Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tombarnes

Paradise Bay

11 posts in this topic

This may have been mentioned in the general Coast thread, but this major project is scheduled to break ground in October. The description in the article is at odds with the projection depicted in the other thread.

Sun Herald

Construction on parts of this project appears to be moving forward, even if the matter of incorporation has not been settled. Ditto for the high-rise towers.

The Sun Herald

Wow, this is incredible for Waveland. A commercial resort district. You will not be able to recognize in a few years all those high-rises.

That is great news for Mississippi! A lot of that state is so much more then the general media or Hollywood would have you believe. Congrats on that beautiful development!

Wow :w00t:

Two towers, consisting of 44 stories each, totaling 3,500,000 square feet

More on this enormous project from the The Sea Coast Echo

This is beign fought by Waveland and Bay St Louis. The architecture and building types have nothing to do with either the traditions of the area or New Urbanism. I know this forum loves high rises, but they don't belong everywhere - there are other ways to get density than vertical cul-de-sacs.

It appears that there may be problems with the development team. The Brothers Kern might have a few skeletons in their closet....

MSNBC

Whatever the protests of the developers may be, this article does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about the project or the company. Throw them out and find a new developer!

The Sea Coast Echo

The Breezes of Paradise Bay- Paving Paradise?

I had thought that this project was all but dead, but it pops up again in an article from the Christian Science Monitor. While I have written in favor of high-rise developments under certain circumstances, I remain skeptical that this project would indeed be good for the area. The obvious advantages of high-rise buildings have in withstanding storms and their economic feasibility may be outweighed by their overwhelming impact on an area otherwise undeveloped. The coast must have districts of high-rise development, but allowing them to spread like a pox isn't going to help the area develop cohesively. The environmental questions raised about importing clay into the wetlands areas are real and should not be ignored. I say "should" because they probably will be ignored in the end. A project of this scope would be better placed in Biloxi or Gulfport, but the height restrictions around Keesler AFB make this an impossibility. Why not develop with density, but in a more sensible manner? Perhaps ten or twelve stories with an even more dense cluster of buildings at, say, six floors? this might make more economic sense and would possibly bring the project within the scope of the suggestions of the design review boards after Katrina. As a postscript, I wonder if the same developers are involved?

The Christian Science Monitor