I-22

soverbey

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a new interstate that I heard of long ago that would go from B'ham to Memphis roughly following US Hwy 78, does anyone know of an update on what's going on with this project?

Yeah it is almost complete except for a part leading into Birmingham. The signs are up and they are finishing up the last portion. The ride now is 4 lane all the way and very smooth.

Yeah it is almost complete except for a part leading into Birmingham. The signs are up and they are finishing up the last portion. The ride now is 4 lane all the way and very smooth.

So it's complete all the way to the MS/TN state line? Any word on how/when it will tie into the Memphis interstate system?

US 78 in Tennessee will be widened and improved in three stages from the Mississippi state line to Getwell Road between 2009 and 2017. I don't think it will be an Interstate type highway, but it will have many lanes and will move traffic more efficiently.

There are currently no plans to improve the connection from Getwell to I-240.

• 1 year later...

i-022f_ms.jpg

I-22 between Jasper and B'ham is open. Read the article here.

There are folks in Alabama and Georgia who would like to see the freeway extended from it's current end in B'ham to the Atlantic Sea Ports at Brunswick, GA. Read about it here. Are there any rumors or discussions or articles about this in the Memphis area?

I-22-color.JPG

i-022f_ms.jpg

I-22 between Jasper and B'ham is open. Read the article here.

There are folks in Alabama and Georgia who would like to see the freeway extended from it's current end in B'ham to the Atlantic Sea Ports at Brunswick, GA. Read about it here. Are there any rumors or discussions or articles about this in the Memphis area?

I-22-color.JPG

Archived