assure you, that any town in McDonald County off of 71 is heads and heels above some of the spots off of I-40 in Arkansas. Granted, McDonald County has not been flooded yet with the excessive and ugly cookie cutter housing developments built on top of each other like in NWA, but I believe that to be more a boon than a bust.

Its a rather sad thing to watch the growth from NWA flow into the county. Its a very beautiful place with good honest hardworking people. I'm originally from Charlottesville, Va, and the beauty of the county matches anything I grew up admiring.

Having lived in Joplin and traveled extensively through McDonald County, and lived in Northwest Arkansas, and traveled often from Fayetteville to West Memphis, I can assure you, that any town in McDonald County off of 71 is heads and heels above some of the spots off of I-40 in Arkansas. Granted, McDonald County has not been flooded yet with the excessive and ugly cookie cutter housing developments built on top of each other like in NWA, but I believe that to be more a boon than a bust.

Its a rather sad thing to watch the growth from NWA flow into the county. Its a very beautiful place with good honest hardworking people. I'm originally from Charlottesville, Va, and the beauty of the county matches anything I grew up admiring.

Rebel, I can't disagree.

I grew up in Springfield and was blessed that my parents took me to the old (and sadly, dilapidated last I saw) Ginger Blue restaurant on the banks of the river. I've always thought McDonald to be one of the prettiest (and least known) spots in the state.

Back to Neosho...KHBS/KHOG did a story on their efforts, and the Benton County Record ran an editorial on same yesterday with a tone that was almost "atta-boy".

I'd say the P.R. firm Neosho has hired has done a good job so far...now, the question is, doe the city have things worth driving up for from NWA the way Jane/Caverna, MO (at a shorter distance) does?

I'd say the P.R. firm Neosho has hired has done a good job so far...now, the question is, doe the city have things worth driving up for from NWA the way Jane/Caverna, MO (at a shorter distance) does?

That is a good question. I was just in Neosho a few days ago, and while I like the town, I'm not sure if there's much in Neosho that can't be readily found in NWA. If coming from Jane, there are plenty of things, but I don't think it'd be worth the trip for someone from NWA.

I'd say it's only chance is to go for the cheaper homes and cheaper cost of living angle. But that still mainly just turns it more into a bedroom community. But if they're wanting growth I suppose that's better than nothing.

After consideration, I believe a bedroom community is exactly what they're aiming for. It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to reach the state line from Neosho off of 71. After they finish the bypass around Pineville, it'll probably take even less time.

After consideration, I believe a bedroom community is exactly what they're aiming for. It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to reach the state line from Neosho off of 71. After they finish the bypass around Pineville, it'll probably take even less time.

While a lot of places might not want to go that direction I suppose it is an improvement in a sense of the direction they're heading now. It does bring some growth. But I have to say I agree with some of the others. Seems like McDonald County would have a better shot at building up some bedroom communities rather than Neosho in Newton County. And as Aporkalypse stated the schools there in southwest Missouri don't really come close to the ones in NWA. Might be a hard sell.

While a lot of places might not want to go that direction I suppose it is an improvement in a sense of the direction they're heading now. It does bring some growth. But I have to say I agree with some of the others. Seems like McDonald County would have a better shot at building up some bedroom communities rather than Neosho in Newton County. And as Aporkalypse stated the schools there in southwest Missouri don't really come close to the ones in NWA. Might be a hard sell.

In truth, the bedroom community is probably on the verge of exploding into existence in McDonald County. The increasing development and rising land value are pretty much harbingers of whats to come. The people will be coming to the county and from the south, as evident from the Jane/Caverna mini-explosion going on. Regarding the school system, it certainly is not a dump as some folks are inclined to believe. It has produced a number of professionals, such as lawyers, doctors, engineers, and military officers. I personally know of one graduate wrapping up a law degree down at Baylor, a graduate who has become a vet, and another finishing an MA at Arkansas. Lastly, there's a number of graduates who you'll find working at the Wal-Mart and Sam's Club home offices down in Bentonville.

A local paper recently ran an article which estimated that the county high school school population will boom to around 10,000 students over the next few years. Just like NWA, the influx of new students (most likely children of people working in NWA), will in turn result in an increase tax revenue that will funnel into the school system to make it just as good as Bentonville's school. (Before Wal-Mart exploded, I doubt the school system was much different than the present McDonald County system).

Basically, lower costs of living, beautiful surroundings, will lead thousands into the county, with the end result that the school system will catch up. In turn, this will just feed a continuing cycle.

And no, I'm not being paid. I just happen to know some folks in the county and I want to make sure its fairly represented.

