Louisiana Business

NCB

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for...0/states/L.html

Here's the list of Louisiana's 5 Fortune 1000 companies, two of which are Fortune 500.

Entergy

State Rank: 1

Fortune 1000 Rank: 218

Revenues (in millions): 10,760.6

City: New Orleans

Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold

State Rank: 2

Fortune 1000 Rank: 480

Revenues (in millions): 4,179.1

City: New Orleans

Shaw Group

State Rank: 3

Fortune 1000 Rank: 564

Revenues (in millions): 3,327.2

City: Baton Rouge

CenturyTel

State Rank: 4

Fortune 1000 Rank: 697

Revenues (in millions): 2,479.3

City: Monroe

SCP Pool

State Rank: 5

Fortune 1000 Rank: 945

Revenues (in millions): 1,552.7

City: Covington

I know that Freeport-McMoRan was a F500 company in the late 80's but dropped out. It was gaining profits and revenues, but not as fast as other companies in the F500. Though if you look at the company profile on CNN Money(click the company name) you'll see that their profits and revenues have skyrocketed in the last couple of years. It's definately great to have another F500 company in New Orleans and Louisiana. I was sad to see that Shaw barely missed the cut, but hopefully they'll be back in there next year. And of course, it's great to see a F1000 company located right here in Covington!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any companies in Louisiana being on this list is awesome. I do wish there was at least one Fortune 1000 or Fortune 500 company in my area, but CenturyTel in Monroe is the closest thing.

I also like to see the New Orleans area have 3 companies on that list... it's extremely impressive. But for Baton Rouge's sake, I hate to see that Shaw is back out of the Fortune 500 again.

I do wish there was at least one Fortune 1000 or Fortune 500 company in my area, but CenturyTel in Monroe is the closest thing.

Do you know what company in the SBC area is closest to making the F1000 list?

I don't know that there is one. I believe Whitaker Construction was enormous, but the mayor had a vendetta toward them over the convention center and was one of the leading causes for their collapse. That company had everything going for it... until it started doing business with Shreveport's mayor.

As far as locally-based companies, I couldn't even begin to guess. None come to my mind as even being close, unless it's one of the oil companies. Shreveport had an awesome thing back when it became the headquarters for Standard Oil, but that ended when the oil business went bust here back in the 80s. Even wikipedia.com says Shreveport had become the oil capital of the United States after Standard Oil moved their headquarters here. That reputation is long-dead, but the remains of the business are still visible in this area. For example Oil City, a city that had become a Shreveport suburb of more than 10,000 people overnight, is still in existence, although its population is somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 now. But all throughout Oil City you can see the ruins of the huge oil area this used to be.

^I read that on wikipedia. Is the oil business big there in any way still? It used to be much bigger in south Louisiana before the bust, but is still a major economic factor here, is that the case in any way up there?

^I read that on wikipedia. Is the oil business big there in any way still? It used to be much bigger in south Louisiana before the bust, but is still a major economic factor here, is that the case in any way up there?

Well, we still have the Pennzoil refinery in west Shreveport, and there is an oil packaging plant at the Port. There are also tons of local oil companies around the area, as well as huge oil companies like Schlumberger and Halliburton. There are a couple of others whose names I can't think of. Key is one of them, but they may be local... I'm not sure.

I do know that local oilmen are beginning to take in the dough again. You can drive through south Bossier, Oil City, Vivian, Gilliam, etc and see old oil pumps, which haven't been pumping in years, pumping like crazy. Also, I know of two different oilmen who are showing their wealth in big ways right now. One is building a 10,000+ sq. ft. house right around the corner from the apartments I used to live in, in Shreveport's SpringLake area; the other one has purchased and heavily renovated an older home in the same area (SpringLake/Pierremont.) I drive past his house all the time when I go to and from lunch, and he's literally spent months having his backyard turned into a resort-like atmosphere. It looks amazing.

The signs are still there, but it's just not the same as it once was. Most of the older mansions along Ellerbe Road, in south Shreveport, were built on oil money decades ago. These are some gorgeous, stately homes, most of which sit on estates of many acres fronting Ellerbe Road, with tall wrought iron fences and electronic gates with high-tech security systems.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to keep this thread running, but to use it as a business thread, with business news and info from around the state? The idea just popped into my head, and I wanted to see what y'all thought.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to keep this thread running, but to use it as a business thread, with business news and info from around the state? The idea just popped into my head, and I wanted to see what y'all thought.

It couldn't hurt anything. Maybe it would even help get topics about the business environments in some of the areas of the state not currently being represented, like Lake Charles, Alex, and Monroe-West Monroe.

^Thats what I was thinking. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get those cities more involved in the discussion, along with Louisiana's other major cities.

The more Monroe, Lake Charles, Alexandria, and other Louisiana cities are mentioned, the better chances there are of someone finding this board on Google or some other search engine. ;)

Monroe, Monroe, Monroe.

