Does anyone know if construction has started in Arkansas on I-69?

soverbey

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly, I-69 is supposed to be going from Canada, through Indianapolis, Memphis, Shreveport, Houston, and Mexico. At some point along the way, it will cross from Mississippi into Arkansas. Has construction started on the Arkansas leg yet, does anyone know?

I've heard a lot of plans but I can't say I've actually heard of any construction starting yet. But that is the opposite part of the state from me. But I don't think any of the Arkansas part has been started yet.

Unless you count the Great River Bridge over the Mississippi River, or the I-69 "connector" from Pine Bluff to near Monticello (which will start out as a two-lane road, basically), then no.

For info on the Great River Bridge, check out this website: http://www.greenvillebridge.com/ (I guess in Mississippi they call it the Greenville Bridge, but everywhere else in the world I hear it referred to as the Great River Bridge, which I-69 will eventually utilize).

Now, SIU 13 goes from the bridge to near El Dorado, AR: http://i-69.dina.org/ I think it's already has environmental clearance, so now it just needs to wait for $$.

SIU 14, which goes from El Dorado to I think Shreveport or at least the LA line, is about to finish I think its environmental clearance: http://www.i69arkla.com/

When these segments of I-69 actually begin construction, well, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Unless you count the Great River Bridge over the Mississippi River, or the I-69 "connector" from Pine Bluff to near Monticello (which will start out as a two-lane road, basically), then no.

For info on the Great River Bridge, check out this website: http://www.greenvillebridge.com/ (I guess in Mississippi they call it the Greenville Bridge, but everywhere else in the world I hear it referred to as the Great River Bridge, which I-69 will eventually utilize).

Now, SIU 13 goes from the bridge to near El Dorado, AR: http://i-69.dina.org/ I think it's already has environmental clearance, so now it just needs to wait for $$.

SIU 14, which goes from El Dorado to I think Shreveport or at least the LA line, is about to finish I think its environmental clearance: http://www.i69arkla.com/

When these segments of I-69 actually begin construction, well, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Wow. They are really trying to attach themselves to this bridge. Isn't it paid from federal funds?

A greenville native is even making a documentary about it!

I really don't want this to known as the Greenville bridge.

Thanks for the pics, Mith-- I guess I'm too lazy to post those pics, but the Great River Bridge is going to be quite the man-made looker when completed IMO.

Hey you provided the links. :D

Wow. They are really trying to attach themselves to this bridge. Isn't it paid from federal funds?

A greenville native is even making a documentary about it!

I really don't want this to known as the Greenville bridge.

I imagine it will probably be called that because there isn't any Arkansas city of particular size in the area. Greenville will also be closer to it than Lake Village.

I know that U.S. 167/63 through El Dorado is a freeway. Will I-69 use that section or will the new freeway loop around the city? Also, I've heard that El Dorado was going to explode with growth when this highway is completed.

I haven't heard too many details about I-69. Maybe itk can fill us in.

Have the plans changed on the I-69 bridge? Not too long ago, the plans were to have the bridge cross at Rosedale, MS, quite a bit up river from Greenville. I was under impression that the new bridge from Lake Village to Greenville was just to replace the old one that was very narrow. Unless plans have changed recently, they are taking I-69 over the MS River at Rosedale.

The Great River Bridge and the Greenville Bridge aren't the same bridge. The Great River Bridge is the one to be constructed for I-69, crossing from Bolivar County, Miss. to Desha County, Ark. It's projected to cost around $565 million and be complete in 2010. The new US 82 Bridge crosses from Greenville to Lake Village, replacing one from 1940. It's cost is around $350 million and should open later this year. It does seem odd that two such bridges will cross in neighboring counties, and are being built within only a few years of each other. That's almost $1 billion in new bridges in the Delta!

These are both very attractive bridges.

Greenville Bridge:

greenvillebridges_print.jpg

Great River Bridge:

bridge.jpg

Here's an interesting article from the Oxford American about the history of the Great River Bridge project.