In truth, the bedroom community is probably on the verge of exploding into existence in McDonald County. The increasing development and rising land value are pretty much harbingers of whats to come. The people will be coming to the county and from the south, as evident from the Jane/Caverna mini-explosion going on. Regarding the school system, it certainly is not a dump as some folks are inclined to believe. It has produced a number of professionals, such as lawyers, doctors, engineers, and military officers. I personally know of one graduate wrapping up a law degree down at Baylor, a graduate who has become a vet, and another finishing an MA at Arkansas. Lastly, there's a number of graduates who you'll find working at the Wal-Mart and Sam's Club home offices down in Bentonville.

A local paper recently ran an article which estimated that the county high school school population will boom to around 10,000 students over the next few years. Just like NWA, the influx of new students (most likely children of people working in NWA), will in turn result in an increase tax revenue that will funnel into the school system to make it just as good as Bentonville's school. (Before Wal-Mart exploded, I doubt the school system was much different than the present McDonald County system).

Basically, lower costs of living, beautiful surroundings, will lead thousands into the county, with the end result that the school system will catch up. In turn, this will just feed a continuing cycle.

And no, I'm not being paid. I just happen to know some folks in the county and I want to make sure its fairly represented.

Rebelat, the HIGH SCHOOL population in the Mac will be about 10,000?

Wow...

Indeed, Lincoln Junior high in Bentonville was the high school in the 1980s, and Old High was the h.s. before that.

Missouri is starting to catch on. There've been some very nice schools opened this year in Willard (Springfield suburb) and Aurora (Springfield bedroom community in Lawrence County above Monett). If McDonald starts to do the same (and they have to be amazed at the $$$ that Jane is bringing in) that will affect how that part of NWA is viewed.

Here's another weird thing...today at the road at the north entrance to the Jane Wal-Mart, just southeast of the McDonald's, was a man who had one of those (essentially) "Will work for food" signs.

I would not be surprised in the least, as long as land prices don't get out of hand. If/when utilities are available, nothing will hold back the wave of growth. Cost of living is a big issue for the non-Pinnacle crowd. There are other issues at play as well, but I think that is the big one.

Today at the McDonald County WalMart I saw a woman in chador (? - or whatever they call that non-face-covering piece of clothing that a muslim woman wears)...she looked to be of north african or arabic descent.

This place still frigging amazes me. (And I'm glad that store had power, especially since north central BV a mile north didn't at the time.)

Today at the McDonald County WalMart I saw a woman in chador (? - or whatever they call that non-face-covering piece of clothing that a muslim woman wears)...she looked to be of north african or arabic descent.

This place still frigging amazes me. (And I'm glad that store had power, especially since north central BV a mile north didn't at the time.)

I guess you guys up there are getting freezing rain. I haven't seen anything down here in Fayetteville except cold rain.

I guess you guys up there are getting freezing rain. I haven't seen anything down here in Fayetteville except cold rain.

We've had a thick coating of ice on our trees since Saturday afternoon. It's pretty bad up here (we live on the edge of Bentonville/Bella Vista). Our power has been out since about 2:30 this afternoon. We were prepared this time, and are lucky to have a fireplace, gas cooktop, and a generator which powers this computer, the TV, a couple of lamps, and heaters for my husband's saltwater aquarium. It's slightly chilly, but otherwise we're fairly comfortable. Our big worry are the trees. So many have fallen, and one just missed our big bathroom window by about a foot. The back side of our house has a 26 foot wall, mostly glass, with a huge tree at the edge of the deck (about 10 feet from the house). We're really nervous about that one. Thank God it's a healthy tree, so hopefully it will hold up.

I've heard that pretty much all of Gravette is without power, as well as much of Decatur and Bella Vista. We've resigned ourselves to at least a day or two of this. Just talked to my parents, and apparently all my siblings and their families are crowded into their 2000 sq ft house, due to power outages. 14 people, including 6 month old twins. Ack! They invited us to come as well, but I think we'll stay put! :D

We've had a thick coating of ice on our trees since Saturday afternoon. It's pretty bad up here (we live on the edge of Bentonville/Bella Vista). Our power has been out since about 2:30 this afternoon. We were prepared this time, and are lucky to have a fireplace, gas cooktop, and a generator which powers this computer, the TV, a couple of lamps, and heaters for my husband's saltwater aquarium. It's slightly chilly, but otherwise we're fairly comfortable. Our big worry are the trees. So many have fallen, and one just missed our big bathroom window by about a foot. The back side of our house has a 26 foot wall, mostly glass, with a huge tree at the edge of the deck (about 10 feet from the house). We're really nervous about that one. Thank God it's a healthy tree, so hopefully it will hold up.

I've heard that pretty much all of Gravette is without power, as well as much of Decatur and Bella Vista. We've resigned ourselves to at least a day or two of this. Just talked to my parents, and apparently all my siblings and their families are crowded into their 2000 sq ft house, due to power outages. 14 people, including 6 month old twins. Ack! They invited us to come as well, but I think we'll stay put! :D

God Bless! I pray your power is restored soon and your family is safe.

Archived