Lake Charles, Lake Charles, Lake Charles.

Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria.

All great Louisiana cities. ;)

Absofrigginlutely, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Search engines are awesome advertising tools for sites like this.

Oh definately, and there have been quite a few times where I searched for some type of development, and an UrbanPlanet thread popped up first on the list on Google. If anyone searched Google for "Trump International Hotel and Tower New Orleans" for about 2 1/2 months, the first few things that would pop up would all be threads in the New Orleans forum.

Oh definately, and there have been quite a few times where I searched for some type of development, and an UrbanPlanet thread popped up first on the list on Google. If anyone searched Google for "Trump International Hotel and Tower New Orleans" for about 2 1/2 months, the first few things that would pop up would all be threads in the New Orleans forum.

Very cool. I didn't have quite that much luck with Shreveport-related queries, but I believe I found UP on the second or third page. Since I was in need of information, I was willing to dig through as many pages as it took to find what I needed.

Since I was in need of information, I was willing to dig through as many pages as it took to find what I needed.

Hopefully there will be some people from Lake Charles, Monroe, Alexandria, or wherever in Louisiana with the same attitude and luck!

Hopefully there will be some people from Lake Charles, Monroe, Alexandria, or wherever in Louisiana with the same attitude and luck!

I actually joined a Monroe forum and had a link to UP in my signature for a while. I didn't join with the intention of linking back here, but after I joined and read the forums there a bit, I got the clever idea to do so. I even double-checked with the forum Admin and he thought the people in Monroe could learn a thing or two from an urban development website. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone pop up and say they're from Monroe, despite my half-assed effort.

Believe it or not, El Dorado, AR has a Fortune 500 company, Murphy Oil. That was a big oil town in the good old days but now most of their holdings are in the Far East and Venezuela. They also hold the contract for Wal-Mart and Sam's gas stations. Anyway, I guess thats' a little more than an hour from Shreveport.

Believe it or not, El Dorado, AR has a Fortune 500 company, Murphy Oil. That was a big oil town in the good old days but now most of their holdings are in the Far East and Venezuela. They also hold the contract for Wal-Mart and Sam's gas stations. Anyway, I guess thats' a little more than an hour from Shreveport.

Oh... it's that Murphy! Wow, I didn't realize that.

I didn't know that at all. Thanks for the info, Aporkalypse!

I'll go ahead and start the "Louisiana Business" thread off with some new and big business news in the New Orleans area..

Chevron moving from New Orleans to Saint Tammany Parish

Article from NOLA

I hate to have to see Chevron leave downtown New Orleans, but I would be lying if I told you I wasn't even a little happy that they are moving here to Covington. 500 new jobs coming to the city, along with a new office tower and complex just off of HW. 190. And, anyone around here would rather see Chevron leave New Orleans for Saint Tammany Parish, and stay in the metro area, rather than move all of those jobs to Houston or Dallas. So them staying in the Greater New Orleans area is definately great. :thumbsup:

I'll go ahead and start the "Louisiana Business" thread off with some new and big business news in the New Orleans area..

Chevron moving from New Orleans to Saint Tammany Parish

Article from NOLA

I hate to have to see Chevron leave downtown New Orleans, but I would be lying if I told you I wasn't even a little happy that they are moving here to Covington. 500 new jobs coming to the city, along with a new office tower and complex just off of HW. 190. And, anyone around here would rather see Chevron leave New Orleans for Saint Tammany Parish, and stay in the metro area, rather than move all of those jobs to Houston or Dallas. So them staying in the Greater New Orleans area is definately great. :thumbsup:

That's great news, Nate... at least it stayed put in the metro New Orleans area, and it has to make you happy that it's in Covington rather than some other New Orleans-area city.

After reading on the Arkansas forum about Fayetteville, AR being #9 on Forbes' Best Places for Business 2006 list, and Little Rock being #22, I decided to check Louisiana larger metros and see where we ranked. Boy was I unpleasantly surprised. I thought we'd be pretty far back, but I didn't realize it would look like this:

127. New Orleans, LA

134. Baton Rouge, LA

135. Shreveport, LA

173. Lafayette, LA

And to be quite honest, of these four I didn't expect to see Lafayette that far behind.

After reading on the Arkansas forum about Fayetteville, AR being #9 on Forbes' Best Places for Business 2006 list, and Little Rock being #22, I decided to check Louisiana larger metros and see where we ranked. Boy was I unpleasantly surprised. I thought we'd be pretty far back, but I didn't realize it would look like this:

127. New Orleans, LA

134. Baton Rouge, LA

135. Shreveport, LA

173. Lafayette, LA

And to be quite honest, of these four I didn't expect to see Lafayette that far behind.

I just closed my firefox tab with that list, and honestly, I wasn't suprised to see New Orleans that far back, but I was expecting to see some other major LA cities higher on the list. Maybe in a few years we'll see something much better...

Archived