Looking for opinions on NWA Mall / Macerich Co.

I am an independent Central Arkansas based business in the process of negotiating a retail space in the NWA Mall. I have enjoyed keeping up with Arkansas news for some time now via this messageboard and thought now was a good time to ask for some opinions. I am curious if any of you guys have any experience or opinions dealing with the Macerich Company or NWA Mall. Thank you in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an independent Central Arkansas based business in the process of negotiating a retail space in the NWA Mall. I have enjoyed keeping up with Arkansas news for some time now via this messageboard and thought now was a good time to ask for some opinions. I am curious if any of you guys have any experience or opinions dealing with the Macerich Company or NWA Mall. Thank you in advance.

I haven't had any dealing with them. I think Masons_dad1 has. I know he doesn't have many positive things to say about the mall. I've gotten the impression they can be hard to work with. I've always heard that Waldenbooks left because they were mad about being pushed around by them. I believe I also heard another bad incident with a software/gaming store. I got the impression they thought they had a lease renewal only to have them nix the deal and they had to suddenly look for another location in only a week or two's time. But I can't say whether if all of these is just rumor or if it actually happened like this. NWA is a good place to look at some retail space. I'm just not sure which area would be the best for you. Rogers is a really hot area right now. But I do think Fayetteville will continue to be a good spot as well.

By the way welcome to the forum Nomadic, glad you decided to participate. :)

I know two key members of their management team and they are great people. That is the only knowledge I have.

Thanks

I haven't had any dealing with them. I think Masons_dad1 has. I know he doesn't have many positive things to say about the mall. I've gotten the impression they can be hard to work with. I've always heard that Waldenbooks left because they were mad about being pushed around by them. I believe I also heard another bad incident with a software/gaming store. I got the impression they thought they had a lease renewal only to have them nix the deal and they had to suddenly look for another location in only a week or two's time. But I can't say whether if all of these is just rumor or if it actually happened like this. NWA is a good place to look at some retail space. I'm just not sure which area would be the best for you. Rogers is a really hot area right now. But I do think Fayetteville will continue to be a good spot as well.

By the way welcome to the forum Nomadic, glad you decided to participate. :)

I've seen some owners triple their sales in a good location within the mall. It all depends on what kind of product you are selling. I personally know a few small business owners that do very well, and then I've known some that have went bankrupt. Macerich can be a little tough to deal with but not noticeably different than any other mall. The main problem with the mall seems to be a lack of common sense. You don't put an expensive luggage shop down by sears, or vice versa. A good location is on the main strip by the food court. there is always a crowd.

I've seen some owners triple their sales in a good location within the mall. It all depends on what kind of product you are selling. I personally know a few small business owners that do very well, and then I've known some that have went bankrupt. Macerich can be a little tough to deal with but not noticeably different than any other mall. The main problem with the mall seems to be a lack of common sense. You don't put an expensive luggage shop down by sears, or vice versa. A good location is on the main strip by the food court. there is always a crowd.

That is a good point. Some areas of the mall are less desirable than others. That might also play into any decision.

Personally, I hate NWA Mall. But that's as a consumer and not as a business. I spent a year in NWA Mall managing a store called World of Science. It was a gift-type store specializing in science, nature and edutainment products. It was the most popular store in the mall. The company went bankrupt in 1999, so I don't know how that mall operates now.

Another specialty gift-type store specializing in American Indian and Southwest designs called Southwest Trade Company moved out of NWA Mall after around 5 years of being there. They are now located in Frisco Station Mall in Rogers. They moved because of the rent, but that's not to say the rent is unusually high. May just be that store didn't do much business, which is most likely the case.

I'd say if you operate a trendy national clothing store then NWA Mall is what you're looking for. When the new Pinnacle Promenade opens in Rogers with it's 135 specialty stores and then Pleasant Crossing a year later with over 100 specialty stores, NWA Mall may be easier to deal with since a lot of their business will definitely move to Rogers. I would shop around because just like the housing market in NWA retail space is in high demand and has higher cost per square foot than would be expected in this type of market.

Just as Mason's dad said, if you want to locate to NWA mall just wait until the other malls open and you will probably get a better price on rent. I do think that if you are a specialty store then Fayetteville is the best market because of our diverse population. Newer shopping areas (such as Rogers), seem to only support chains for the first few years.

I wish I could wait honestly to see if I could get a better negotiating stance after the other retail centers open. Unfortunately with my industry that is not an option. Fayetteville just recently became wide open as an existing business folded. My industry protects its vendors by only selling to one business for the area, so I have to get in as quick as possible.

I am a youth retailer so the mall is the best fit for me, being that my demographic cant drive for the most part. Mom usually doesnt mind going to the mall to shop....

Dealing with Macerich started out great, but now they are having second thoughts being that I am not a "Multimillion dollar corporation". Hopefully things pan out successfully. I can say this that despite that, dealing with them has been more pleasurable than Simon who I have mostly dealt with in the past. I dont have one positive thing to say about Simon malls. Just take a look at the shape of both of their malls in AR.

I will be back up in NWA in the next few weeks to look for possible destinations if the NWA Mall doesnt pan out. Thanks for the replys!!

I wish I could wait honestly to see if I could get a better negotiating stance after the other retail centers open. Unfortunately with my industry that is not an option. Fayetteville just recently became wide open as an existing business folded. My industry protects its vendors by only selling to one business for the area, so I have to get in as quick as possible.

I am a youth retailer so the mall is the best fit for me, being that my demographic cant drive for the most part. Mom usually doesnt mind going to the mall to shop....

Dealing with Macerich started out great, but now they are having second thoughts being that I am not a "Multimillion dollar corporation". Hopefully things pan out successfully. I can say this that despite that, dealing with them has been more pleasurable than Simon who I have mostly dealt with in the past. I dont have one positive thing to say about Simon malls. Just take a look at the shape of both of their malls in AR.

I will be back up in NWA in the next few weeks to look for possible destinations if the NWA Mall doesnt pan out. Thanks for the replys!!

Hopefully things work out for you. Can't say I'm too familiar with Simon malls. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure Macerich's only mall in Arkansas is the NWA Mall. I can't say I know who owns all the others in the state.

Archived