Latta Plantation

ncbrian

Well, I went back to Charlotte for another tour of the city with one major destination and that was the Latta Plantation located north of Charlotte. I always find these locations where time has stood still so to speak endlessly fascinating. The original house is there as well as some of the original support buildings of the plantation along with some rebuilt or reproduced structures. To tour the house will cost $5 per person but the rest of the site is free. Also in the vicinity are picnic parks along with riding trails which people were taking advantage of by bringing their horses out to the park. I have posted a photogallery at my blog for viewing.

After that some more driving around downtown Charlotte and then I hung out at the Starbucks on East St in the Dilworth neighbourhood then struck northward to check out the North Davidson neighbourhood people keep talking about. Could not find a place to park anywhere in the area and I was not sure that the old factory parking lots allowed parking so I just cruised the streets and promised myself to return. I like the fact that nearly every business there seems homegrown.

I really like the Charlotte area.

To see my impressions of my first day in Charlotte check this post along with the photo galleries on Galleries and on Snaps!.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latta Plantation is really a great park. There are numerous very long walking trails that go along the shore of Mountain Island lake. It's good for bikers, hikers, and horseback riders. The Carolina Raptor Center is also located there which takes care of injured birds of prey. It's a fascinating place to visit as it is one of the few places to see these animals up close, and its a good cause to support as well.

It is a fairly large park but relatively unknown in the Charlotte area so it is a good place to go to get away from the crowds. Thanks for posting the photos.

It is a good place to get away because signage and directions to the park are not promiently display when you come off I-77. It is a bit of a meandering type of a drive to get there and if you do not have good directions ( I used Google Maps), it could be easy to get lost.

i am always suprised at how many charlotteans I mention Latta Plantation to who have not been there or even know of it. I went a couple of weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the old house, meandering around the grounds, etc. Definitely a hidden treasure of Mecklenburg County.

Well I have to agree with you on that. I have noticed over the decades that I have lived here that many Charlotteans, including many who post here, have little interest in anything in the area that is outside of real estate areas 4, 5, 6, and downtown. It's their loss IMO.

Latta Plantation is a cool place.

Well I have to agree with you on that. I have noticed over the decades that I have lived here that many Charlotteans, including many who post here, have little interest in anything in the area that is outside of real estate areas 4, 5, 6, and downtown. It's their loss IMO.

I agree, that is very true

If people don't know where Areas 4, 5 and 6 are:

http://www.charlotte-eba.com/images/map_lg_bit.gif

Archived