The Great River Bridge and the Greenville Bridge aren't the same bridge. The Great River Bridge is the one to be constructed for I-69, crossing from Bolivar County, Miss. to Desha County, Ark. It's projected to cost around $565 million and be complete in 2010. The new US 82 Bridge crosses from Greenville to Lake Village, replacing one from 1940. It's cost is around $350 million and should open later this year. It does seem odd that two such bridges will cross in neighboring counties, and are being built within only a few years of each other. That's almost $1 billion in new bridges in the Delta!

Greenville Bridge:

Great River Bridge:

bridge.jpg

Here's an interesting article from the Oxford American about the history of the Great River Bridge project.

Wow, they're twins....

Greenville is farther away, but larger in population than Lake Village.

Really I thought Greenville was rather close to the river.

Thanks for the info Arkansawyer.

I know that U.S. 167/63 through El Dorado is a freeway. Will I-69 use that section or will the new freeway loop around the city? Also, I've heard that El Dorado was going to explode with growth when this highway is completed.

Oh, everyone has heard of all sort of great things that will occur when I-69 gets built through southern Arkansas. Whether or not these areas like El Dorado will actually "explode with growth" remains to be seen, but I won't be holding my breath.

As I'm sure no one needs to be reminded, remember what happened in NWA in the 80's/90's before any four-lane highway or freeway visited them from the outside world. An exception to the rule? (i.e., does a city need a freeway connection to the outside world achieve economic growth?)-- an endless debate as far as I can see.

But as far as your question, no, I-69 will not use the existing freeways around El Dorado. See the environmental impact study, which shows a map of the preferred alignment: http://i-69.dina.org/meetings/final-impact.pdf In fact, it really won't even come close (it will "loop around" to the north and west of El Dorado).

Greenville Bridge:

Great River Bridge:

bridge.jpg

Well I'll be a [insert old Southern adage]. That's probably why I got mixed up with that Greenville Bridge website (it's because it's referred to as the US 82 Greenville Bridge, not the Great River Bridge).

What a great way to not confuse people-- make them look nearly identical! I'm sure Greenville really needed their bridge (not having driven over it, but I have heard bad stories about the old bridge...).

Now I definitely would tell people to not hold their breath for I-69 through Arkansas-- with the budget crunch facing state DOT's and FHWA, I can see this bridge being a low priority ("hey, you just got one built a few miles to the south!"). This bridge will need a massive infusion of federal ear-marks to get built.

Greenville Bridge:

Great River Bridge:

bridge.jpg

Is the new US-82 Bridge 4 lane or just 2? If it were 4 lane, I think it would be stupid to spend nearly 550 million on another bridge when you have one sitting to the south just a few miles. Hell they could just add another two lane bridge next to the new US-82 and therefore make it a 4 lane. This is perfect example why they don't have money to build projects, because the state and feds do stupid stuff like that.

Is the new US-82 Bridge 4 lane or just 2? If it were 4 lane, I think it would be stupid to spend nearly 550 million on another bridge when you have one sitting to the south just a few miles. Hell they could just add another two lane bridge next to the new US-82 and therefore make it a 4 lane. This is perfect example why they don't have money to build projects, because the state and feds do stupid stuff like that.

Both bridges are going to be 4-lane. We're not talking just a few miles apart, we're talking about 45 miles as birds fly...but due to the lack of roads in the area, they will be about 2 hours or more apart. The one from Lake Village to Greenville is being built to replace the narrow, dangerous bridge that is there now and is way too far south to carry I-69. The bridge that will carry I-69 is going to cross at Rosedale, MS. There are no bridges crossing anywhere near there. The new one being built at Greenville is almost on the LA line...the next crossing is at Helena, which is 3/4 of the way to Memphis...that means there isn't a bridge for over a hundred miles as birds fly and many hours of driving. There definitely is a need for both bridges to be built.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a link to a pdf file that shows the route that appears to have been approved. Looks like thr oute comes in west of El Dorado and passes about halfway between it and Camden. Then south of Hampton, north of Hermitage, then just south of Warren and Monticello. Looks like it will also be just north of McGehee. One thing I didn't realize is that the I-530 connector to I-69 will basically head straight south of Pine Bluff to just west of Monticello near Wilmar. I guess I had thought it would be a bit more southeast. Although this connection should do well near Monticello. I don't think any of I-69 has started yet but it sounds like the I-530 connector has already started.

http://i-69.dina.org/sui/pref_all.pdf

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived