Louisiana Business

NCB

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shows how bad the rest of Arkansas is. Louisiana is in the middle of the list, not too bad.

I know!! We're typically down there at the bottom. so it's great to be in the middle. Typically Louisiana, Missississippi, and Arkansas are the bottom three states in everything, though thanks to NWA, Arkansas has really picked up in the last few years.

I know!! We're typically down there at the bottom. so it's great to be in the middle. Typically Louisiana, Missississippi, and Arkansas are the bottom three states in everything, though thanks to NWA, Arkansas has really picked up in the last few years.

Yeah unfortunately it's only managed to get us to pull a little further ahead of Mississippi.

Yea I've gotten so used to seeing Louisiana near the bottom of the list, that seeing them right in the middle was great. I wonder how much of Louisiana's GSP is pulled in by New Orleans/Baton Rouge and the rest of SE Louisiana?

Yea I've gotten so used to seeing Louisiana near the bottom of the list, that seeing them right in the middle was great. I wonder how much of Louisiana's GSP is pulled in by New Orleans/Baton Rouge and the rest of SE Louisiana?

Most, no doubt. I'd guess 60-70%, maybe more.

Looking at the GDP per person is probably a better measure of real impact on the national economy. I was expecting "Oh, so here is where Louisiana is at the bottom of the list," but they stayed in the middle again. :thumbsup:

1. Virginia $46,613.36

2. Texas $42,974.82

3. Georgia $40,155.08

4. North Carolina $40,155.08

5. Tennessee $37,984.83

6. Florida $37,889.50

7. Louisiana $36,764.74

8. Oklahoma $33,977.72

9. Kentucky $33,631.77

10. Alabama $32,865.80

11. South Carolina $32,848.01

12. Arkansas $31,233.25

13. Mississippi $27,454.50

Though you hate to see Mississippi so far behind in both of these categories, and then they have to deal with Katrina on top of that. New Orleans and the Louisiana coast have a set industry with a pretty heavy amount of money coming through, which will help tremendously in post-Katrina recovery. Meanwhile, Mississippi, as well as Louisiana, has to deal with setbacks in their industry post-Katrina, but they were lagging in that category even before the storm.

I just posted this in response to the topic of unemployment in the Shreveport-Bossier forum, but while looking over it I realized this was very noteworthy for the entire state of Louisiana because it goes beyond just Shreveport-Bossier:

According to this source, the April unemployment rate in Shreveport-Bossier was 3.6%, down from 3.7% in March. Judging by the following excerpt from the linked source above, the entire state is doing well with low unemployment rates, including Monroe which really surprised me:

"Unadjusted unemployment rates compare parishes and metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) to the state. The April 2006 unadjusted unemployment rate for Louisiana was 4.1 percent, down from the March 2006 rate of 4.4 percent. The unemployment rates for the MSAs were: Alexandria, 3.4 percent, down from 3.5 percent in March; Baton Rouge, 3.7 down from 4.0; Houma, 3.1, down from 3.3; Lafayette, 2.9, down from 3.1; Lake Charles, 3.2, down from 3.4; Monroe, 3.6, down from 3.8; New Orleans, 5.7, down from 6.1; and Shreveport-Bossier City, 3.6, down from 3.7 percent last month. Three parishes tied for the lowest unemployment rate at 2.7 percent; they were Cameron, Lafayette, and La Salle. East Carroll Parish had the highest unemployment rate with 8.5 percent for April."

Unrelated to Shreveport-Bossier, but extremely impressive and important to Louisiana as a whole, take a look at the last sentence regarding Cameron, Lafayette, and La Salle Parishes. Wow!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It was reported in the Money section of today's Times Picayune that Shell Oil has renewed its lease of over 650,000 square feet of office space in One Shell Square in downtown New Orleans for the next 10 years. That is huge news for the city, as many believed that Shell was considering moving its New Orleans office along with the jobs to the Northshore or consolidating in Houston at the expense of New Orleans. Very good news! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally, some more big business news for the state. :thumbsup:

State on steel maker's short list

Plant would mean thousands of jobs

Article from the Times Picayune

BATON ROUGE -- Giant German steel company ThyssenKrupp AG says it has focused on locations in Louisiana, Arkansas and Alabama as potential sites for a $3 billion steel mill complex, a project that state industry recruiters have called a "crown jewel" manufacturing facility that would employ more than 2,000 people.

A site in St. James Parish is on a short list of the company's choices, a parish official said.

And just a note, if the stat actually landed this plant, and that's a very big if, and the location did indeed end up in Saint James Parish, it would be located almost exactly between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Drawing workers from both metro regions, which would continue to connect the two metro's even more. Also, the amount of money brought into SE Louisiana and the state as a whole would be tremendous.

Saint James Parish:

St_James_Parish_Louisiana.png

And just a note, if the stat actually landed this plant, and that's a very big if, and the location did indeed end up in Saint James Parish, it would be located almost exactly between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Drawing workers from both metro regions, which would continue to connect the two metro's even more. Also, the amount of money brought into SE Louisiana and the state as a whole would be tremendous.

Saint James Parish:

St_James_Parish_Louisiana.png

• 1 month later...

Yea, right now New Orleans is in a big hole economically. It's pretty bleak right now, but I still think the future will be bright. We have alot of work to do here, but once things really get moving, the people really start coming, and most importantly, the money starts flowing, business will come back. Where there is money, there is business and development. Right now, there's not much money in New Orleans; we have quite a bit of development, but not so much of the latter. It will come, but like everything else in New Orleans right now, it's just a painstaking process.

This city has been through hell and back about 1,000 times. New Orleans has been burned to the ground twice, had yellow fever epidemics come through and kill over 40,000 people, it has been been through some of the worst Mississippi River floods in history, it has been overtaken by Union troops in the Civil War, it has been through some of the worst hurricanes in history in the late 1800's and early 1900's, it was flooded extremely heavily by Hurricane Betsy in 1965, and now Katrina in 2005. New Orleans is a city that has experienced many, many highs and lows through it's 320 year history; the city is in a low right now, but 10 years from now could be a very different story. New Orleans has been through it all, and has pulled through it every time. It will be no different here.

Arena League awards title game to N.O. for July '07

AFL revises plan with Las Vegas to bring ArenaBowl XXI to city

Article from the Times-Picayune

At a press conference at the New Orleans Arena on Monday, the Arena Football League and the New Orleans VooDoo will announce that ArenaBowl XXI will be held at the Arena on July 29.

Archived