Louisiana Business

NCB

Nate, are we talking a office tower for Covington in the range of 8(low-end) to 14 stories(high-end) ? I would be excited too ! How close would it be to the 6-story bldg. in Covington ?

Yeah, I'm suprised that the Louisiana's Cities would rank that low. How accurate is this list ? It's hard to believe.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nate, are we talking a office tower for Covington in the range of 8(low-end) to 14 stories(high-end) ? I would be excited too ! How close would it be to the 6-story bldg. in Covington ?

I'm really not sure. It may be an office complex, with a smaller central building with surrounding buildings, or it may just be one tower. I'm hoping for something about 10 story's, but anything will be welcome.

This will be located in the Northpark Office Park, which is right next to HW 190, a little less than a mile north of I-12. That 6 story apartment building is located about a mile north of where the Chevron building will be built, on the east edge of downtown Covington, on Boston Street, a few hundred feet away from HW 190. HW 190 is booming right now, and there honestly seems to be some new development every day. Whether it is interstate related, a car dealership, restaurant, retail shop, whatever.

Hey Richy, I just found this picture in my collection, and thought I'd post it. It is looking into downtown Covington from the HW. 190 Bogue Falaya River Bridge on an early Sunday morning. If you look to the right of the picture, that 6 story apartment building is visible in the trees. :D

IMG_0915.jpg

Thanks for the visual and map Nate. You did a good job of explaining it the on the previous post. But I really like maps.

There is alot of neighborhoods, not in the city limits just to the east there of hwy.190.

The Covington city limits are shaped like the State of New York, minus Long Island.

What do you think of I-12 being named "West Florida Republic Parkway" ? I remember seeing the new sign when they first put it up. just to the east of O'Neal Ln. in BR. I thought it was cool. Others did not think the name was so hot. I think it's neat to know that at one time you and I live what used to be Western Florida.

There is alot of neighborhoods, not in the city limits just to the east there of hwy.190.

Yea, and if Covington's city limits were extened a few miles outward to the east, the population would go up quite a bit.

What do you think of I-12 being named "West Florida Republic Parkway" ? I remember seeing the new sign when they first put it up. just to the east of O'Neal Ln. in BR. I thought it was cool. Others did not think the name was so hot. I think it's neat to know that at one time you and I live what used to be Western Florida.

I've really never even payed attention to the name, everyone around here just calls it I-12. But I don't have a problem with it being named that, and it does make you think about the fact that all of this area was once West Florida more.

After reading on the Arkansas forum about Fayetteville, AR being #9 on Forbes' Best Places for Business 2006 list, and Little Rock being #22, I decided to check Louisiana larger metros and see where we ranked. Boy was I unpleasantly surprised. I thought we'd be pretty far back, but I didn't realize it would look like this:

127. New Orleans, LA

134. Baton Rouge, LA

135. Shreveport, LA

173. Lafayette, LA

And to be quite honest, of these four I didn't expect to see Lafayette that far behind.

Here are the full rankings:

127 New Orleans LA 34 198 126 1,322,200

134 Baton Rouge LA 57 82 122 733,800

135 Shreveport LA 17 100 157 382,600

173 Lafayette LA 35 72 131 247,600

What I find odd is that Lafayette's ranking is almost identical to that of New Orleans, except Lafayette's job growth is much stronger (the first column is cost of doing business, second is job growth, third is education and fourth is population). Lafayette's rankings also beat Shreveport and Baton Rouge in two out of three categories (not including population).

Look at Reading, PA:

170 Reading PA 124 155 163 394,700

They are ahead of Lafayette in the ranking but score far worse on everything.

Also, these rankings are all over the place. In one your town will be at the top, in another near the bottom.

It is disappointing to see that Louisiana's cities scored so low in this particular ranking.

It is disappointing to see that Louisiana's cities scored so low in this particular ranking.

Yea, especially considering Forbes' ranking's are some of the most well known across the country.

I have not seen the list as of yet, but I have heard California is NOT what it once once in best place for business.

No California cities made it into the top 50, and the highest ranked CA city on the list was Santa Ana at #58.

If that is the case. We will easily be overlooked.

I have not seen the list as of yet, but I have heard California is NOT what it once once in best place for business.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As I said, lots of businesses and organizations take it into consideration. A smart business isn't going to base its decision solely on anyone's list, not even Forbes' list. But they will definitely take it into consideration, since Forbes is one of the nation's leading publications.

Businesses like Wal-Mart won't even give it a passing glance. They know what they're doing, as they have demographers and the like who help make their decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hill International Opens First Firm in South, In New Orleans

Article

This is great news. Hill International puts its first office in the Southern U.S. in New Orleans. The office now takes up the entire 29th floor of 1100 Poydras St.

offices.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The 2005 Southern GSP (Gross State Product) numbers have been released, and here is how it looked for Southern states:

1. Texas $982,403,000,000

2. Florida $674,049,000,000

3. Georgia $364,310,000,000

4. Virginia $352,745,000,000

5. North Carolina $344,641,000,000

6. Tennessee $226,502,000,000

7. Louisiana $166,310,000,000

8. Alabama $149,796,000,000

9. Kentucky $140,359,000,000

10. South Carolina $139,771,000,000

11. Oklahoma $120,549,000,000

12. Arkansas $86,802,000,000

13. Mississippi $80,197,000,000

Surprise, surprise. My state is pulling up the rear. At least it's not dead last. What's really sad is where Arkansas would be without my little corner of the state.

VERY true, Rod, VERY true. But I'm really surprised Louisiana ranks so much higher than Arkansas in GSP.

Archived